Cut racing beat springs, who's done it

:
02 Mazda P5
Just did a new struts on the mp3 #784 and the front have the biggest gap i have ever seen. Has anybody cut the racing beat springs, im thinking about cutting at least one coil. Anybody have any pics.

I highly recommend you not cut the springs. Those springs are wound in a certain way so they'll behave the way you want, ie provide you with a comfy ride by a fine tuned spring rate. If you cut the springs, you'll be changing its spring rate and its overall behavior so chances are you'll not only have a crappier ride but you also risk damaging your struts. Just do what everyone else does and get lowering springs. They're wound tighter and are stiffer so the car can ride closer to the ground while also preventing every small bump from transferring into the cabin.

Btw, if you do end up getting lowering springs, I also suggest you don't cut corners and get the right type of shocks too. OEM shocks are not meant for lowering springs and so the hydraulic chambers will start leaking pretty quickly. Shocks made for lowering springs like Tokico Blues/Illuminas have reinforced hydraulic chambers that are meant to withstand the added abuse.

Slip a peice of 1/2" hose over the bottom of the spring and ditch the lower spring isolators. I did this when i had eibachs and it dropped it like 3/4" No noise or other adverse effects that I could tell and I had it like that for about a year and a half.

Back