CX-9 Rear Cargo Liner Options?

Hey all, wondering if anyone has either the Interior Mazda soft liner or the hard liner for the rear? I’m hoping people have any feedback on either of them. The soft liner claims to cover even the second row when folded down but the pics don’t show that. The hard liner only covers the trunk area and the 3rd row when folded down. I’d prefer the hard liner but willing to go with the soft liner since it’s cheaper and also claims to cover the second row. Hoping people have some feedback to share. Thanks.

I have the Weather Tech that covers the 3rd row. It has a lip around the edge that come up about an inch which keeps liquid in. I have had a couple of instances where I have spilled some liquid and it kept it contained. I don't think a soft liner will do that.

I have the OEM Cargo tray. I like it because I don't need to remove it when I lift the 3rd row up. It isn't as good against spill because of the obvious break between the 3rd row and the cargo space and it doesn't cover the side pockets though.

Almost went with this one but decided against it to keep the 3rd row functionality (cheaper and better than weather tech for this specific application in my opinion).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Of course none of these cover the 2nd row. I have never seen the soft cover in person, I would be interested to hear about it but I feel like the extra material would always kind of be messy and in the way when not in use (the bumper protector and the material to cover the 2nd row). You also would have to remove it or roll it out of the way when raising the 3rd row.

I have the OEM Cargo tray. I like it because I don't need to remove it when I lift the 3rd row up. It isn't as good against spill because of the obvious break between the 3rd row and the cargo space and it doesn't cover the side pockets though.

Almost went with this one but decided against it to keep the 3rd row functionality (cheaper and better than weather tech for this specific application in my opinion).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Of course none of these cover the 2nd row. I have never seen the soft cover in person, I would be interested to hear about it but I feel like the extra material would always kind of be messy and in the way when not in use (the bumper protector and the material to cover the 2nd row). You also would have to remove it or roll it out of the way when raising the 3rd row.
I am really considering the OEM you have b/c of the 3rd row functionality. Do you have any other feedback on it?

I can try and add a bit, but it really depends on what you are looking to use it for.

The mat is made of 3 pieces. one for the cargo area and a for each 3rd seat. Like I said, the cargo mat does not cover the side pocket, it is about the same size as the removable piece that gives access to the compartment underneath the cargo floor. The 3rd piece have cut outs to access the folding mechanisms. They have plugs you can use to plug the access point but I never use them.

Some installation is required. The cargo mat for the 3rd row is velcro'ed (+ screwed if you follow the instructions to the letter) to the back of the 3rd row seat. They stay there semi-permanently (you can always un-velcro them to remove them for cleaning, etc).

This hard to explain but the thing to know about the third row is that the seat hinge/folding location is lower than the rear cargo floor. This is normal but that means that when the seat are up, you only see maybe 3/4 of the back of the seat, the other 1/4 is below the cargo area. So when the seat are up, the 3rd row cargo mat looks like it is the full length of the back of the seat, but when you fold them down, the bottom 1/4 of the seat is exposed. I guess they couldn't make the cover fit underneath the cargo floor when the seat are up. To ensure full coverage with the seat down, the cargo piece as a flap that covers that area when the seat are down and folds up and rest against the back of the seat when they are up. That flap is just rubber so it sometimes fall down in the cargo area or doesn't really fold back down when you fold the seat. This is annoying but really just a minor annoyance since you usually just throw stuff on top of it after anyway which puts it back down in place. It also is a little bit in the way of the folding mechanism for the 3r row, you kind of have to move it out of the way slightly to pull the handle fully, but it is not hard. (You can see what I mean on the photo with the 3rd row up on the link i provided.)

I think it works well for general dirt protection, but wouldn't be great for large spills. There is a channel all around but it doesn't really have a lip that would contain water. There are also multiple leak path such has the cutout for the folding mechanism, the space between the 2 x seats and where the trunk portion overlaps the 3rd row seat. So not great for water related protection.

But, you can leave it in place at all time with any configuration (2 x seat up, 2 x seat down, 1 seat up, etc.)

So bottom line of my reviews

Pros:
- thick solid rubber
- is always on and work regardless of the seat configuration
- Not slippery at all (prevent items from sliding)

Cons
- Not good against large spills
- flap is a bit annoying
- require installation (but fairly simple installation).
- it is not cheap
- Not slippery at all (not great to retrieve heavy items all the way against the 2nd row)
-Does not cover the side pocket (or is it a good: still allow access to the side pocket under compartment? )

With all that though, the best protection is the protection that is there when you need it. There is no point in having the most waterproof cargo mat if it is sitting in your garage because you had to use the 3rd row the day before. And you don't have the issue of having to fill up all your cargo space with a rolled up cargo tray if you need to use the 3rd for an impromptu family members joining you at the last minute on a trip somewhere. I guess it depends on your need

P.S. many users have reported that the installation works fine with the velcro only and without the screws. The screws just hold the velcro more securely. I ended up putting them in because when I slide heavy items on top of the cargo tray I was afraid the velcro wouldn't hold up.

