2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

But I have to ask you when did you get your 2018 CX-5? If you got it in 2017, hence you’re out of powertrain warranty as you stated, that doesn’t make sense. The 2018 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2018, you simply can’t get one in 2017!

Well, that's interesting. :unsure:

I can feel your pain for a such major engine issue without warranty. The 2mm wall at the back of the head is prone to crack since it’s too thin. A YouTube video from Russia / Ukraine has clearly showed the area cracked on his 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. IMO this’s a design problem, not a casting problem.

But I have to ask you when did you get your 2018 CX-5? If you got it in 2017, hence you’re out of powertrain warranty as you stated, that doesn’t make sense. The 2018 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2018, you simply can’t get one in 2017! Ask how I know, as I wanted a 2018 CX-5 and not until late Feb. 2018 Mazda finally started to deliver them. I didn’t get it then as I found out Mazda had added the cylinder deactivation without too much publicity.
Do you see what some of us have been saying, if you get my drift?

But I have to ask you when did you get your 2018 CX-5? If you got it in 2017, hence you’re out of powertrain warranty as you stated, that doesn’t make sense. The 2018 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2018, you simply can’t get one in 2017! Ask how I know, as I wanted a 2018 CX-5 and not until late Feb. 2018 Mazda finally started to deliver them. I didn’t get it then as I found out Mazda had added the cylinder deactivation without too much publicity.
Sorry my bad memory. I checked the newly arrived 2018 CX-5 back in early January 2018. So it’s possible some dealers in the US might receive some 2018 CX-5’s earlier than my Mazda dealer.

A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

Oh, probably. With 150,000 per year sold. The point being that ALL vehicles are a percentage game.
But also the severity of the problem. If the Consumer Reports reliability rating you like listed the gen-2 CX-5 has only 4/5 stars on the Engine - Major category, that’s not really good.

A cracked cylinder head would cost $6,000 ~ $8,000 to get repaired properly. That’s something nobody wants to face without a warranty.

But also the severity of the problem. If the Consumer Reports reliability rating you like listed the gen-2 CX-5 has only 4/5 stars on the Engine - Major category, that’s not really good.
4 out of 5 is above average. And as I told you it is 5 out of 5 for the "engine-major" category for some model years since CD introduction in 2018. That includes 5/5 for 2020 which also has an excruciatingly small number of complaints of any kind at the NHTSA web site.

As far as promoting the idea of a recall based on the theory that the leaking oil will ignite at an unrepresentatively high rate (rolling eyes), be careful what you wish for. Not that such a recall will ever occur even after hell froze over, or that anybody thinks such a recall is actually justified, no owner of any of these vehicles should wish for a recall. Given the number of CD 2.5L vehicles sold, along the turbos with a similar problem, Mazda would have to declare bankruptcy given the cost per unit of repair. The subsequent settlement fund wound not come close to paying for the repairs.

The way to go If one was so inclined is a class action suit. Get a settlement for the small percentage of buyers who actually paid out of pocket for a repair and/or an extended warranty, say 10 years / 100,000 miles for other owners for a cylinder head failure. Why isn't there one already given the number of firms that jump on these things at the drop of hat? Because there are not enough instances to make it worth their while.

As for the matter of the 2mm, neither you nor your rando Russkie are metalurgists or engine designers. Sure, you can have your opinion, everybody has one, but encouraging people to dump such cars (while encouraging purchase of 2016s like yours with a horrible reliability record given your affinity for anecdotes0, is irresponsible.

4 out of 5 is above average. And as I told you it is 5 out of 5 for the "engine-major" category for some model years since CD introduction in 2018. That includes 5/5 for 2020 which also has an excruciatingly small number of complaints of any kind at the NHTSA web site.
Here’s your another post:
It's a broken record that may bear repeating: Consumer reports shows 4 out of 5 for "Engine - Major" for years 2017 - 2019, with 2017 being pre-CD. 2020 - 2022 rate 5 out of 5.
The trend is as the time goes by, the more major engine problems show up such as the cracked cylinder head. If you prefer a vehicle with 4 out of 5 rating in certain MYs for "Engine - Major" reported by Consumer Reports, that’s your choice. But you shouldn’t claim “the Gen 2 engines have outstanding reliability records” with such rating by CR. I’d choose a used car with 5 out of 5 for "Engine - Major" in past 5 ~ 8 years any day, and there’re plenty of them available.

