Checking transmission or power steering fluid levels and changing differential or transfer oil

My daughter recently purchased a 2016 CX-5 with 95,000 miles in excellent condition. The maintenance records and CarFax report indicated the car was properly maintained and did not report anything that might suggest any unusual or non-standard use or care.

If my daughter does not (i) tow a trailer or use a car-top carrier, (ii) drive in dusty or sandy conditions, or (iii) idle or drive at low speeds for extended periods of time, but 65% of her miles driven are on trips of less than 10 miles, does she ever need to change the differential or transfer oil?

Is there a place in the engine compartment to check the transmission or power steering fluid levels?

Thanks!

Joe

Hi Joe!

There is no power steering fluid for the CX-5. It’s electric so no worries there.

The transmission has a little plastic dipstick on it that is secured with a small bolt. The level needs to be checked with the engine running and the fluid at operating temperature.

The transmission fluid is lifetime per Mazda, but can be drained and filled with new fluid if you wish. There is a drain plug on the transmission pan.

I can’t remember if the transfer case and rear differential are lifetime as well. If I remember correctly I think the manual says to change if submerged, but I’ll let others chime in there.

Upvote 0
There's previous threads about differential and transfer case drain and fills but I'll note that my transfer case fluid has always been in much worse visual/odor condition than the differential.

I lean towards more preventative maintenance than most and I think they should both be drained and filled after the first 30,000 miles.
Then the diff every 60-90,000 and transfer case every 45,000.

I use mine on difficult/technical off-pavement roads so I change both every 30,000 but the diff fluid never seems bad while the transfer case fluid always seems degraded.

If you DIY any car stuff, you can do these.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think so, but verify in the manual. I do most of those things, so I change the Trans, diff and transfer case every 30k miles. Excess lubricant changes will not hurt anything.

Short trips should put her on the severe service schedule and she should have short interval engine oil changes because of the water and acids that build-up when the engine doesn't get warm. Using a ScanGauge, my engine is warmed up in 7 miles and the trans in 20.

Upvote 0
My daughter recently purchased a 2016 CX-5 with 95,000 miles in excellent condition. The maintenance records and CarFax report indicated the car was properly maintained and did not report anything that might suggest any unusual or non-standard use or care.

If my daughter does not (i) tow a trailer or use a car-top carrier, (ii) drive in dusty or sandy conditions, or (iii) idle or drive at low speeds for extended periods of time, but 65% of her miles driven are on trips of less than 10 miles, does she ever need to change the differential or transfer oil?

Is there a place in the engine compartment to check the transmission or power steering fluid levels?

Thanks!

Joe
I didn't see that you specified if you have a FWD or an AWD. If FWD, you don't have any separate gear oil to change - that would only apply to AWD vehicles which do have both a front transfer case and rear differential which have separate gear oil you can drain/refill.

Upvote 0
I didn't see that you specified if you have a FWD or an AWD. If FWD, you don't have any separate gear oil to change - that would only apply to AWD vehicles which do have both a front transfer case and rear differential which have separate gear oil you can drain/refill.

@randerto

Great timing! My daughter will be visiting this weekend and I will be able to ask her/check for myself.

Thanks! Back to you after the weekend.

gfr92y

Upvote 0
Back