CX-5 with carplay but no wireless carplay

Just got a CX-5 and it comes with a 8 inch screen and carplay. I got the trim that says only carplay, while i saw more updated trims have wireless carplay. Mine though has wifi as well to connect to my phone, and ofcourse bluetooth. Since wireless carplay basically works over bluetooth and wifi, im wondering if theres some way for me to get wireless carplay so far? Maybe theres some "hack" to enable this? My other option is to get something like the carlinkit 4.0 that connects to my usb port in car and then does wireless carplay. Is tht my only option?

Yea thats the only option today.
The US models of cx5 dont come with wireless carplay.

`what's weird is that CarPlay works on bluetooth and wifi, both of which are present in the cx5. so makes me wonder why they haven't enabled it and its probably one of those forced software locks. hardware is there but maybe only some regions or trims software unlock the feature (for whatever reason)

We also took delivery of our cx-5 carbon edition which said android auto & wireless apple car play. I have a Samsung and not sure if the wireless feature applies to iphones only, which doesnt make sense, also said there was wireless charging, also non existant. Most probably will have to buy out an adaptor.

Last edited:
Some CX5 trim levels have Wireless charger in front of the gear lever. Did you look there? There should be a sign and a button on the right side.

Just got a CX-5 and it comes with a 8 inch screen and carplay. I got the trim that says only carplay, while i saw more updated trims have wireless carplay. Mine though has wifi as well to connect to my phone, and ofcourse bluetooth. Since wireless carplay basically works over bluetooth and wifi, im wondering if theres some way for me to get wireless carplay so far? Maybe theres some "hack" to enable this? My other option is to get something like the carlinkit 4.0 that connects to my usb port in car and then does wireless carplay. Is tht my only option?

Just a tip but if you're looking for help it would be good for others to know what car and what trim level you have, don't ya think?

Just a tip but if you're looking for help it would be good for others to know what car and what trim level you have, don't ya think?
I'll avoid being snarky and just give you a straight response. I've already mentioned that I have the 2023 cx5 with the trim with airplay but no wireless airplay. Mazda actually uses different terminology for their trims in difference regions. For example where I am it's entry, mid and high. In the US its 2.5 s, 2.5s select, 2.5s preferred and 2.5s carbon edition. In Australia it's max sport, GT etc. So I didn't think mentioning the actual trim name was important as nobody will know what the trim actually is. Thus I mentioned it's the trim with carplay, but not the higher trim with wireless carplay. So to answer your question it's the cx5 base trim.

I'll avoid being snarky and just give you a straight response. I've already mentioned that I have the 2023 cx5 with the trim with airplay but no wireless airplay. Mazda actually uses different terminology for their trims in difference regions. For example where I am it's entry, mid and high. In the US its 2.5 s, 2.5s select, 2.5s preferred and 2.5s carbon edition. In Australia it's max sport, GT etc. So I didn't think mentioning the actual trim name was important as nobody will know what the trim actually is. Thus I mentioned it's the trim with carplay, but not the higher trim with wireless carplay. So to answer your question it's the cx5 base trim.

I just now reread this thread, and nowhere do I see you mentioning what car or trim level you have (except directly above). Did I miss it somewhere?

You had to resist the urge to get snarky with me because I suggested that you include your vehicle info for us to see? If you want to get snarky with me, feel free, I can handle it. I can also hand it back as well.

As for there being different nomenclature for different models around the world, some of us can translate if we were so inclined.

Have you noticed that some folks here on the forum have their car's info either in their sig or below our avatar? Can you guess why?

Last edited:
I just now reread this thread, and nowhere do I see you mentioning what car or trim level you have (except directly above). Did I miss it somewhere?

You had to resist the urge to get snarky with me because I suggested that you include your vehicle info for us to see? If you want to get snarky with me, feel free, I can handle it. I can also hand it back as well.

As for there being different nomenclature for different models around the world, some of us can translate if we were so inclined.

Have you noticed that some folks here on the forum have their car's info either in their sig or below our avatar? Can you guess why?
"Just got a CX-5 and it comes with a 8 inch screen and carplay. I got the trim that says only carplay, while i saw more updated trims have wireless carplay. Mine though has wifi as well to connect to my phone, and ofcourse bluetooth. "

This is a lot more descriptive to diagnose a problem and suggest solutions than providing a random trim name. Nowhere in trim description on website does it mention for example wifi. Also telling people I have an 8 inch screen similarly tells people which system it has (the old one with the red icons).

