Change the key in the key fob

Caspan

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
So I am a minimalist, the less on me the better. I love the new key fob with the key built in. One thing I was thinking though was changing that key to my home key so that I only need to carry the fob. I am trying to figure out a way to get my house key inside this thing. I know there is a small section at the bottom of the key that is used to lock it inside the fob and the rest is just key. I removed the small screw at the bottom and the key comes off nicely. Just curious if anyone had any ideas how to get a key cut that has that cut out in the bottom so it looks into the fob but then my house key is the rest?

P.S. Yes I know if the battery dies I will be locked out of my car... I have a way around it.

It sounds silly but I was thinking that.. I would Dremel tool the end off but then how would you put the key back on....

Yeah... a dremel is likely easier...Dunno how to extract the key stub from the plastic holder...It's likely molded on... You might try some heat on the key piece before cutting off and try to wiggle out of the holder. After, a little JB weld will hod the new one in...Good luck!

It looks like that screw holds it in. You should be able to unscrew the metal key from the plastic.

I have taken the key off with the screw but the plastic is molded to the key. I would have to cast a piece of plastic the exact shape if i wanted to do this.

would it not be easier to just order the key part and have someone cut (not sure it is the right word in english, I am french) the key with the model of your home key

Because my wife lost her key, I had to order the remote and the key seperately, and the key is just plain, you need to have it shaped at a place where keys are made (again not quite sure of the wording but I think you will understand)...if your home key is about the same length as the car key it should be easy to do!

Well I know you can get a blank and have it cut but the blanks I am assuming will be Mazda car blanks. they are shaped different then a house key and you would not be able to cut the blank to the shape of the house key. Good idea though....

Another option if you have the Homelink option in your CX5 would be to change the lock on your house to a homelink lock like Schlage's Nexia line (a homelink bridge is needed to convert zwave to homelink). No keys needed. :) We use Homelink to shut off the lights, the kids always leave on when we pull out of the driveway. :)

That would be a cool option. I never heard of it before! I thought that was always just for garage doors. I don't have that in my model sadly! Kind of cool reading up on it though, thanks for the info.

That would be a cool option. I never heard of it before! I thought that was always just for garage doors. I don't have that in my model sadly! Kind of cool reading up on it though, thanks for the info.

Its a dealer installable item. I had them install it for me. Total cost for the unit and installation was about 300. I love the mirror.

And remember homelink isnt a mazda exclusive technology. So if you invest in homelink technology for your house, you can get another car even not mazda, and the equipment will still work.

Back