changed my tranny. NO 5th GEAR!

yeah i think i'm just gonna try another JY tranny with the warranty. i'm off tomorrow so probably get it out early in the a.m. and see if i can do it in one day. haven't towed the car, it's only a couple piles form my house so i am probably going to use my friend's truck and pull it.

Good luck with the car! I'm moving to Plantation next week and my MSP is coming with. Maybe we can start a MSP club or something, it seems like theres a lot of guys in that area with these cars.

5th gear is the easiest to reach. just pull off the black part of the trans and see if it's loose or missing teeth. if it's loose, tighten it. if it's got no teeth, replace the gear!

if it's something as simple as something being loose, i will simply tighten it. but that probably won't solve my 5th gear problem. the hard part then becomes finding another FS tranny at the junkyard. there were several though. i'll keep you guys posted.

oh and tybrenis, check out sflamazdacrewforum.com they meet up every other sunday. some REALLY nice guys.

I have had just about every transmission problem you could think of with my BP transmission. Witch is laid out just about like the FS. And have replaced the 5th/reverse gear set a number of times back when I use to race it every weekend. A long with full gear sets. If it was loose you would hear it there is a big like 23mm nut holding the gear on and a pin. If you have a warranty left with it I would just get a new one like you said.

got the cap off, ordering the 5th/reverse kit with synchros tomorrow, they won't be in until like tuesday but that's cool. i need to buy those like 26/28mm sockets tomorrow also. anybody know the size of those two nuts?

UPDATE:

ok first off, the nuts on the probe tranny are a 32mm and a 27mm. second. the 5th/reverse from the protege is a COMPLETELY different part than it was on the 95 probe. problem with that is that gunther mazda won't take the part back (not even for an exchange for the proper part WHICH THEY CAN ORDER) i even offered a restocking fee. the part is UNUSED!

anyway as soon as i took the assy. off the car popped right back out of gear. the turns out this was the problem. all i need now is to actually convince them to exchange the part (have someone who works in sales working on that for me, friend of mine) i'll keep you guys posted.

dude thats pretty ******. i would talk to the head of the dealership. **** them. its not like you want your money back you just want the correct part for your trans. though i must ask...why would you get the 5th/reverse for a protege trans and not for a 95 probe trans?

lol, i asked myself the same question several times after. my stupidity. all this transmission stuff was very new to me, and i figured. ok FS motor, so it must be the same transmission. car's running now. runs fine. my store got held up at gunpoint last night so i'm a bit out of it... i'll reply with details in a bit.

Back