Check engine code without scanner?

JesseM

:
2003 Protege5
Hi everyone. Just curious if its possible to get the check engine code without using a scanner, for example in my old Dodge Neon you could turn the key a few times and the CEL would blink like morse code. I had the exhaust repaired recently and I'm guessing its the lower oxygen sensor since it was seized and they almost could not get it out, probably the original sensor. If anyone knows it would be helpful, don't have time for an appointment with the mechanic for the next few weeks and I'd like to order any parts myself.

As a side note, I had my P5 Krowned today (rust protection) and discovered the e-brake was snapped or something when I pulled into the driveway. Its probably just a coincidence, but they were messing around down there since the plastic housing around the e-brake handle was loose so I have half a mind to think the Krown shop broke it. Do these cars have a common point of failure for the e-brake also? Hoping it wont cost too much to fix since I can't prove Krown broke it.

Nah, Chrysler included a feature in their OBDII systems (up to 2000, at least, and possibly later) that many of us in the Neon forums liked to call "The Key Dance". You'd turn the key on, then off, then on, then off, then on and leave it there, all in about 6 seconds or less. The last time, you know you did it right if the fuel pump does NOT prime. Once the "fasten your seat belt" beeps stop, the CEL turns off, and then starts to flash in sequence. So, for example, it would blink twice, then pause, then blink 6 times, then longer pause - code 26. It would repeat that sequence through all your stored error codes. The codes wouldn't line up with the OBDII reader's P#### scheme, but it was really easy to look up the error codes online, or in your Haynes manual. Chrysler's been doing that for on-board error codes for decades, as far as I know - OBDI *and* OBDII.

To my knowledge, there's not a comparable self-diagnostic routine like that for our Mazdas. Luckily, OBDII readers are cheap now. Unluckily, if you don't have one and can't get one right this minute, the best you can do is swing by your local auto parts store and ask them to read your codes. They usually do it for free.

u can get the check engine codes without a owning a scanner.. Just go to AZ or Advanced or O reileys and use theirs lol

but seriously u can go to ebay get a elm327 i paid 3.25 for mine download torque and u can read the codes that way

I know that Chrysler did the Code Flash thing for later ones. My buddy had an 06 Caravan and we actually did that trick on his and it showed all the active and inactive codes in the odometer (digital, so it listed off P0421 for example, until it said END). Very nifty trick, and I wish we could do it on all cars.

u can get the check engine codes without a owning a scanner.. Just go to AZ or Advanced or O reileys and use theirs lol

but seriously u can go to ebay get a elm327 i paid 3.25 for mine download torque and u can read the codes that way

Thanks I'll probably get one of those scanners. The shop confirmed it was the lower O2 sensor today. Ah well, its the easiest one to get at.

Well last night the CEL went off on its own, on the way to the grocery store. It stayed off on the drive home also. It definitely has more power now, or the engine is gummed up and something cleared that was unrelated to the CEL, since the lower o2 sensor isnt supposed to affect fuel trim or anything performance wise. Woot!

Back