Confessions of a Car addict..... why are we so addicted to modifying cars?

Glad to hear all is well on your end man... Normally I wouldn't have responded to this thread at the time, but I see it as highly relevant.

Up until Christmas of this year- things were well- Job was fine, car modding was slow but steady and I had started my own evo forum. I had 3 business ideas that were starting to materialize and everything was looking up.

Well since then tragedy has occured, over and over... A medication I was taking to control my panic dissorder and severe anxiety (I've had both of these conditions since I was about 3 or 4) just stopped working and on Valentines day I tried to take my own life, and was luckily unsuccessful. I later found out some NEW medications I had been taking were overlooked and not prescribed correctly. I was taking the wrong medication and WAYYYY too much of it. I was basically not myself and the serotonin levels in my brain were off the charts. I didn't mean to do what I did, it wasn't me... As soon as I returned from the hospital I found out I lost my job. My wife and I were never able to communicate the hardship that my attempt put on our marriage and it suffered- a few months later as the thousands of dollars worth of medical bills poured in and the stress levels increased.

I was out of work for 5 weeks trying to find another one and we fell late on every payment we had. Bye-Bye credit scores... Then in March severe marriatal issues started and my wife and I weren't living togther for a while. There were a few incidents that almost ended all that we had invested in eachother over a 5 year period.

We had issues that we had never brought to light in our 2 years of marriage that NEEDED to be not only brought to the surface, but dealt with- otherwise our marriage would NOT have lasted. God threw in the towel and used his tools (although terrible to experiences) to slap us in the face and tell us to WAKE UP. We are now awake and our un-blinking eyes are looking at him as we walk side-by-side with him in our journey. Of course all of this was greatly impacted by a wonderful counselor recommended by our pastors, and of course our pastor himself, our families, and community of friends.

We're financially in the dump due to falling into the consumeristic Ameirican lifestyle and accumulated a TON of debt. With the medical bills coming in and money as tight as it had ever been we're now seeing a financial counselor and selling both of our cars to aid in paying off this debt and getting back to a more simplistic life.

I now see what is important in life... It's not the crap I buy, the car I drive, but rather the comfort of having a loving wife, a home, a good job, church community, and eventually a family. I look at the birds outside drinking from the bird bath while I drink my coffee with my wife on a Saturday morning and feel more happiness then any expensive material object could ever give me. To me this is TRUE hapiness and I beleive sometimes the only way we're able to get there is to go through hell itself first.

I still love cars and will never lose that love, but for now the evo is for sale and I could care less of what I drive- as long as it's cheap and gets good gas mileaege I don't care. I'd love to end up in a mazda again. I know this isn't forever, and once we are in the position- I'll go out and possibly buy that Evo 11 or evo 12 (or whatever's out at that time)...

Back