CX-5 Oil Life Monitor (Canada)

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and at this point, do not own a Mazda. My wife is considering a 2021 CX-5. My research has led me to believe that for some reason, on CX-5s sold in Canada, the only setting available is what Mazda calls the 'preset' maintenance period, with the 'flexible' maintenance period unavailable. Can anyone confirm that? Also, is the 'preset' period not really a fancy name for what amounts to an alarm clock, in that it simply causes the notification light to go on after a certain period of time or number of miles?

The reason I ask is because I note from Mazda Canada's warranty documents that to avoid voiding the warranty, oil changes must be done every 8,000 kms or six months, whichever occurs first. For someone driving a low number of miles every year, this seems to suggest that there would be a number of needless oil changes (say someone only drove 2,000 kms in six months, but drove long distances on few days, instead of short distances every day). It seems to me that the 'flexible' schedule, with the car's computer calculating when an oil change is due based on actual miles driven under monitored conditions, is more sensible from economic and environmental points of view. Comments?

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and at this point, do not own a Mazda. My wife is considering a 2021 CX-5. My research has led me to believe that for some reason, on CX-5s sold in Canada, the only setting available is what Mazda calls the 'preset' maintenance period, with the 'flexible' maintenance period unavailable. Can anyone confirm that? Also, is the 'preset' period not really a fancy name for what amounts to an alarm clock, in that it simply causes the notification light to go on after a certain period of time or number of miles?

The reason I ask is because I note from Mazda Canada's warranty documents that to avoid voiding the warranty, oil changes must be done every 8,000 kms or six months, whichever occurs first. For someone driving a low number of miles every year, this seems to suggest that there would be a number of needless oil changes (say someone only drove 2,000 kms in six months, but drove long distances on few days, instead of short distances every day). It seems to me that the 'flexible' schedule, with the car's computer calculating when an oil change is due based on actual miles driven under monitored conditions, is more sensible from economic and environmental points of view. Comments?
I believe what you have found is true for Mazda Canada. Flexible OCI which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months is only available in the US and many other countries since 2016 MY CX-5 when the oil life monitor first available to US market. Mazda Canada has always recommended a fixed OCI with 5K miles or 6 months whichever comes first. Not much you can do unfortunately if you want to keep your unlimited-mile / 36-month new car warranty and unlimited-mile / 60-month powertrain warranty intact.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation. It seems kind of arbitrary to me, but it is what it is. Good thing to know about if I get to the negotiating table with my friendly Mazda dealer. I'll hit 'em hard to throw in some free oil changes!

Thanks for the confirmation. It seems kind of arbitrary to me, but it is what it is. Good thing to know about if I get to the negotiating table with my friendly Mazda dealer. I'll hit 'em hard to throw in some free oil changes!
5K-mile / 8K-km or 6-month fixed OCI for Canadians is for 2021 CX-5. It’s worse for 2016 CX-5 which is my MY, 5K-mile / 8K-km or 4-month fixed OCI!

I hardly drive my 6, and probably only do 1,000 kms (about 600 miles) every six months now.
My dealer still insisted I do a six month oil change. Silly stuff in my opinion.
No way does my oil go bad after 6 months and 600 miles.
I'm changing it once a year, in the spring.
As for the messages, I just change the time interval in the infotainment system, and the message disappears for another few months.

Thanks Buzzman 12, I agree with you 100% with the caveat that as long as you're still under warranty, you're pretty much forced to follow the ridiculous schedule or risk voiding your coverage. I'm still baffled as to why Canadian vehicles wouldn't have the 'flexible schedule' option. Doesn't Mazda Canada know that excessive oil changes are environmentally unfriendly? What would our prime minister say?

I think this maintenance interval is how they are able to offer 36 month/unlimited miles basic and 60 month/unlimited mile powertrain warranties.

