"Cheapest" way to get a new smart key fob, 2010? I have the metal key part that goes in it.

LordJezo

I put the word in quotes because cheap is relative, and these things are ridiculously expensive. We have a 2010 CX 9 that has the no key start thing that detects the fob and you just turn the key thingy. It's the kind with the lift gate button as well, except the lift gate is broken so I guess I don't need that.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a new fob? I have the metal emergency key part that goes into it so I just need the expensive electronics that it slips into.

Buy a new "smart-key" from a locksmith, e-Bay, dealer etc. Then is needs to be programmed to the vehicle by a locksmith or dealer. The smart-key's can be a few hundred plus the cost of the programming

I got rid of my smart-key, had two chip keys cut and programmed for $150CDN.

What's a chip key?

I remember I once called the local dealer about getting a key programmed and I was given some kind of line about them not being sure if they could program anything that was not bought by them specifically.

What's a chip key?

I remember I once called the local dealer about getting a key programmed and I was given some kind of line about them not being sure if they could program anything that was not bought by them specifically.
A chip key is a key with a computer chip in it that is programmed to your vehicle allowing it to start. Most vehicles have had these since the mid 90's.

I stay clear of dealers; they told me I couldn't do what I did, and tried to get me to spend $100's more to do things their way.

Attachments

• Smart_Key_031.jpg
    Smart_Key_031.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 116
Okay so with that you still need to remove the plastic cover from the key slot and actually use the key itself to start the car?

Back