Considering a CX-5 roof box - height info?

:
Toronto, ON
:
2021 CX-5 GT Turbo
I have a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT Turbo, stock suspension, and live in a condo building with an underground garage. The maximum garage clearance is 2m / 6'8" (80 inches).

I am considering getting the OEM side rails and cross bars, and a Thule Motion XT L cargo box. Thule said the box is 17" tall, but it has the little indentations where the box sits on the cross bars, so it might be slightly lower on the car. I cannot get any info on how high the OEM cross bars sit on the car.

Does anyone have the same setup and could help measure the height from the top of the roof? Thanks.

Solution
Even if you just set the box directly on the roof won't that exceed the limit (66"+17"=83")? It seems like 17" is a fairly common dimension for these things. It's ok on sedans.

I guess the height helps the cubic capacity. You can stand briefcases and carryon sized suitcases with the handle up.
Even if you just set the box directly on the roof won't that exceed the limit (66"+17"=83")? It seems like 17" is a fairly common dimension for these things. It's ok on sedans.

I guess the height helps the cubic capacity. You can stand briefcases and carryon sized suitcases with the handle up.

Upvote 0
Solution
I must have Googled wrong, as I thought the CX-5 was 60" high. Now I see it's 66" high, so the roof box won't fit. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Many doors are about 80", and many crossovers about the same as Mazdas.

I dont understand why so many of these boxes are too big.

Upvote 0
I've got the Thule Motion XT L on the OEM rails and I'm ~4" under my 7'2" ceiling, so maybe 6'10"?

The Thule Motion XT Alpine should fit at around 6'6.25".

Upvote 0
I looked at these on the eTrailer web site.

There are a couple of 'low profile' boxes. Inno seems to be one that might work. Thule Pulse Alpine is another, but might be too long.

The cx5 roof is only about 6ft long so I would rule out long boxes.

Upvote 0
Thanks you all for the info!
If you find something that you think works well, let us know.

I can see the way the Thule mounts it probably takes the height down a couple of inches. It makes it a little complicated to determine the overall clearance.

Upvote 0
I've decided not to get a roof box now, as I'd risk it driving in and out of underground parking lots at home and at work. I live in a condo and have nowhere to store the box when not in use, so I'd have to leave it on the roof permanently.

I'll look into a hitch mounted solution, or a small trailer, or if need be, upgrade to a CX-9...

Upvote 0
I've decided not to get a roof box now, as I'd risk it driving in and out of underground parking lots at home and at work. I live in a condo and have nowhere to store the box when not in use, so I'd have to leave it on the roof permanently.

I'll look into a hitch mounted solution, or a small trailer, or if need be, upgrade to a CX-9...
I have a Thule box and I used it a few times. Very easy to put on and to take off. Also, I built a frame made out of 2X4's inside my garage to stored it. I only use it for long trips, and I usually put it on a day before a trip.

I have a regular 2 car garage and the CX5 will not fit with the cargo box on. Let me know if you need me to take a picture of my box frame I built in my garage and I'll be more than happy to post it.

I do like the cargo box, I usually place two full size luggage and winter jackets, shoes, etc. leaving my cargo area to use for food and a big cooler.

IMO, the cargo box is a must for long trips.

Upvote 0
Back