Last edited:
Hey all, wondering if anyone has either the Interior Mazda soft liner or the hard liner for the rear? I’m hoping people have any feedback on either of them. The soft liner claims to cover even the second row when folded down but the pics don’t show that. The hard liner only covers the trunk area and the 3rd row when folded down. I’d prefer the hard liner but willing to go with the soft liner since it’s cheaper and also claims to cover the second row. Hoping people have some feedback to share. Thanks.

I went with 2 different routes for my 2019 CX-9. Posted the results here. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...one-to-your-cx-9-today.123863211/post-6683391

Overall I am happy with both.

Post some pics with how you end up going.

I can try and add a bit, but it really depends on what you are looking to use it for.

The mat is made of 3 pieces. one for the cargo area and a for each 3rd seat. Like I said, the cargo mat does not cover the side pocket, it is about the same size as the removable piece that gives access to the compartment underneath the cargo floor. The 3rd piece have cut outs to access the folding mechanisms. They have plugs you can use to plug the access point but I never use them.

Some installation is required. The cargo mat for the 3rd row is velcro'ed (+ screwed if you follow the instructions to the letter) to the back of the 3rd row seat. They stay there semi-permanently (you can always un-velcro them to remove them for cleaning, etc).

This hard to explain but the thing to know about the third row is that the seat hinge/folding location is lower than the rear cargo floor. This is normal but that means that when the seat are up, you only see maybe 3/4 of the back of the seat, the other 1/4 is below the cargo area. So when the seat are up, the 3rd row cargo mat looks like it is the full length of the back of the seat, but when you fold them down, the bottom 1/4 of the seat is exposed. I guess they couldn't make the cover fit underneath the cargo floor when the seat are up. To ensure full coverage with the seat down, the cargo piece as a flap that covers that area when the seat are down and folds up and rest against the back of the seat when they are up. That flap is just rubber so it sometimes fall down in the cargo area or doesn't really fold back down when you fold the seat. This is annoying but really just a minor annoyance since you usually just throw stuff on top of it after anyway which puts it back down in place. It also is a little bit in the way of the folding mechanism for the 3r row, you kind of have to move it out of the way slightly to pull the handle fully, but it is not hard. (You can see what I mean on the photo with the 3rd row up on the link i provided.)

I think it works well for general dirt protection, but wouldn't be great for large spills. There is a channel all around but it doesn't really have a lip that would contain water. There are also multiple leak path such has the cutout for the folding mechanism, the space between the 2 x seats and where the trunk portion overlaps the 3rd row seat. So not great for water related protection.

But, you can leave it in place at all time with any configuration (2 x seat up, 2 x seat down, 1 seat up, etc.)

So bottom line of my reviews

Pros:
- thick solid rubber
- is always on and work regardless of the seat configuration
- Not slippery at all (prevent items from sliding)

Cons
- Not good against large spills
- flap is a bit annoying
- require installation (but fairly simple installation).
- it is not cheap
- Not slippery at all (not great to retrieve heavy items all the way against the 2nd row)
-Does not cover the side pocket (or is it a good: still allow access to the side pocket under compartment? )

With all that though, the best protection is the protection that is there when you need it. There is no point in having the most waterproof cargo mat if it is sitting in your garage because you had to use the 3rd row the day before. And you don't have the issue of having to fill up all your cargo space with a rolled up cargo tray if you need to use the 3rd for an impromptu family members joining you at the last minute on a trip somewhere. I guess it depends on your need

P.S. many users have reported that the installation works fine with the velcro only and without the screws. The screws just hold the velcro more securely. I ended up putting them in because when I slide heavy items on top of the cargo tray I was afraid the velcro wouldn't hold up.
I don’t think I saw a link anywhere in your post. Did u forget to add it?

The link may be broken. Here it is again:

Just found out husky also now makes a new cargo liner that also allows the 3rd row to fold up. This wasn't available when I looked last year. It may be better than the OEM because it is a single piece and also cover the side bins (and way cheaper as well), as long as it folds easily when bringing the 3rd row up.

I have the front and second row husky liners and in my opinion they are just as good if not better than the weatherech (they also cover the dead pedal completely unlike the weathertech), but I don't know if the cargo liner is just as good.

Just found out husky also now makes a new cargo liner that also allows the 3rd row to fold up. This wasn't available when I looked last year. It may be better than the OEM because it is a single piece and also cover the side bins (and way cheaper as well), as long as it folds easily when bringing the 3rd row up.

I have the front and second row husky liners and in my opinion they are just as good if not better than the weatherech (they also cover the dead pedal completely unlike the weathertech), but I don't know if the cargo liner is just as good.
Nice 👍🏽 find with the Husky that folds. This looks like a solid option. Wish I knew about this before buying mine.

