CX9 brake switch replacement (adjustment?)

Hi there!

I have a 2012 CX9 GT with lots of miles (278k I think at last check) and I love it. Recently had an issue with faltering acceleration (almost like a misfire, but it doesn't feel like an engine combustion type issue). Also the cruise control no longer will work - I can turn on the function, but it will not set or hold. This has led me to suspect the brake switch as being faulty. This would cause the cruise control to disengage and also affect the acceleration as it cancels out when it senses the brakes are being depressed. I have removed the brake switch and will be picking up a new one tonight (or in the morning) and was wondering if anyone knew how to properly adjust or install the new switch. I figured for $28 it was a simple quick fix that if it works, will be a slam dunk. Any helpers out there?

The light switch may not be the problem. It is a simple on/off plunger switch. Easy to replace - 1/4 turn and it is out of there. in the 2009 it is green.

Likely, your issue is with the brake pedal position switch which is what the light switch plugs into. On my 2009 it is black and has a white plunger that sticks out and contacts the brake pedal. there it also houses the cable that controls the interlock for the transmission. The white plunger that sticks out the back of this switch is what activated the light switch (which is needed to make the cruise control work). I replaced the brake booster in my 2009 and I could not get this plunger to re-set / work right. Ended up having to epoxy a 3/16 spacer to the brake pedal contact pad. That made the lights and cruise work right. This is probably a Mazda only part. Good luck.

Back