As far as promoting the idea of a recall based on the theory that the leaking oil will ignite at an unrepresentatively high rate (rolling eyes), be careful what you wish for. Not that such a recall will ever occur even after hell froze over, or that anybody thinks such a recall is actually justified, no owner of any of these vehicles should wish for a recall. Given the number of CD 2.5L vehicles sold, along the turbos with a similar problem, Mazda would have to declare bankruptcy given the cost per unit of repair. The subsequent settlement fund wound not come close to paying for the repairs.
And nothing major happened and no death reported, Mazda was forced by the NHTSA for a falling rocker arm safety recall.

The way to go If one was so inclined is a class action suit. Get a settlement for the small percentage of buyers who actually paid out of pocket for a repair and/or an extended warranty, say 10 years / 100,000 miles for other owners for a cylinder head failure. Why isn't there one already given the number of firms that jump on these things at the drop of hat? Because there are not enough instances to make it worth their while.
I’d agree that the cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD seems to be happened less than the 2.5T, but you’ve been ignoring the severity of such problem which is costly.

As for the matter of the 2mm, neither you nor your rando Russkie are metalurgists or engine designers. Sure, you can have your opinion, everybody has one, but encouraging people to dump such cars (while encouraging purchase of 2016s like yours with a horrible reliability record given your affinity for anecdotes0, is irresponsible.
And you aren’t an engine designer either. We use the common sense, and a thicker aluminum wall has to be stronger than a thin wall. The Russian / Ukrainian guy compared several different heads and his Mazda head at the same area is really thin and cracked.

I believe it’s irresponsible not to warn people there’s a potential major engine problem exists however it’s rare. Let the people decide on this issue.

BTW, my 2016 CX-5 is pretty reliable since the dealer fixed 10 problems I spotted earlier under warranty. I still plan to keep it for as long as I can like my 1998 Honda CR-V. Comparing the problems that could happen on my 2016 CX-5 such as belt tensioner or oil control valve, that’s so minor and cheaper to fix than a cracked head.

Here’s your another post:

The trend is as the time goes by, the more major engine problems show up such as the cracked cylinder head. If you prefer a vehicle with 4 out of 5 rating in certain MYs for "Engine - Major" reported by Consumer Reports, that’s your choice. But you shouldn’t claim “the Gen 2 engines have outstanding reliability records” with such rating by CR. I’d choose a used car with 5 out of 5 for "Engine - Major" in past 5 ~ 8 years any day, and there’re plenty of them available.

And nothing major happened and no death reported, Mazda was forced by the NHTSA for a falling rocker arm safety recall.

I’d agree that the cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD seems to be happened less than the 2.5T, but you’ve been ignoring the severity of such problem which is costly.

And you aren’t an engine designer either. We use the common sense, and a thicker aluminum wall has to be stronger than a thin wall. The Russian / Ukrainian guy compared several different heads and his Mazda head at the same area is really thin and cracked.

I believe it’s irresponsible not to warn people there’s a potential major engine problem exists however it’s rare. Let the people decide on this issue.

BTW, my 2016 CX-5 is pretty reliable since the dealer fixed 10 problems I spotted earlier under warranty. I still plan to keep it for as long as I can like my 1998 Honda CR-V. Comparing the problems that could happen on my 2016 CX-5 such as belt tensioner or oil control valve, that’s so minor and cheaper to fix than a cracked head.

Just a couple of notes:

Consumer reports rates against other vehicles of the same vintage. 2017 at 4/5 invalidates your notion of a trend which was a very thin argument to begin with. Their survey respondents find
2017 no more reliable than 2018's when making a minor adjustment for age.

As for turbo reports of cracked cylinder heads or manifolds, I'm more skeptical of those than of the CX-5 reports. As noted previously, the CX-9 polling thread showed a high number of respondents reporting the problem when I first started posting here 2+ years ago. That number has hardly changed. It sure looks like somebody(s) was stuffing the ballot box at some point.

