changed my tranny. NO 5th GEAR!

sickspeed94

:
Spicy MSP
Ok so I blew the old tranny. Got one out of a 95 probe. And it works flawlessly, except that when I put the car in 5th while driving, its as if I'm not in gear. The revs go up which means the sensor is reading that I'm in gear but nothing... if I push the stick farther it grinds a bit as if 5th is there but "too far away." My linkage is missing those two tiny bushings where it connects to the tranny which I purchased and will be installing in the next day or two but can onyone give some insight on what it might be in case that's not the problm? I just don't think those tiny bushings can physicslly cause this. Then again I could be wrong

EDIT: ok the bushings did not fix the problem... the shifter feels perfectly like it's in 5th gear but there's just nothing there.

UPDATE: 7/19

ok first off, the nuts on the probe tranny are a 32mm and a 27mm. second. the 5th/reverse from the protege is a COMPLETELY different part than it was on the 95 probe. problem with that is that gunther mazda won't take the part back (not even for an exchange for the proper part WHICH THEY CAN ORDER) i even offered a restocking fee. the part is UNUSED!

anyway as soon as i took the assy. off the car popped right back out of gear. the turns out this was the problem... teeth were mangled up a bit. all i need now is to actually convince them to exchange the part (have someone who works in sales working on that for me, friend of mine) i'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
Ya, installed the shifter without the bushings... Great work! (screwy)

Why get such a bad trans? Did you at least swap your LSD over?

There was no bushing. The guy who had the car before me really did a number on it. And that was the only tranny I could find at the junk yard. Didn't swap the lsd because the old tranny granaded itself. Picked it up and shook it an it sounded like a marraca. The thing looked like a bomb went off in it. The car is a daily so I'm not worried about it really. The tranny I got looks like it had just been rebuilt. I still don't think the bushings are the prob but we'll see. I'm not talking about the shifter bushing that everyone changes (like kartboy makes) I'm talking about the two that link the shift linkage to the tranny. Btw

Does anyone have pictures of where the other arm of the linkage is supposed to be installed just to make 100% sure its in the right place?

There was no bushing. The guy who had the car before me really did a number on it. And that was the only tranny I could find at the junk yard. Didn't swap the lsd because the old tranny granaded itself. Picked it up and shook it an it sounded like a marraca. The thing looked like a bomb went off in it. The car is a daily so I'm not worried about it really. The tranny I got looks like it had just been rebuilt. I still don't think the bushings are the prob but we'll see. I'm not talking about the shifter bushing that everyone changes (like kartboy makes) I'm talking about the two that link the shift linkage to the tranny. Btw

Does anyone have pictures of where the other arm of the linkage is supposed to be installed just to make 100% sure its in the right place?

dude, put the bushings in and see if it fixes it.

such is the plan. Can't do it until Tuesday so I'm gathering insight to see if anyone else has any ideas on what to check if it doesn't work. Tuesday is my only day off so id like to have all my ducks in a row by then.

Get some CS Bronzeoil ones. FAR better than stock rubber shittyness.

x2, i went with noloil but i dont think u can get them anymore. but they are pretty much all the same. corksport and twm i think are the only ones around.

My guess is your going to need to replace the 5th gear assembly. It can be done with the trans in the car. 5th and Reverse are both in the end cap of the trans. Pull the cover and swap them with your old trans and im sure that would fix your problem. Just make sure you put it back in correctly (2thumbs)

Excellent. While I've done pretty much everything there is to do mechanics wise, I'm probably going to leave this to someone with a shop. Now that I know all that though I can at least poke around and see what's up. Damn and I spent so much money on stupid royal purple. Might conserve it lol

Ok so on my way home from work tonight the car got stuck in reverse. Like. Its on the side of the road. I'm guessing the above posts were right about reverse/5th thing. No clue what I'm gonna do.

OK... I'll ask the obvious question. what were you doing in reverse on the road?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. if you fiddle with it enough you should be able to pop it out... I hope?

lol... i was slightly backing up to try and get myself positioned on the magnetic strip cause i missed a turn light 4 times in row. no other cars anywhere in sight. (about 12:10 a.m.) no i fiddled and yanked. don't wanna break anything else so i didn't put my whole body into it. but it's stuck.

edit: digging the FD wheels btw.

just found out i've got 10 days of warranty left on the tranny from the JY. at least this time the swap will be quick since i know what i'm doing. i might try to bring it by a tranny shop first to see how much they will charge just to repair it.

Back