I just read a bunch of articles on battery desulfation and the devices appear to be the real deal and work. Interesting, never knew they existed.
The Battery Minder is the best of the lot. Uses multiple high frequencies to break up the sulfur crystals and lower internal resistance. My batteries stay at around 3 mOhms. I just checked my new CX-5 battery (car 2 weeks off the lot) and it is at 5.5 mOhms! I am desulfating it right now, Will take at least 2 weeks to get it back to optimal shape, but then it is good to go just from driving the car normally. The desulfator starts doing its thing at just above 13V and stops when battery voltage drops to 13V. Pulls no drain at all when they stop. Simple to hook up to. Red to positive post, Black to neg post - Done!
The only battery that I have owned in the last 20 years that didn't make 9 years was an Optima in my 2005 Ranger that sacrificed itself when my alternator died on a road trip 150 miles from destination on Christmas Eve. The battery just barely got me to the destination where I had called ahead and had an Auto parts store waiting with the replacement. The truck dash looked like christmas tree lights to within 20 miles of the destination and then even the lights went off. The truck stumbled to the parts store, Pressing the brakes for more than a second would kill the engine enough to make me let off the brake pedal. I recharged the battery (it was 7+ years old) but it never came fully back... lasted another year, so it made it to 8+ years.
I have these desulfators on all 4 cars that I own. And the batteries typically go 9-10 years. They are worth every penny!