I'm guessing that they lump Canadian vehicles into "extreme" conditions based on climate.

murky, they might but if you think about it, it doesn't make any sense. Someone living in Toronto enjoys a much milder climate than say, someone in Grand Forks, North Dakota. I'm familiar with GM vehicles, that all have an oil life monitor. I had a '99 Chevy Lumina with one! So why, 22 years later, is Mazda still using a dated, 'alarm clock' system in Canada but not in USA or Mexico? I hope they know we Canucks don't live in igloos and even have plumbing these days!

I'm guessing that they lump Canadian vehicles into "extreme" conditions based on climate.
In US with Schedule 2 for severe driving conditions you still can use Flexible OCI apparently the computer will adjust for it.

I think this maintenance interval is how they are able to offer 36 month/unlimited miles basic and 60 month/unlimited mile powertrain warranties.
Yes, just noticed Mazda Canada now offers unlimited-mile / 36-month new car warranty in addition to previous unlimited-mile / 60-month powertrain warranty!

I like my 2019 CX-5 Turbo, but if there's one major annoyance it is the required twice yearly service in Canada. I previously owned two Acura's that came equipped with a Maintenance Minder system. With my typical year round driving the service indicator would only come on once per year. Is the Mazda engine so inferior to a Honda one that it requires 6 months servicing instead of 12 months?

Mazda really needs to follow the trend of many other manufactures with longer oil/service intervals. I'm pretty sure that the extra servicing cost and annoyance of having to make extra trips to the service department is costing them sales.

I have a Canadian CX-5 (2018) as well. When I bought it this past march with only 19000 kms. on it (11.8 K Miles) from a Mazda dealership, it wasn't long afterward that the service wrench came on and indicated an oil change was due. Spoke to the dealer and they chalked it up to not reseting the PCM after the oil change was done. So I did it. I then moved from Ontario to Alberta and by the time I got here, it was time (close to 8000 kms. since previous oil change by dealer) to change the oil, so I did. I did the reset procedure as documented in the owners manual (with car off, push ignition button on while pushing in trip button/stick and waiting for the flashing alert symbol on dash to flash several times), then going to apps and initiating the oil reset function there. That was end of this June (2021). Fast forward this past week and the wrench came on followed by Change Oil message on right side gauge cluster. I've only put about 5000 kms. on the car since the last oil change...and time wise, it shouldn't come due till end of December? Since the Canadian CX-5's supposedly don't support the fancy oil monitoring, I'm not sure what's going on?

I have a Canadian CX-5 (2018) as well. When I bought it this past march with only 19000 kms. on it (11.8 K Miles) from a Mazda dealership, it wasn't long afterward that the service wrench came on and indicated an oil change was due. Spoke to the dealer and they chalked it up to not reseting the PCM after the oil change was done. So I did it. I then moved from Ontario to Alberta and by the time I got here, it was time (close to 8000 kms. since previous oil change by dealer) to change the oil, so I did. I did the reset procedure as documented in the owners manual (with car off, push ignition button on while pushing in trip button/stick and waiting for the flashing alert symbol on dash to flash several times), then going to apps and initiating the oil reset function there. That was end of this June (2021). Fast forward this past week and the wrench came on followed by Change Oil message on right side gauge cluster. I've only put about 5000 kms. on the car since the last oil change...and time wise, it shouldn't come due till end of December? Since the Canadian CX-5's supposedly don't support the fancy oil monitoring, I'm not sure what's going on?

The Canadian CX-5s don't use the flexible OLM by default, but it can be enabled (possibly by the previous owner). You could try going into the Infotainment's Maintenance Monitor to make sure the maintenance intervals are set to fixed, instead of flexible.

EDIT: This is incorrect, see below. Sorry!

