CX-5 2.5L Turbo vs. CX-5 2.5L NA

According to Wikipedia, the Gen 2 CX-5 is offered with two 2.5L engines:
- 2.5 L Skyactiv-G PY-VPS I4
- 2.5 L Skyactiv-G PY-VPS I4-T

Assuming this information is correct, are the 2.5L turbo and NA engines the exact same, the same engine with different internals, or a different engine altogether? Is PY-VPS the engine code? Any help would be appreciated.

PS I searched the forum and didn't find the above info so my apologies if its been asked before.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
The main difference is that the non turbo has cylinder deactivation, and the turbo does not.

CarpeDiem

Under Pressure
:
Superstitions
:
2021 CE Turbo
The two engines share many parts but are not identical. The exhaust systems are of course completely different. The turbo also differs in having, among other things:

- different pistons and compression ratio
- forged connecting rods
- EGR cooling system

CarpeDiem

Under Pressure
:
Superstitions
:
2021 CE Turbo
No idea. You’d also need a new PCM, connecting rods, pistons, intercooler and piping, EGR system, etc. You can’t just bolt on external parts, the NA engine has far too high a compression ratio and you’d grenade the motor quickly. If you’re thinking about transforming your 2.5 NA to a turbo you’ll be far better off selling it and buying a turbo model. But if you’re serious about modding your own CX then be prepared for a lot of cost and headaches, with little to no helpful support from Mazda or anyone else.