Considering Mazda2... I have a few questions

njaremka

Wiggity-Wack-O-Tack
Contributor
:
2012 Mini R55
I'm looking at picking up a Mazda2, either new (if I can get a good deal) or used to save some monies.

If I get a Sport trim, will I regret not holding out for a Touring model? I want a manual transmission, and used Touring models are few and far between.

I'm trying to find suspension upgrades. Looks like there is limited options marketed for the Mazda2, and few more options for the Ford Fiesta. Are the suspensions compatible without much frustrations? Can I search for Fiesta coilovers, for example, and expect that I will be able to install them without hassle?

Thanks for the help :D

I have a Sport, and the only thing I miss is the cruise control as well, but I deal with it because I mostly use my car for my daily commute to work which is all in-town anyway. All of the other little extras that come on the Touring didn't matter to me. If I could have built a sport with CC, I would be 100% happy instead of 99.9%. I honestly don't think you'll regret not buying a Touring, and you can spend the extra you would have paid on mods. I would spend a bit more and buy one brand new. I was looking at a used one, and it was negligibly cheaper than a brand new one on the same lot, but with 9k miles and it smelled like cigars inside. Let's just say I'm glad I bought new. lol

As far as mods go, I haven't done much research into what can interchange from a Fiesta, but there's plenty of stuff that's made specifically for the 2 if you look in the right places. Check everywhere that sells aftermarket parts for newer Mazdas. I was surprised at the places I found who carry stuff for it.

Last edited:
I love my Sport, wheels don't bother me as I just put snow tires on them and will be getting another set of wheels/tires come spring time.

I wish I had cruise but I've grown used to it and it doesn't bother me unless I'm on a 2+hr trip(very rare).

No armrest was a bummer but again I'm used to it and could care less now.

The Fiesta stuff swaps over as long as you use Fiesta front struts with Fiesta style springs... There is some small diameter difference I think on the bottom end? Rear stuff is direct swap.

There aren't any super high quality truly high performance options(like running R-comp tires with 8k-10k springs), but I'm building my own to fix that problem for myself with some Koni race cartridges.

If you just want lowered and to feel better but still daily drivable I'd personally just get the CS struts and shocks, I haven't heard of anyone unhappy with them aside from those competing at the pointy end.

thanks for the comments! keep them coming!!!!!

a front lip will be in the cards, and a rear spoiler if i end up with a sport model.

cruise would be the biggest reason i go with a touring model.

as for springs/struts vs coilovers... i would prefer the ability to set ride height as i see fit, instead of letting the spring manufacturer determine whats the best height for me. i've had my experiences with replacement springs and struts, and i'd prefer to go coilover this time. if fiesta coilovers will bolt up, even better. if not, i'll see what i can get that's branded for the mazda2.

I'm looking at picking up a Mazda2, either new (if I can get a good deal) or used to save some monies.

If I get a Sport trim, will I regret not holding out for a Touring model? I want a manual transmission, and used Touring models are few and far between.

I'm trying to find suspension upgrades. Looks like there is limited options marketed for the Mazda2, and few more options for the Ford Fiesta. Are the suspensions compatible without much frustrations? Can I search for Fiesta coilovers, for example, and expect that I will be able to install them without hassle?

Thanks for the help :D

I have a Sport w/ manual. No regrets. Wish it had a larger fuel tank for long trips and better mileage when traveling 75MPH+ but, that's about it.
Great little car!

My thoughts are pretty much summed up here;
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123843715-Rdrcr-s-Mazda2-Review-and-Build-Thread

Mike

i would prefer the ability to set ride height as i see fit, instead of letting the spring manufacturer determine whats the best height for me. i've had my experiences with replacement springs and struts, and i'd prefer to go coilover this time. if fiesta coilovers will bolt up, even better. if not, i'll see what i can get that's branded for the mazda2.

There's definitely a full range of options for the 2. To name off the top of my head, D2, K-Sport, H&R, Bilstein, FortuneAuto and even HKS coilovers are all available here in the US. It all depends on what you want to pay.

Last edited:
Being in CT where you'll get a ton of snow and assuming salt, are you planning on swapping back to stock suspension every winter or using the coilovers to adjust height for snow? Coilovers get pretty farked up with the adjuster threads galling, the spherical bearings wearing out(assuming new top hats, Bilstein reuses stock), and if it has timken bearings under the spring seat they need blown out very often and replaced often or you'll experience binding.

Just something to think about FYI.

I ended up deciding myself to just swap everything after the auto-x season to keep my stuff from getting messed up.

Ebay recently had a seller who is selling a knock off version of 3d's front lip for only like 60-70 iirc

It sucks but we only have 2 options for the front lip and neither look that great. The factory option side sills look good but they cost some serious $$$$

Heh, that's why I'm planning on making my own splitter. Got the idea by horsing around in Forza4 and fell in love with it.

I test drove a Sport and decided the Touring is a must. The seats look a lot better, the wheels are better, you get 2 more speakers, cruise control, and a rear spoiler....definitely worth it to me.

Back