Anyone try removing the third row seats? CX-9 2016

Biscuit

:
Cx-9 2016
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried or considered removing the 3rd row seats? I'm considering this as an option to addressing the storage issue of the spare tyre and a full size wheel. Like some have already pointed out and asked the question of what to do with the full size wheel if you get a flat. Leaving it at the side of the road is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

If you're removing the third row because nobody is sitting there, then why not just fold it down and place the flat on top??

If you're removing the third row because nobody is sitting there, then why not just fold it down and place the flat on top??

Assuming Im on a road trip around Australia then the
Cargo space is already going to be fully utilised hence the storage problem.

I would never do that just because you might get a flat tire someday with a full load. What I would suggest is if you're on a road trip, prepare for such a scenario. Pack rope/tie downs so that you could strap soft cargo to the roof so that the wheel could be loaded inside. Also keep in mind you'll have the spare well to put other objects. And if this has to be a temporary fix you could find a nearby shipping store and ship the wheel back home.

Fold the third row down and enjoy how they add to the vehicle's overall interior quietness. Remove the third row and interior noise will go up - if you care.

Ironically, we were just talking about the lack of a full size spare in this vehicle yesterday and how nice it would be to have one. We came to the conclusion that 'it is what it is' and decided to not think about it anymore.

I would never do that just because you might get a flat tire someday with a full load. What I would suggest is if you're on a road trip, prepare for such a scenario. Pack rope/tie downs so that you could strap soft cargo to the roof so that the wheel could be loaded inside. Also keep in mind you'll have the spare well to put other objects. And if this has to be a temporary fix you could find a nearby shipping store and ship the wheel back home.

Let me elaborate a little on my original question.
The reason I want to know about the removal of the 3rd row seats is because I believe the floor for the 3rd row of seats restricts the storage of a full size spare. Thre way it is now that space is a snug fit for the "biscuit spare" as the spare slides under the ledge formed by the 3rd floor. If you have a CX-9 check it out and confirm what I'm trying to explain.
As my question is only about the idea of removing the 3rd row and its floor any other discussion regarding what to do with the spare would be pointless.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.
Cheers

Fold the third row down and enjoy how they add to the vehicle's overall interior quietness. Remove the third row and interior noise will go up - if you care.

Ironically, we were just talking about the lack of a full size spare in this vehicle yesterday and how nice it would be to have one. We came to the conclusion that 'it is what it is' and decided to not think about it anymore.

I would happily put up with the noise knowing I had a proper spare with me in case of emergency rather than the toy wheel supplied by Mazda. "it is what it is" attitude would have us still in the bronze age not driving a CX-9 with a major oversight for a car supposedly built for Australian conditions and distances.

Don’t know if OP is still looking into this but based on the service manual removing the third row seats looks surprisingly easy. If there is interest i might be able to find some time to do a quick write up on it.

Don’t know if OP is still looking into this but based on the service manual removing the third row seats looks surprisingly easy. If there is interest i might be able to find some time to do a quick write up on it.

@youri I would be interested in removing the third row seats if you are willing to research it in the manual. I never use the rear seats and feel that removing the seat cushion and seat back would provide a significant increase in storage capacity. I used to do the same thing occasionally in my old 1991 VW Golf. Removing the rear seat only required two bolts being removed and created a surprisingly large and open cargo hold.

I'm planning a trip across three provinces here in Canada later this summer. From my first camping trip this past weekend, the CX-9 seems to be more cramped than my older Murano was (and that's with the 3rd row seats folded down, with them up, it compares more with my Honda Prelude). Which surprised me because on paper the CX-9 should have tons more room. But the low ceiling and raked hatch really limits what you can stuff in that. So I really want to remove the rear seats to make for some extra cargo room (it would be only for the trip, I'd replace those seats afterwards).

If anyone has done this already or has an idea of what's involved, that would be nice. Removing seats usually just involves a few large bolts, although on some cars you have to access them from underneath. Curious as to what's involved with the CX-9 3rd row seat removal.

I'm planning a trip across three provinces here in Canada later this summer. From my first camping trip this past weekend, the CX-9 seems to be more cramped than my older Murano was (and that's with the 3rd row seats folded down, with them up, it compares more with my Honda Prelude). Which surprised me because on paper the CX-9 should have tons more room. But the low ceiling and raked hatch really limits what you can stuff in that. So I really want to remove the rear seats to make for some extra cargo room (it would be only for the trip, I'd replace those seats afterwards).

If anyone has done this already or has an idea of what's involved, that would be nice. Removing seats usually just involves a few large bolts, although on some cars you have to access them from underneath. Curious as to what's involved with the CX-9 3rd row seat removal.

When I bought mine used, the cleaning guys had removed the plastic caps over the feet on the third row and apparently didn’t know how to put them back on. It’s as easy as you’re saying at least for the front. Back would be easy to check too. Just remove all the cargo pieces and spare tire

I took out the 3rd row seating in my 08 cx9 I also do not have a spare anymore but def increased storage space not having both.(I'm just waiting on a new rim for my spare cuz I'm not dealing with another doughnut) and I've either grown customer to the noise or there isn't much of a difference with having or not having them cuz even when I don't have my system going it's not a loud ride, to me atleast.

Hi there, I've been trying to locate a service manual for my Mazda CX-8 2020 model and am having no luck. I'm looking for instructions on how to remove/replace second and third row seats so that I can install seat covers. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried or considered removing the 3rd row seats? I'm considering this as an option to addressing the storage issue of the spare tyre and a full size wheel. Like some have already pointed out and asked the question of what to do with the full size wheel if you get a flat. Leaving it at the side of the road is not an option.

Thanks in advance.
A full tire will fit under the CX-9

Back