2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

My 2019 GT had a massive oil leak last week w/ about ~32k miles and had to be towed to the dealership. I got a call on the next day and they informed me of the cracked cylinder head. I'm still waiting for an ETA on the parts. I also filled out a report with NHTSA. My dealership currently has no loaner so I'm trying to contact mazda for a rental. I'm just hoping they redesigned the repair parts to prevent this from happening again in the near future.

I had previously posted that I wasn't concerned about cylinder head issues on the CD/NA engines, because the numbers weren't there, and I always go by the numbers. But as of today, I've just become quite a bit more uneasy about what's going on with this.

My 2018 touring cracked in dec 2022, at least that is when it spewed oil everywhere, everything under the car and entire rear was covered in oil droplets. Took over a month to get it to stop smelling after they replaced the entire head. Leak was in the back of the head, driver side. 31000 miles on the car. Full warranty coverage. Took about 3 weeks and we had a loaner for about 2 weeks. it drove fine for about 200 miles after we noticed the smoke and light but we did top it off to keep oil level correct. Right when we got to the dealership is started to shake pretty bad. We are hoping there is no damage to the pistons or any of the sensor that got drenched.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that they got it fixed for you.

I wonder how Mazda will handle this when an owner's car is out of warrantee. Anyone in that position yet??

I wonder how Mazda will handle this when an owner's car is out of warrantee. Anyone in that position yet??
My daughter's 2019 GT has only 3K left and, having done DIY maintenance, I have no illusions of getting any goodwill from Mazda. And, based on a few reports here on other major issues, I wouldn't be confident of getting goodwill even if maintenance had been done by Mazda.

Although we've always kept vehicles 10+ years in the past, with the double whammy of cylinder head cracks and the HLA issues, I'm beginning to give a lot of consideration to bailing out of the CX-5 early.

My daughter's 2019 GT has only 3K left and, having done DIY maintenance, I have no illusions of getting any goodwill from Mazda. And, based on a few reports here on other major issues, I wouldn't be confident of getting goodwill even if maintenance had been done by Mazda.

Although we've always kept vehicles 10+ years in the past, with the double whammy of cylinder head cracks and the HLA issues, I'm beginning to give a lot of consideration to bailing out of the CX-5 early.

Yes the reports on the NA keep streaming in and these are big costly issues to get stuck with after warranty.

Luckily, my 2018 cpo has 2 years warranty left but will most likely trade in... maybe for another newer mazda CX model or a Ford maverick(which has been low production due to part's shortage but should be more available by then.)

Maybe see if they can get you into a new mazda on good trade.

I was chatting with my local dealer service manager a couple weeks ago. He had mentioned that in his shop, the work is minor maintenance (oil, rotate tires, filters) or major engine work. Not much in between. Big uptick in major work.

I should probably look for another 2016.5 touring with low miles before they all disappear 🤔

I was chatting with my local dealer service manager a couple weeks ago. He had mentioned that in his shop, the work is minor maintenance (oil, rotate tires, filters) or major engine work. Not much in between. Big uptick in major work. ...

It always surprises me to read negative feedback about the brand from dealership employees, particularly a manager. I'd expect the owner to have a clear and strong policy about trying to whitewash anything even remotely negative. But OTOH, it's very helpful for us to get information like that from the 'horse's mouth'. And baring some type of disgruntled employee thing, it's virtually certain to be 100% honest and true.

I should probably look for another 2016.5 touring with low miles before they all disappear 🤔
Wow, I can sure agree with that! We have a Mazda 3 and a Kia Forte still in the family, both of them 2011, port injected, with none of the newer $hit 'features' such as CD. Both bought new, and NEVER one hint of any powertrain issue on either one of them. I would LOVE to be able to buy either one of those vehicles brand new today.

⋯ Although we've always kept vehicles 10+ years in the past, with the double whammy of cylinder head cracks and the HLA issues, I'm beginning to give a lot of consideration to bailing out of the CX-5 early.
I’d say all CX-5’s before 2018 MY still are fairly reliable on major components with Mazda’s original SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L NA engines and SkyActiv-Drive AT. It’s the unexpected cylinder deactivation feature added in 2018 which started these potential major problems on this 2.5L NA with CD. I’m glad I made a right decision and cancelled my purchasing plan of a new 2018 CX-5 GT once I found out Mazda had added the cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L NA for that MY. History (of cylinder deactivation) doesn't lie ...