I believe this is the first time you've used the term "rare" in this context. You should make a point providing that disclaimer each time.

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe this is the first time you've used the term "rare" in this context. You should make a point providing that disclaimer each time.
I’ve said this cracked head problem is rare many times before and the cracked head seems to be happened more often on the 2.5T . I even said at the beginning that this could be just something not to worried about it. After I watched the Russian / Ukrainian video showing the 2 mm thin wall and compared to others, I was convinced this’s a design issue, not just a casting issue.

You still refused to mention this’s a major engine problem however it’s rare. But this problem potentially could happen, and nobody want to face such problem which would cost $6,000 ~ $8,000 to fix without a warranty. I’d recommend my 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 which has no such potential worries on a major engine repair any day without hesitation.

I’ve said this cracked head problem is rare many times before and the cracked head seems to be happened more often on the 2.5T. I even said at the beginning that this could be just something not to worried about it. After I watched the Russian / Ukrainian video showing the 2 mm thin wall and compared to others, I was convinced this’s a design issue, not just a casting issue.

You still refused to mention this’s a major engine problem however it’s rare. But this problem potentially could happen, and nobody want to face such problem which would cost $6,000 ~ $8,000 to fix without a warranty. I’d recommend my 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 which has no such potential worries on a major engine repair any day without hesitation.
For example, in your several posts in this long thread the first time you described this problem as "rare" is buried at the bottom of post #268. That is a first or at least rare admission on your part.

I never, ever, said this is not a major problem--when it occurs. And I never denied there are legitimate reports of such instances. There are Mazda TSBs that address the problem. Time and time again my assessment is as stated in post #265 above--a matter of probabilities. It's refreshing to see you come around to that way of thinking with that recent usage of "rare". You're on the right track.

This "alleged" problem is very rare indeed, and almost non-existent in Europe with this same engine (2.5L NA). Idem, with CD.
May I suggest that @yrwei52 stops beating a dead horse.

This "alleged" problem is very rare indeed, and almost non-existent in Europe with this same engine (2.5L NA). Idem, with CD.
May I suggest that @yrwei52 stops beating a dead horse.
I have no problem with discussion of this issue or any other, the associated TSBs, some random Russian video, or just about anything under the sun, on or off topic. What I have a problem with is a lack of perspective, exaggeration of the likelihood of it occurring in any one vehicle, and the failure to view reports of failures with due skepticism.

Some guy reported a while back that a dealer told him they were seeing five failed engines per week. BS.

For example, in your several posts in this long thread the first time you described this problem as "rare" is buried at the bottom of post #268. That is a first or at least rare admission on your part.
Post #268? This’s the post #3 at the beginning of this thread:
Like coolant leak problem on the 2.5T, this cracked cylinder head issue on the 2.5L with cylinder deactivation shouldn’t be caused any concerns at this time.

And:

It’s unfortunate that the only two engines available in US market both suffered major issues however the occurrence is rare or not:

And:

The CD issues were long ago cleared up only on fallen rocker arm part. Now we started to see cracked cylinder head and failing switchable hydraulic lash adjuster problem on the 2.5L NA with CD however you think it’s rare. The Russian YouTube video you didn’t watch in the link, has clearly showed the 2mm thin wall at the cracked area that’s the enough evidence to me.

I never, ever, said this is not a major problem--when it occurs. And I never denied there are legitimate reports of such instances. There are Mazda TSBs that address the problem. Time and time again my assessment is as stated in post #265 above--a matter of probabilities. It's refreshing to see you come around to that way of thinking with that recent usage of "rare". You're on the right track.
Your probability claim didn’t weight this cracked cylinder head issue which is a major one. If it occurs without warranty, it’s going to be a heavy blow with $6,000 ~ $8,000 repair to the CX-5 owner. Just look at recent legit posts reporting the cracked head problem, and how upset they are.

I also believe we should encourage people who have had cracked head problem to report the issue to the NHTSA. Not the other way around and bury the head in the sand.

Back