347F6ACE-557C-4494-97F6-A188079B8877.png

Its one piece but if you want to raise the 2 seats independently you need to cut it down the middle between the 2 seats. And you need to cut the openings for the 3rd row sear handle as well. You can see that in the installation instructions. But yeah for the price i would have definitely given it a try. It must be brand new, because it wasn’t available last year.

So I ended up keeping the OEM rear mats and then I took my old floor mats from my previous car and cut them to shape for the corners. Now the whole rear section is covered.

Bumping up an older thread in case folks are looking for photos of the Mazda OEM cargo liner option. Overall I really like it. With a dog and kids it was pretty much impossible to keep the rear carpet clean. Vacuuming it so regularly was actually starting to wear it out.

I picked these up for $130 from the local Mazda and I think they look pretty sharp. Install was pretty easy to. The drill is needed as you have to drill 10 mm to pierce the seat back to secure the seat back rubber vertically. I ended up going for these over the WeatherTech cargo liner since I need to split the rear seats regularly and don't have a ton of stuff that needs liquid containment.

I'll see how they hold up long term but so far so good. Definitely shop around your local dealers if you want to pick them up. Two dealers on opposite sides of the Twin Cities wanted $128 and $170 respectively.

My only complaint is the flap at the bottom of the seat base kinda falls back towards the tailgate when the seat back is up. I think i can clean that up with a piece of heavy duty Velcro but since the seats are usually flat its not urgent.

Attachments

• 20230402_153528.jpg
    20230402_153528.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230402_161912.jpg
    20230402_161912.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230402_161710.jpg
    20230402_161710.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 87
Bumping up an older thread in case folks are looking for photos of the Mazda OEM cargo liner option. Overall I really like it. With a dog and kids it was pretty much impossible to keep the rear carpet clean. Vacuuming it so regularly was actually starting to wear it out.

I picked these up for $130 from the local Mazda and I think they look pretty sharp. Install was pretty easy to. The drill is needed as you have to drill 10 mm to pierce the seat back to secure the seat back rubber vertically. I ended up going for these over the WeatherTech cargo liner since I need to split the rear seats regularly and don't have a ton of stuff that needs liquid containment.

I'll see how they hold up long term but so far so good. Definitely shop around your local dealers if you want to pick them up. Two dealers on opposite sides of the Twin Cities wanted $128 and $170 respectively.

My only complaint is the flap at the bottom of the seat base kinda falls back towards the tailgate when the seat back is up. I think i can clean that up with a piece of heavy duty Velcro but since the seats are usually flat its not urgent.

I have that same rear cargo liner, installed before I took delivery in 2018. It's held up really, really well, and saved me from a bunch of minor spills (bit of used oil, and a bunch of spilled stews/soups/leaky juice and milk jugs).

I am late to the party by quite a few years but wanted to give some feedback about the soft cargo liner. When I bought CX-9 last year I was also contemplating which cargo cover to choose. I really like the OEM cargo cover in my CX-5 - covering the trunk space and also the side pockets which could be still used. That was not the case with OEM rubber liner for CX-9 and additionally did not like the idea of this foldable lip that extends after folding 3rd row. So ultimately I went with the soft liner and maybe some people might find this info useful.

1. It is weather proof - it is soft but rubberized material and is water proof and it appears to be quite sturdy. It does not cover side pockets so they remain exposed and it is flat so it won't contain any major spills but it will protect the surface underneath well.

2. There is an extension that can cover the bumper, if not being used you can easily fold it and put it in the under floor compartment so it is not visible.

3. There is also an extension for the folded 2nd row, if not being used it can be folded down and store it in the very smart pockets at the top of the 3rd row part. It is reasonably flat after folding and secured with velcro straps so it does not take any space. Once extended it covers completely the 3rd and 2nd row when the seats are folded.

You can use velcro straps for more permanent/secure attachment but it does have sort of non-skid underneath surface so at this point I decided not to use it. The top portion for the 3rd row cover is attached to the top of the backrest with holes for the headrests.
It is working well and it is quite useful during camping or ski trips - easy to wipe or vacuum it or even remove it if needed.

There is a link with pictures and manual if someone is interested:
https://mazdashop.ca/products/soft-cargo-liner-mazda-cx-9-2016-2023

Last edited:
I have that same rear cargo liner, installed before I took delivery in 2018. It's held up really, really well, and saved me from a bunch of minor spills (bit of used oil, and a bunch of spilled stews/soups/leaky juice and milk jugs).
man you guys are living in the future, I use a 20'x10' tarp, and a piece of thick cardboard to span the gap between second and third row.

man you guys are living in the future, I use a 20'x10' tarp, and a piece of thick cardboard to span the gap between second and third row.

If it works, why not? Lol. I got my mats for free. If I didn't, I would be using a heavy duty picnic/beach blanket.

Back