Cleaning Center Console Gear Window?

2019 CX-5 Signature

Any one know how to clean the gear display window? Would I need to remove/replace the entire center console assembly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• E58274D3-E512-4CE3-81A8-A2FE477EBBC4.jpeg
    E58274D3-E512-4CE3-81A8-A2FE477EBBC4.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 204
Do you want to just clean it, or do you want to remove it so you can polish it?

If you just want to clean it, I'd just use a microfiber towel and a rinseless wash spray to minimize swirling. If you want to polish, I've seen people use special drill attachments to polish smaller areas like that. I'd just tape off the surrounding areas and use an attachment like that or hand polish.

I agree with sm1ke. You could try hand polishing with Meguiar's PlastX if cleaning it with the rinsless wash doesn't clear it up.

But, I feel like we are missing some information here. Did you spill something on it? What's with those hazy spots? It almost looks like damage from a solvent.

Whoops, let me specify. I got the vehicle used so those larger well defined hazy spots have always been there. It appears that those larger well defined hazy spots (near the gear lock release) are located underneath the window.

So the better question is how does one gain access to clean the underside of the gear display window - if possible?

Cheers!

Ah I see now, if that milky/hazy spot is actually on the other side of the plastic, then someone must have spilled something in that area and it got underneath the plastic via the shift lock cover.

I'm not actually sure if you can remove that part of the shifter panel from itself. I found this, which shows the part number (KGC3-64-340-02) for the entire shifter panel assembly (more than you need), but I couldn't find a specific part number for just the portion you're interested in, and it doesn't look like it can be ordered separately.

If it bothers you that much, I'd probably remove it, then attempt to separate the plastic from the shifter panel. You may be able to get a replacement shifter panel from an auto wrecker if you happen to damage the plastic while trying to separate it.

2019 CX-5 Signature

Any one know how to clean the gear display window? Would I need to remove/replace the entire center console assembly?

Thanks!
It's a little involved with multiple panels to remove, but not too difficult since they are all just clipped. The worst bit is the shifter knob, but if you can clean that panel while still in the car, you won't need to remove that knob.

Attached are the instructions you need (in order)...

Attachments

• CONSOLE SIDE PANEL REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    249.5 KB · Views: 286
  • SWITCH PANEL REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 152
  • SHIFT PANEL REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    644.2 KB · Views: 237
  • SELECTOR LEVER COMPONENT REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    788.7 KB · Views: 138
Back