2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

I just noticed there's a substantial fin cast into the head over at cylinders 1 and 2 (red arrows). Given its shape, I wonder if its primary purpose is something other than cooling and strengthening, but surely it provides both in the area of cylinder 2 that is symmetrical with the area that cracks at cylinder 3 (blue arrow). Interesting.

Attachments

• finAtCyl1-2.png
    finAtCyl1-2.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I just noticed there's a substantial fin cast into the head over at cylinders 1 and 2 (red arrows). Given its shape, I wonder it its primary purpose is something other than cooling and strengthening, but surely it provides both in the area of cylinder 2 that is symmetrical with the area that cracks at cylinder 3 (blue arrow). Interesting.
Yes, interesting find indeed!

The most interesting thing is how exactly they modified the newly redesigned head (of course if physically something has been changed) to potentially avoid this problem in the future?
From what I can see, the problem area on my 2022 head looks visually the same as the older one from the posted videos.

Noticed a pool of oil under my 2019 CX-5 With 26,000 miles.
Dealer inspected and reported a cylinder head leak.
Will replace the head under warranty.
No car for a week or so.

Noticed a pool of oil under my 2019 CX-5 With 26,000 miles.
Dealer inspected and reported a cylinder head leak.
Will replace the head under warranty.
No car for a week or so.
Please post which engine your vehicle is equipped with.

Following up on my 12-29 post.
2019 CX-5TRXA with 22,000 miles. Non-Turbo
Per Mazda dealer service report
”Oil leaking from the back of the cylinder head case between cylinders 2 & 3.
Ordered a new cylinder head and all parts per SA-013/22”

Picked the CX5 yesterday. Covered under warranty.
Asked if the replacement head was improved to prevent future issues.
The answer was vague and not very reassuring.

My cracked head was also in the back of the engine. My 2019 cx-5 engine has 58K on it. I wonder if the repairs would still be covered if the issue happened after 60K?
Does your 2019 CX-5 have a 2.5L NA with CD, or a 2.5T? Or what is the trim level of your 2019 CX-5?

Once the 60k miles (or 60 months whichever comes first) past, you won’t get any warranty coverage for any engine problems. You’re under the mercy of Mazda North American Operations to do any partial compensation even if you’re complaining.

That’s why all CX-5 owners who have had this cracked cylinder head problem should file a complaint to NHTSA for your own protection and hopefully the NHTSA would force the MNAO to issue a “Safety Recall” with enough complaints like the “Safety Recall” issued on falling rocker arms for the 2018 2.5L NA with CD. Once a recall has issued, there’s no mileage or time limitation to fix the problem.

Regular 2.5, Touring. I finally got it back today. It took them 2 weeks to get it fixed. They did offer me a loaner.

Yes, the guy at the service desk said repairs would have not been covered if the car was over 60K miles.
Does your 2019 CX-5 have a 2.5L NA with CD, or a 2.5T? Or what is the trim level of your 2019 CX-5?

Once the 60k miles (or 60 months whichever comes first) past, you won’t get any warranty coverage for any engine problems. You’re under the mercy of Mazda North American Operations to do any partial compensation even if you’re complaining.

That’s why all CX-5 owners who have had this cracked cylinder head problem should file a complaint to NHTSA for your own protection and hopefully the NHTSA would force the MNAO to issue a “Safety Recall” with enough complaints like the “Safety Recall” issued on falling rocker arms for the 2018 2.5L NA with CD. Once a recall has issued, there’s no mileage or time limitation to fix the problem.

Regular 2.5, Touring. I finally got it back today. It took them 2 weeks to get it fixed. They did offer me a loaner.

Yes, the guy at the service desk said repairs would have not been covered if the car was over 60K miles.
Wow another NA non-turbo engine.

Wow another NA non-turbo engine.
Another NA non-turbo engine with added cylinder deactivation Mazda has featured since 2018. The cylinder head had redesigned in 2018 from the previous 2.5L NA to accommodate the cylinder deactivation system.

Did they by any chance tell you exactly where the leak was located? There's been a (visually) confirmed case of a head leaking at one of the #3 cylinder exhaust hydraulic lash adjuster ports, and I'd be interested to know if the issue with your vehicle was the same as that one.

Did they by any chance tell you exactly where the leak was located? There's been a (visually) confirmed case of a head leaking at one of the #3 cylinder exhaust hydraulic lash adjuster ports, and I'd be interested to know if the issue with your vehicle was the same as that one.
He said the leak was at the back side, the exhaust side, of the cylinder head. It’s consistent with the area the Russian YouTube video showing the weak area (too thin) of the head where his head was cracked and got “fixed”.

He said the leak was at the back side, the exhaust side, of the cylinder head. It’s consistent with the area the Russian YouTube video showing the weak area (too thin) of the head where his head was cracked and got “fixed”.
I saw what he wrote. I was asking if they told him specifically where it was or perhaps showed him a picture of it, in order to find out if the leak on his was also at the the same #3 cylinder HLA port. I believe the more information we have for these situations, the better.

It was somewhere in the back. It wasn't specific. I smell burning oil for about a week, but I could not find the source. I never had a car with engine issues. A cracked head was the last thing I would consider. then one day there were lots of oil on the garage floor. no light came on. I thought the plug or the oil filter was loose.

Attachments

• screenshot_877.png
    screenshot_877.png
    213.2 KB · Views: 93
I'm not familiar with the back of the engine, maybe you know what he is pointing to. Yes, I feel sorry for people that weren't covered. I looked up the price just for the cylinder head. it is $ 1.1K

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the back of the engine, maybe you know what he is pointing to. ....
Thanks for taking the time to post that video! It shows what appears to be some oil staining on the cylinder 4 HLA ports, which is right next to the problem area that was previously identified on another engine. The stain pattern is somewhat odd - almost as if the oil was moving up instead of down as one would expect. So it would require an additional view, in order to understand exactly where the damage is located. Nevertheless, it's definitely helpful to learn that the leaking is in the same general area of both engines.

I just noticed there's a substantial fin cast into the head over at cylinders 1 and 2 (red arrows). Given its shape, I wonder if its primary purpose is something other than cooling and strengthening, but surely it provides both in the area of cylinder 2 that is symmetrical with the area that cracks at cylinder 3 (blue arrow). Interesting.
Or could be a structure that helps with casting the part. Usually a cosmetic defect like that would be rejected unless it is on a side that is hidden from view. Assuming it is a cosmetic defect and other tests for the part been passed.

My 2018 touring cracked in dec 2022, at least that is when it spewed oil everywhere, everything under the car and entire rear was covered in oil droplets. Took over a month to get it to stop smelling after they replaced the entire head. Leak was in the back of the head, driver side. 31000 miles on the car. Full warranty coverage. Took about 3 weeks and we had a loaner for about 2 weeks. it drove fine for about 200 miles after we noticed the smoke and light but we did top it off to keep oil level correct. Right when we got to the dealership is started to shake pretty bad. We are hoping there is no damage to the pistons or any of the sensor that got drenched.

Back