Don't need to respond to your other comments, if you don't want to help/can't help not sure why you're indulging this conversation. I understand it's a niche question and people may not have an answer which is totally fine.

That's a perfectly reasonable suggestion, subsequent protests notwithstanding. You'd think just saying "2013 XYZ model with ABC trim" would be easier than two posts and four paragraphs. Some people just don't want to be told what to do even if that's not what it is at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a perfectly reasonable suggestion, subsequent protests notwithstanding. You'd think just saying "2013 XYZ model with ABC trim" would be easier than two posts and four paragraphs. Some people just don't want to be told what to do even if that's not what it is at all.
2023 cx5 base trim.

Amazing how everybody wants to debate the structure of question than just saying they don't know the answer.

2023 cx5 base trim.

Amazing how everybody wants to debate the structure of question than just saying they don't know the answer.
Suit yourself. Though participants here are overwhelmingly North American, folks from other parts of the world do check in from time to time. Also, some folks go out of their way to do research if basic information is provided, such as the actual trim and country of origin, though I won't be doing that.

Did you come for a possible answer or just to complain?

2023 cx5 base trim.

To be fair, they may have answers, but referencing trim level might be easier for them to interpret. I personally see no issue with the way you structured your question.

There are many different ways to interpret a response on an online forum - sometimes they can come off as "snarky" when there is no disrespect intended. It comes down to the way the response is written, and perhaps more importantly, the tone interpreted by the reader.

Now that trim level has been clarified, let's move past this and see if we can get you some more answers.

As for post #3, it may be as simple as Apple having an additional per vehicle license fee for wireless CarPlay that Mazda does not want to pay for in certain trims or locales.

"Just got a CX-5 and it comes with a 8 inch screen and carplay. I got the trim that says only carplay, while i saw more updated trims have wireless carplay. Mine though has wifi as well to connect to my phone, and ofcourse bluetooth. "

This is a lot more descriptive to diagnose a problem and suggest solutions than providing a random trim name. Nowhere in trim description on website does it mention for example wifi. Also telling people I have an 8 inch screen similarly tells people which system it has (the old one with the red icons).

Don't need to respond to your other comments, if you don't want to help/can't help not sure why you're indulging this conversation. I understand it's a niche question and people may not have an answer which is totally fine.

You know, initially, I suggested that you list the details of your CX in an effort to help you out in a small way. I won’t be making that mistake again…

To be fair, they may have answers, but referencing trim level might be easier for them to interpret. I personally see no issue with the way you structured your question.

There are many different ways to interpret a response on an online forum - sometimes they can come off as "snarky" when there is no disrespect intended. It comes down to the way the response is written, and perhaps more importantly, the tone interpreted by the reader.

Now that trim level has been clarified, let's move past this and see if we can get you some more answers.
Yes you're totally right I may have misinterpreted how someone framed the question or suggestion. It's my first time on this forum and first time with mazda so I'm not really sure what people find easier to interpret: trim levels, descriptives or something else.

I also find it quite weird or annoying how in different regions most manufacturers include such varying levels of equipment in similar models. My bmw 430i in two different countries comes with two very different sets of equipment/default features. I thought it was a bmw problem but turns out most manufacturers tend to do this.

Anyway random musings aside, I figured after a bunch of research it's probably not worth it or not possible to get wireless carplay.

What I ended up doing was getting a carlinkit 4.0 wireless carplay dongle and a wireless charger made especially to fit the cx5 storage area in front of the gear shift. This should for now at least solve the issue with a somewhat clean "hack" till somehow I can find a way to enable wireless carplay with the equipment built in.

As for post #3, it may be as simple as Apple having an additional per vehicle license fee for wireless CarPlay that Mazda does not want to pay for in certain trims or locales.
Yeah maybe that's the case. I believe mazda has mazda connect that allows one to buy apps/subscriptions. What would be way more useful if Mazda allows an individual to maybe pay for that license fee as an add on to enable such a useful feature. Would definitely pay a few hundred for it.

Last edited:
The German forum reports that wireless AA (Android) is now working since a couple of days, albeit after downloading the latest AA software.

Back