Cracked cylinder head 2019 CX-5 with 26,000 miles

I have a 2019 Mazda CX5, 26,000 miles on it. Is like brand new. This past weekend oil started pouring out the bottom of my car. I smelled something burning while I was driving. When I pulled into my driveway, oil was all over, it ruined my driveway. It ended up being a cracked cylinder head. This is crazy. And I’m very upset about it. This should never have happened to a car this new, with little miles. Has this happened to other people?

At least it's under warranty. Is that a normally aspirated engine or the turbo?

I have a 2019 Mazda CX5, 26,000 miles on it. Is like brand new. This past weekend oil started pouring out the bottom of my car. I smelled something burning while I was driving. When I pulled into my driveway, oil was all over, it ruined my driveway. It ended up being a cracked cylinder head. This is crazy. And I’m very upset about it. This should never have happened to a car this new, with little miles. Has this happened to other people?
This is an ongoing issue with 2018 to 2021 Mazda CX5's NA engines. There is TSB (TSB #SA-031-21) issued by Mazda, and the good news is that you will be covered under your warranty. If your dealer tries to be over smart, just print the TSB and show it to them.

But, please report this problem on the NHTSA. The more number of complaints getting registered, the more likely this issue gets fixed for free even after warranty. This would help several other customers who might face this issue in the future.

My two cents:
Owners need to band together and ask Mazda to extend coverage on engine.
Maybe a class action is the way to go.
What if this happens out of warranty?
That would cause close to $10k for a replacement.
I have '17 and '22 CX-5s. Not affected, it seems.

.... It ended up being a cracked cylinder head. ...

You should ask your dealer's service department if they intend to replace the 8 switchable HLAs with the redesigned part versions, or if they intend to just swap the ones from the cracked head to the new one. I'm not going to write a long-winded explanation of what that's all about, but will just say it's something that could very well become another significant repair in the future, if they install the old HLAs instead of the redesigned ones.

If you ask the question and they say it's going to be a swap of the old HLAs, then post back for a suggestion on how to perhaps get them to change their plan for that.

I have '17 and '22 CX-5s. Not affected, it seems.
2017 CX-5 doesn’t have cylinder deactivation and no cylinder head issues. But the 2022 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA may still have potential cracking cylinder head issue as Mazda has never mentioned they have revised the cylinder head with CD in any known documents.

Last edited:
Between the CD cracked heads leaking oil(CD) the 2.5T cracked heads leaking coolant cuz they secured that turbo on exhaust studs that were not designed to hold that weight, the 11 month valve seal debacle in 2021..... well lets just say I hope they can survive this. Poor choices. Subaru bounced back from putting paper head gaskets (non MLS) in so thats good news. I love these mazdas but pretty sketchy lately

2017 CX-5 doesn’t have cylinder deactivation and no cylinder head issues. But the 2022 CX-5 with a 2.5L NA may still have potential cracking cylinder head issue as Mazda has never mentioned they have revised the cylinder head with CD in any known documents.
My '22 has a 2.5T... Not NA.

We have had members posting fake engine problems to troll the forum.

I don't know about others, but if my car in warranty spewed oil over my driveway, I'd certainly take some pictures as proof for Mazda.

Let's see if OP returns to update the thread.

this story is very familiar...no oil on the ground but the smell...a 2019 grand touring with 29,800 miles...took it to the dealer today to get the "great news"... yippee...did get a dealer loaner and the factory warranty covered the repair...would like to hear what others have to say...thanks

this story is very familiar...no oil on the ground but the smell...a 2019 grand touring with 29,800 miles...took it to the dealer today to get the "great news"... yippee...did get a dealer loaner and the factory warranty covered the repair...would like to hear what others have to say...thanks
There’re plenty of reports to this cracked cylinder head problem on the 2.5L NA with CD. See post #7 above. Please file a complaint to the NHTSA website. When there’re enough complaints to an issue the NHTSA may initiate an investigation which could force Mazda North American Operations issue a recall. A recall will protect all 2.5L NA with CD owners especially for those without the warranty.

Here’s a video showing where the location of the cracked cylinder head with the oil leaking:

And there’s a Russian YouTube video posted from Ukraine clearly showed the weak area which is so thin comparing to other heads and it’s why the area is prone to crack:

Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G 2.5 N/A with C/D (2019 year 20.000 km.) - really interesting and detailed process of removing the head and welding the crack. He is speaking Russian but everything is clear without a verbal explanation:

Regarding the topic,
The mechanic from the videos I posted before seems to be very experienced and he was literally shocked when he started welding the crack. The thickness of aluminum in that area was around 2mm. As an example, he was comparing and showing some Chinese brand cylinder head he found in his workshop, and the thickness of the aluminum edge there was about 7mm, which is approx 3,5 thicker.
Finally, he was highly disappointed with the way how Mazda designed the new cylinder head, specifically in saving the cost of aluminum in that area.
His advice was to not leave this particular engine downtime for a long period, as hydraulic cranks (the area where cracks appear)can possibly get jammed and cause significant stress when the engine is starting again after a long downtime.

Last edited:
…Let's see if OP returns to update the thread.

Seems to be the typical drive-by poster, no followup and they may not have even read any responses. I do feel the pain of owners suffering through this issue.

Seems to be the typical drive-by poster, no followup and they may not have even read any responses...
...and may not have had the problem at all. This is one type of complaint I view with skepticism,

Glad to hear! What did they say about the turn around time for the engine repair/replacement?

dealer stated "should have the parts by Friday or Monday"...maybe a week...it's ok, I'll put the miles on their vehicle...the Mazda is my girlfriend's car...it sits most of the time...put 100 miles on the loaner the first day...leaving my Mustang to sit for a week...lol...
Really like the way the Mazda drives and handles...lots a bang for the buck...hope this isn't a precursor for other ugly things to happen...my son and my daughter both drive newer model 3s...hope they don't encounter the same demise...

dealer stated "should have the parts by Friday or Monday"...maybe a week...it's ok, I'll put the miles on their vehicle...the Mazda is my girlfriend's car...it sits most of the time...put 100 miles on the loaner the first day...leaving my Mustang to sit for a week...lol...
Really like the way the Mazda drives and handles...lots a bang for the buck...hope this isn't a precursor for other ugly things to happen...my son and my daughter both drive newer model 3s...hope they don't encounter the same demise...
Keep us posted ⋯

...and may not have had the problem at all. This is one type of complaint I view with skepticism,
Please provide a picture.
We have had members posting fake engine problems to troll the forum.

I don't know about others, but if my car in warranty spewed oil over my driveway, I'd certainly take some pictures as proof for Mazda.

Let's see if OP returns to update the thread.
So I guess just because one member had made up a cracked cylinder head story, we now need some proof of pictures each time someone reports a problem here on his / her Mazda CX-5? :unsure::rolleyes:🤪

Back