CX-5 2016.5 electronic parking brake issue

@yrwei52 / @Anchorman: I have read quite a few of your posts regarding 2016.5 cx-5 parking brake issues. I'm hoping you can give me your thoughts
My first issue was I was unable to get the parking parking to release. I had to turn the car off then after a few tries it released.
My calipers are number 639 which are known to be defective
This am I put the parking brake in service mode everything went as expected. Which leads me to believe the control module and switch are working correctly.
I inspected the pads for uneven wear everything was fine
I then tried to exit service mode and nothing the motor would not engage
I disconnected the neg terminal of the battery thinking it would reset the control module and still nothing
I want to simply replace the calipers
Do you think I could also have a control module or switch issue?
Thanks You

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the late reply as I'm no longer a frequent visitor to this forum from some advice.

Firstly, the date code on your rear brake caliper is "639" (2016/3/9) which was manufactured earlier than the caliper revision date "697" (2016/9/7). I personally would get a pair of revised rear calipers just because brake is a very important safety component. I was lucky that my Mazda dealer replaced both under new car warranty when I raised the issue as I don't want those original rear calipers in my CX-5 which may potentially fail on me anytime.

Secondly, if you still have original Panasonic battery from factory, go get a new one may be from Costco for a Group 35 Interstate battery. It's about time for a new battery replacing a 6-year-old battery. And my EPB was failing to engage and release when my factory battery was getting weak even though I could still start the engine without problems.

Thirdly, can you tell if BOTH sides of EPB (motor) failing to engage and/or release, or just one side? If both sides of the EPB can engage but can't release, my guess is the weak battery or something else. If they both can't even engage, it could be weak battery or motors (but both sides of EPB motor failed at the same time seems odd).

IMO in no way you need a new and expensive EPB control module. An EPB switch? Highly unlikely.

Not sure if you have read this which may be helpful to you:

EPB Caliper Question

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply as I'm no longer a frequent visitor to this forum from some advice.

Firstly, the date code on your rear brake caliper is "639" (2016/3/9) which was manufactured earlier than the caliper revision date "697" (2016/9/7). I personally would get a pair of revised rear calipers just because brake is a very important safety component. I was lucky that my Mazda dealer replaced both under new car warranty when I raised the issue as I don't want those original rear calipers in my CX-5 which may potentially fail on me anytime.

Secondly, if you still have original Panasonic battery from factory, go get a new one may be from Costco for a Group 35 Interstate battery. It's about time for a new battery replacing a 6-year-old battery. And my EPB was failing to engage and release when my factory battery was getting weak even though I could still start the engine without problems.

Thirdly, can you tell if BOTH sides of EPB (motor) failing to engage and/or release, or just one side? If both sides of the EPB can engage but can't release, my guess is the weak battery or something else. If they both can't even engage, it could be weak battery or motors (but both sides of EPB motor failed at the same time seems odd).

IMO in no way you need a new and expensive EPB control module. An EPB switch? Highly unlikely.

Not sure if you have read this which may be helpful to you:

EPB Caliper Question
Sorry, brother. I never caught what went down (until now). If it makes you feel any better I bought a batch of WIX 57002 filters for the CX-5s I service :D No more one-size-fits all types for awhile.

Thank you for dropping by and helping out!

Upvote 0
Back