CX-5 Alternate jack point ok?

I can’t use my floor jack on the stock center front point (the dimpled metal plate) because there’s not enough space to pump the lever through the complete range of motion. I’m thinking of using this suspension points, see pictures. One side at a time: lift, jack stand at the pinch weld, repeat on opposite side. Any issues with this plan? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 74
Don't have an answer to your question but I personally wouldn't do it. Perhaps you can get a piece of 2x4 lumber as a "ramp" to give you that extra space to jack up from the stock location. Or maybe even a few pieces of paver stones?

I tried a couple of lumber pieces I use with my other car but that didn’t give me enough clearance. Maybe I’ll double up on those.

Your jack doesn't have to operate through the entire range of motion to work. If the handle pumps up the jack at all, just keep pumping till you get it jacked up. Once you get it up above a certain point, you'll be able to pump it in its full range.

If you're changing the oil, or something similar, ramps would be the best way to go, in my opinion and that's what I do.

I made a set of ramps using leftover deck lumber.

full

Your jack doesn't have to operate through the entire range of motion to work. If the handle pumps up the jack at all, just keep pumping till you get it jacked up. Once you get it up above a certain point, you'll be able to pump it in its full range.

This is exactly what I do. My car is lowered and the jack barely fits underneath the car, and I have to pump the jack through the smaller range of motion a good amount at first. Also have to remember to lay the handle flat before releasing the pressure to lower the car.

I'd like to get a "long reach" jack, but it's just a want, not a need. I'd probably get a long reach jack before doing what @egbx suggested. just because it would be easier and faster than jacking up one side at a time.

This is exactly what I do. My car is lowered and the jack barely fits underneath the car, and I have to pump the jack through the smaller range of motion a good amount at first. Also have to remember to lay the handle flat before releasing the pressure to lower the car.
Yeah I did that and made the mistake of turning it all the way and it puked out its oil onto the garage floor. Now I have a bottle of jack oil to store in the garage that I'll only use 1/30th of. :cautious:

It's a Daytona aluminum jack with the long handle.

If you're changing the oil, or something similar, ramps would be the best way to go, in my opinion and that's what I do.

I made a set of ramps using leftover deck lumber.

full
Nice. That's what I'm thinking. I still need to use jack stands (brake job) but making these ramps is easy and should allow normal operation of the floor jack.

Back