CX-5 Sold...It's been fun

halfast3

:
'15 CX-5 AWD, Touring; '11 Golf TDi, bitte halten Sie den Atem
Had a garage sale. VW is buying back the TDI next month and we put the CX-5 on Craig's List and sold it today. Heading home, it felt funny to see it along side us on the freeway.

Replacement vehicle: 2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country.

This has been a great forum. Thanks to all who helped make it so.

halfast3

Had a garage sale. VW is buying back the TDI next month and we put the CX-5 on Craig's List and sold it today. Heading home, it felt funny to see it along side us on the freeway.

Replacement vehicle: 2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country.

This has been a great forum. Thanks to all who helped make it so.

halfast3
Congrats for having a new ride! I assume you bought your 2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country new with great discount at year end! Unfortunately you're not the one to increase the retention rate for Mazda! :)

If you would, please tell us the reasons you chose V60 instead of a CX-9 or waiting for the 2nd-gen CX-5?

Congrats... stop back in sometime ... probably find yourself over on Swedespeed a lot now. I was on there for a time before I bought my G35x years ago as I was cross shopping a Volvo S40 AWD at the time.

ROFL! This is so opposite the crossfit-style hazing I got when I left the Jeep ownership circle. Enjoy your new ride. Volvo's are pretty low maintenance I hear and are very nice. Definite step up on the luxury ladder.

Congrats for having a new ride! I assume you bought your 2016 Volvo V60 Cross Country new with great discount at year end! Unfortunately you're not the one to increase the retention rate for Mazda! :)

If you would, please tell us the reasons you chose V60 instead of a CX-9 or waiting for the 2nd-gen CX-5?
Our priorities:
- more comfortable seats. After about 4 hours in the CX-5 seats, one starts to loose touch with the nether regions
- long, low roof line for kayak transport
- fun chassis
- more power at high elevations (Mazda's 2.5 NA engine really suffers above 7k feet
- good ground clearance for getting to the alpine lakes
- 3500# towing capability
- safety
I love how the '17 Mazdas with G-Force Vectoring drive. Were the Mazda 6 wagon available here, we would have been all over one. We ended up narrowing it down to BMW 328xi wagon, Audi All Road and the V60. The Volvo may not be the best of the three but you can't buy the Audi or BMW without a panoramic sunroof and we weren't going to go there.

Last edited:
Good luck with the new vehicle!

We sold our TDI back last month and used the cash from the sale to buy our new CX-5.

Thanks for the post!

Good luck with the Volvo, that is a nice upgrade! ...and like with ANY brand, hope you have great dealer nearby.
:D

How quickly and how close to book did the CX-5 sell?(uhm)

Congrats! The V60 is awesome.
I hope it proves reliable for you, which was my biggest concern with Volvo (in addition to being more expensive / premium brand).

Congrats!
Thanks!

Did you consider the XC-60 or XC-90?

We looked at both and they're very nice, as is the CX-9 but they don't pass the long low roofline test, a must for two untall seniors with kayaks. The V90 Cross Country is wonderful but the price of entry with a few 'must have' options takes your breath away.
Thanks for the post! Good luck with the Volvo, that is a nice upgrade! ...and like with ANY brand, hope you have great dealer nearby. :D
There were a couple of issues with the car having to do with it being 1-1/2 years old when we bought it but the dealer is eager to gain our satisfaction... a good sign. The major outstanding problem is the car had some rock strike divots -- not chips -- in the windshield which they twice tried to repair... unsuccessfully. This week they agreed to replace the very expensive heated windshield.
How quickly and how close to book did the CX-5 sell?(uhm)
We had three responses from our CL ad right away, two of them were serious buyers and the first paid our full asking price of $22,150, about $600 above KBB and $500 above NADA high book. With professionally installed tint, clear bra and Katzkin seat heaters, we thought it was a fair ask.

Congrats! The V60 is awesome. I hope it proves reliable for you, which was my biggest concern with Volvo (in addition to being more expensive / premium brand).

Thanks! I was in the automotive repair industry for 30+ years and we were shop owners for over 20 so we're fairly well tuned into signs & symptoms of pending problems. That and the fact that we have 5 years of free maintenance and bumper-to-bumper coverage gives us some confidence. We also know trusted local Volvo gurus should we feel the need to step away from the dealer's service dept.

Last edited:
I hope you won't be like a friend of mine, who bought a first Volvo a few years ago then keeps getting more Volvo's! He bought a S40 at first thinking he wanted to try a Euro car in his lifetime instead of only Toyota's and Volvo S40 is not too expensive to have among Euro vehicles. He liked it so much he bought another Volvo, a S80 this time, and gave his S40 to his son. His year-old S80 got hit by the same hail storm our CX-5 got in March this year (no broken windshield). When he brought his S80 to Volvo dealer for repair, he got persuaded by the salesman and traded in as is in exchange for a brand new Volvo XC60!

Mazda Motor Corp. CEO Masamichi Kogai has said recently he wants to improve brand's very low customer-retention rate from currently 37% to 60% in the US. Mazda needs to learn that from Volvo!

Last edited:
Wow. $22,150 for a 2015 Touring AWD is much more than I had imagined you would get. Congrats

Pacific Northwest car market seems to have higher overall prices and car values. Back in late '06 when I bought my '07 G35X dealers wouldn't come off MSRP for the new model so I ended up having to ship one up from Bay area from dealer who would sell me a build-to-order model at invoice. Even with $700 shipping it was thousands off local cost. I also got to take advantage of my local sales tax rate versus the dealer which at the time was the highest in the state.

I hope you won't be like a friend of mine, who bought a first Volvo a few years ago then keeps getting more Volvo's! He bought a S40 at first thinking he wanted to try a Euro car in his lifetime instead of only Toyota's and Volvo S40 is not too expensive to have among Euro vehicles. He liked it so much he bought another Volvo, a S80 this time, and gave his S40 to his son. His year-old S80 got hit by the same hail storm our CX-5 got in March this year (no broken windshield). When he brought his S80 to Volvo drealer for repair, he got persuaded by the salesman and traded in as is in exchange for a brand new Volvo XC60!
We're not first time Volvo owners either though it's been 30+ years since we've owned one. Were we to decide we wanted another car, I'd look for a CPO S60 Inscription FWD...

Mazda Motor Corp. CEO Masamichi Kogai has said recently he wants to improve brand's very low customer-retention rate from currently 37% to 60% in the US. Mazda needs to learn that from Volvo!
We really wanted to buy a '17 Mazda 6 to replace the TDI. I love the way they drive but we judged the seat comfort to be lacking, particularly compared to Volvo. Plus, owning the 6 would have necessitated keeping the CX-5 or a similar vehicle with some towing capacity. The Volvo replaces the CX-5 & the TDI. We do miss the TDI's fuel efficiency.

jlx21 said:
Wow. $22,150 for a 2015 Touring AWD is much more than I had imagined you would get. Congrats
Thanks. In all fairness, our CX-5 was very well equipped, with nearly every factory or port installed accessory available at the time. Total MSRP was $31,615 though we didn't pay that. Crunching the numbers, our depreciation was <$240 / month. I'm good with that.

Last edited:
Back