CX-5 2022, click and jerk when car is slowing down from 2nd to 1st gear

Has anyone experienced a similar issue described here?

Ime, the jerk was resolved by TCU updated and PCU updated.

The dealership charged me for the updated even though it was under warranty. Mazda corporate refused to reimburse the updates claiming that updates arent covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. So expect to pay for the updates.

However the transmission jerk appears to have resolved after the update, at least temporarily.

Refusal to update the control units under warranty for such small item seems to me as if any bigger problems won't get covered under the Powertrain warranty. It seems as if mazda is moving towards making the customer responsible for everything. Based on recent posts on the site where mazda is denying engine problems that are only several miles over warranty, disclaiming problems exist during warranty period and now denial of what usually is a warranty item seems to me they are moving into advesarial position versus the customer.

If any bigger issues are denied,
Lawsuit under magnson-moss act will be the only resolution.

Last edited:
Cannot speak to the clicking noise as I don't have that but as far as feeling a "lurch" or sort of "hard" shift down from 2nd to 1st...I have that. Other have posted this as well if you search hard enough. Seems like an issue thats been going on for a while as mine is 22' built in July. I can't speak for others but for me its ONLY felt when the car/tranny is cold. Meaning, I feel it, slowly rolling to a stop at that last possible moment, it lurches or jerks from 2nd to 1st. The harder you break to a stop, the less you feel it. Also once the car reaches the center of the temp gague, you can't feel it anymore.

This is a lease and even though I like other aspects of the car, I'll probably turn it in in 3 years, unless the car market is still s***.

the 'lurching' thing seems to be an issue on low mileage vehicles that get babied on their acceleration. try flooring it (passed the kick plate) a few times when getting on the freeway to snap the PCM programming out of whatever funk it's in.

I've seen this even happen on new vehicles with under 20 miles on them when they are mostly driven slowly on the lot

Ime, the jerk was resolved by TCU updated and PCU updated.
The OP references a 2022 model. I believe the TSB you reference (attached below) is the one intended to resolve a jerk-jerk in low gears applying to 2020 and and some prior, not 2022.

My experience with that TSB is a little bizarre. I had that TSB applied at 8,000 miles though the issue I was trying to resolve was lugging, not jerking. It certainly helped with lugging, the instances of that sharply reduced.

What's bizarre is that the low gear jerking I had previously noted only once is now increasingly frequent, a single jerk when both slowing and accelerating, downshifting and upshifting between first and second., when conditions require lollygagging. My TSB application was free, why I could not say other than a good will gesture.

This is the umpteenth time + 1 I've pontificated on the subject. That's because this less than smooth low gear shifting is the 1 and 1A issue I have with this vehicle. Otherwise, a great vehicle for this price point.
the 'lurching' thing seems to be an issue on low mileage vehicles that get babied on their acceleration. try flooring it (passed the kick plate) a few times when getting on the freeway to snap the PCM programming out of whatever funk it's in.

I've seen this even happen on new vehicles with under 20 miles on them when they are mostly driven slowly on the lot
I'll give that a try though I'm not encouraged. Mine is not a commuter car. And for three miles in any direction leaving my house I go from stop to 55 MPH, often briskly to 4,000 RPM to get into the traffic flow. It's when I get 3 or 8 miles to the shopping districts with a series of traffic lights, stop signs and lollygagging drivers I notice the jerking most. Regardless, there's no question it's happiest with some zoom-zoom driving when conditions permit.

The last two times out I tried TCF OFF. Early returns say I'm seeing improvement but more testing will be in order. Why this would make a difference would be a headscratcher, maybe slightly less engine load. Some have observed that TCF OFF yields performance akin to a sport-lite. Maybe smoother shifting is what they are sensing. More testing to come.

Attachments

• MC-10185048-0001.pdf
    360.9 KB · Views: 143
For the early models (2018-2019) apart from the tsb which updates the pcm there is also update to the tcm.
but thats a tough cookie to get the dealer to do.
had to do mine on my own and that fixed pretty much all of it.
On the 2022 I havent noticed any issues yet.

Latest posts

Back