Last edited:
The Canadian CX-5s don't use the flexible OLM by default, but it can be enabled (possibly by the previous owner). You could try going into the Infotainment's Maintenance Monitor to make sure the maintenance intervals are set to fixed, instead of flexible.
@sm1ke Thanks for the reply. According to the attached (Found on another thread in the Mazda forum), as well as my Owners Manual, Canadian CX-5's don't appear to support the flexible OLM. Appears that I can either enable the interval for change (months/kms), or uncheck the box and just monitor myself (via the Apps infotainment function). No fancy analysis option by the ECU appears to be present/present. This of course makes no sense to me, since neither the time or the mileage has elapsed since my last oil change, which would argue in favor of your point...that our Canadian cars DO have some type of computer based monitoring of the health of the engine oil. OR....I somehow messed up when I reset the Oil tracking system when I did the last change. I'll be doing the oil/filter change in December and will make sure I follow the procedure to the letter......and then wait to see if the issue arises again.

Attachments

• Engine Oil Data Reset is necessary on vehicles equipped with new engine oil replacement strategy.pdf
    555.9 KB · Views: 131
Oops, my mistake. You're right, there is no Flexible option on the Canadian CX-5s (or CX-9s, evidently).

On my CX-9, in the Maintenance Application, I have everything turned off except for the Oil Change interval, which I set to 7500 km. For my last few oil changes, I have only had to reset this interval, in this menu. I haven't had to deal with the oil change warning light on the instrument cluster.

Your 2018 CX-5 may need Connectivity Master Unit (CMU) software update based on this TSB:

TSB 09-037/18 - OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

DESCRIPTION
Bulletin No.: 09-037/18 Last Issued: 10/25/2018

Some vehicles equipped with MAZDA CONNECT may exhibit the following oil maintenance monitor concerns on the center display:

• The wrench light (Oil Change Due message) cannot be cleared using MAZDA CONNECT/Applications/Vehicle Status Monitor/Maintenance reset menu.

• The wrench light (Oil Change Due message) is displayed before the oil change is due.

This is caused by only one reset procedure being performed when the oil is changed, usually using the center display. Two reset procedures are required, one is using the trip meter switch to reset the powertrain control module (PCM) and the other is using the center display to reset the connectivity master unit (CMU).

To correct this issue, the CMU software has been modified so that the oil maintenance monitor reset operation on the center display resets both the CMU and the PCM at the same time. With this change, the reset operation using the trip meter switch is now unnecessary.

And yes, Flexible OCI isn’t available in Canada.

Your 2018 CX-5 may need Connectivity Master Unit (CMU) software update based on this TSB:

TSB 09-037/18 - OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

DESCRIPTION
Bulletin No.: 09-037/18 Last Issued: 10/25/2018

Some vehicles equipped with MAZDA CONNECT may exhibit the following oil maintenance monitor concerns on the center display:

• The wrench light (Oil Change Due message) cannot be cleared using MAZDA CONNECT/Applications/Vehicle Status Monitor/Maintenance reset menu.

• The wrench light (Oil Change Due message) is displayed before the oil change is due.

This is caused by only one reset procedure being performed when the oil is changed, usually using the center display. Two reset procedures are required, one is using the trip meter switch to reset the powertrain control module (PCM) and the other is using the center display to reset the connectivity master unit (CMU).

To correct this issue, the CMU software has been modified so that the oil maintenance monitor reset operation on the center display resets both the CMU and the PCM at the same time. With this change, the reset operation using the trip meter switch is now unnecessary.

And yes, Flexible OCI isn’t available in Canada.
Hi, where can you view a list of all TSB's for the cx 5 in Canada?
Thank you

I am in same boat. You can opt for non synthetic oil to save money and do 5 oil changes a year. I always prefer full synthetic. It is the dust that destroys the oil in 6 months causing oil breakdown. Don't forget air engine filter change. You can do that yourself as well as cabin air filter

8000 km? Lucky you. Here in Colombia it is every five to keep the warranty in effect. A bug bear for me is that the dash warning about maintenance come on almost two thousand kilometers before due. I tried to reset that myself according to instructions given on this forum but didn't work. Mazda maintenance guy so said ok he'd fix but no change.

Back