I’d say all CX-5’s before 2018 MY still are fairly reliable on major components with Mazda’s original SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L NA engines and SkyActiv-Drive AT. It’s the unexpected cylinder deactivation feature added in 2018 which started these potential major problems on this 2.5L NA with CD. I’m glad I made a right decision and cancelled my purchasing plan of a new 2018 CX-5 GT once I found out Mazda had added the cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L NA for that MY. History (of cylinder deactivation) doesn't lie ...
So in sticking with mazda, it seems the only smart play would be to trade in and get the newer turbo's since even though the heads were re-designed on both turbo and NA CD, the NA CD could still have the HLA and other potential CD longevity problems

... I’m glad I made a right decision and cancelled my purchasing plan of a new 2018 CX-5 GT once I found out Mazda had added the cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L NA for that MY. ....
Yep, that decision looks better every day that another engine failure report gets posted here.

Dont worry about doing maint yourself. I only went once to mazda for oil change since well, it takes less time to just do it myself then drive to mazda. Even though they offered free oil changes. Also we were not going to have people in our car during covid. They can not void warranty just cause you do your own maint. I inspected my 4 plugs today to make sure there was not further damage from the cracked head. Any thoughts on these plugs:

Attachments

• 2023-02-12 13.11.37.jpg
    2023-02-12 13.11.37.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 2023-02-12 13.12.00.jpg
    2023-02-12 13.12.00.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 60
Dont worry about doing maint yourself. .... They can not void warranty just cause you do your own maint. ...
Warranty coverage wasn't what was being discussed in those recent posts. It was about the possibility of getting post-warranty, goodwill from Mazda. And that's what's not happening - for me anyway.

.... I inspected my 4 plugs today to make sure there was not further damage from the cracked head. Any thoughts on these plugs:
You didn't provide the number of miles on the plugs, but in any case, they look perfectly ok to me.

Warranty coverage wasn't what was being discussed in those recent posts. It was about the possibility of getting post-warranty, goodwill from Mazda. And that's what's not happening - for me anyway.

You didn't provide the number of miles on the plugs, but in any case, they look perfectly ok to me.
32,000 miles. Has any else noticed an almost imperceptible shake now and then at idle. i could just be insanely perceptive. I know my wife and daughter do not feel it. I just worry that something else could be damaged buy the head crack.

Mazda did good will with the RX-8s back in the day when they added an extended warranty to the original. Maybe they will here too.... Do I need to report my repair anywhere to make sure Mazda is not just trying to bury the problem? It also seems like legally they should have to honor it no matter when you go in for the repair as it most definitely was a factory defect. It is not wear and tear or anything that any of us did.

Mazda did good will with the RX-8s back in the day when they added an extended warranty to the original. Maybe they will here too.... Do I need to report my repair anywhere to make sure Mazda is not just trying to bury the problem? It also seems like legally they should have to honor it no matter when you go in for the repair as it most definitely was a factory defect. It is not wear and tear or anything that any of us did.
Although it’s for the 2.5T, but the idea is the same:

2.5T Cracked Cylinder Head/Leaking Coolant Report to the NHTSA

He said the leak was at the back side, the exhaust side, of the cylinder head. It’s consistent with the area the Russian YouTube video showing the weak area (too thin) of the head where his head was cracked and got “fixed”.
BTW it was not fixed - the last minutes of the 3rd video is showing it, and he confirmed it with pain. There're 3 more parts of this story...
So finally, he sent that cylinder head to a local factory (he lives in Ukraine). The professional welder at the factory cut out the cracked segment of aluminum and welded the new one. Fixing it that way was cheaper for him ($370) than ordering the new head.
here are 4th, 5th, and 6th (the final) parts of this story:
Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G 2.5 Трещина в головке. Часть 5, забрал головку после сварки.

Do I need to report my repair anywhere to make sure Mazda is not just trying to bury the problem?

YES! Everyone that has their cylinder head crack needs to report it to the NHTSA. Mazda needs to cover this repair even after the warrantee expires.

It's a clear factory defect and IMO a safety issue. Correct me if I am wrong, but can't oil leaking on a hot engine cause an engine fire?

Please...everyone affected...report it here:

Mazda needs to make this right for everyone!

It's a clear factory defect and IMO a safety issue. Correct me if I am wrong, but can't oil leaking on a hot engine cause an engine fire?
Yes, the oil leaking out from the back side of the cylinder head to the exhaust manifold does have the potential to cause the engine fire, and I also remember this’s the reason for several cases of engine fire I’ve seen, although I personally believe this isn’t easy to happen. This should be the reason of “safety” concern when those CX-5 owners reporting the cracked cylinder head to the NHTSA, in addition to the danger of possibly the engine stalled on the highway with low oil level.

YES! Everyone that has their cylinder head crack needs to report it to the NHTSA. Mazda needs to cover this repair even after the warrantee expires.

Please...everyone affected...report it here:

Mazda needs to make this right for everyone!
If your vehicle catches fire from an oil leak or any other reason you should definitely report that to the NHTSA. Otherwise, it's just another vehicle with another oil leak and there are lot of them.

Back