Carputer Advice

Focus

:
MSP and RX-7
I would like some input if this is a good configuration for my carputer.

Case
Black Mini-ITX Slim Case 2.56"(H) x 8.27"(D) x 10.83"(W)

Motherboard
VIA EPIA-M10000 with embedded C3 Nehemiah 1ghz CPU

RAM
512mb PC-2100 DDR266

Hard Drive
40gb 2.5" 5400rpm

Optical
Slim DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo.

USB 2.0
2 x on Motherboard i/o 2 x on case front

Firewire (1394)
Header available on the motherboard however there are no ports on the case or I/O panel.

PCI
1 x 32bit PCI (Case does not support pci cards due to it's ultra compact size)

Power Supply
DC 62.40 Watt power supply with external AC/DC converter.

Audio
AC'97 On Board (Dolby 5.1 6 channel surround sound)

Chipset
VIA CLE266/VT8235

LAN
10/100 BaseT Ethernet on board

IDE
2 x ATA 133/100/66

Video
Integrated on chip.

TV Out
S-Video and composite out.

Misc
Composite video port is switchable between video output and SPDIFF Digital Audio Output

lg2_999994849.jpg

Oh ****, it comes WITH PSU? I am going to be using the opus 150W PSU and making a custom case. All OPUS PSU are intelligent and contain shutdown controller circuitry.

I had the Via M10000, but I now upgraded to a microatx board with Dothan 1.8ghz processor to handle my video, gps, wireless net, audigy ZS, ATI 9600pro. I also have the OPUS 150W and love it! I really disliked the M10000 audio control panel, it didn't function properly with any of the car interfaces (like Mediacar or Frodoplayer). Also, the motherboard hissing and hard drive popping could be heard over the onboard audio. I upgraded the board so I could use the Audigy 2 ZS card, it is much clearer.

I mean, the stuff you picked is fine, really. I just want to go a different way with it, im tired of seeing the same machines.

Dexter, if you are going full ATX and will be using all the slots then you are crazy...MicroATX has 3 pci and 1 agp. My Dothan Cpu burns 21.5W at full load. If you are using an AMD or P4 processor, you will be burning close to 90W or more. And that's just the cpu.

Dexter said:
using all the slots? no way man! the AMD Ahtlon Mobile 1.8GHz is 35W...
Good, you are using the mobile processor... :D
BTW, if you're not using all the slots, get the microATX like I have...

this is the board im using
MSI KT6V-LSR

i want audio onboard, and its gotta be s/pdif output coax, plus im using an SATA drive. If you know of a microATX board (and its gotta support AMD, Intel Pentium mobile chips are too ******* expensive) with coax digital and SATA support, let me know.

also i NEED a parrallel port.

I am making a wireless antenna for it as well, so it will replace my radio antenna , and it will still look like stock. its time for some wardriving ,Airsnort,Netstubler here i come.

I'm gonna have an xbox carputer with a tsop flash once I find somewhere to put it (birthday)

cool toucci. the thing i hate about putting the xbox in the car is the fact that it doesnt have a coincell for the time and date memory. its got that stupid "super cap" that only works for a couple hours. i guess its not a big deal, but setting the time and date every time you start the car is kinda gay...did anyone find a way to replace that thing yet?

I'm probably going to use XBMC to boot off of and add a shortcut to xebian for wireless usage and general hax0ring if I can get any USB wireless s*** working in it... I'll have to look up support for those

regardless of which route I'll take, time and date won't be an issue. I could just get a 12v power supply to replace the 120v one in it and run the atx power switch off of the cars ignition with a momentary relay or something. that way I can leave it hooked up all the time and still turn it on and off without the key. I'll have to check on the power draw while its turned off to see if it'll be a threat to the car battery

Back