2018 CX-5 won't start - "Ignition On" warning after turning off - What's going on?!

My 2018 Mazda CX-5 is currently at the dealership, but they say nothing is wrong as far as they can tell, so I'm hoping somebody has had experience with this happening to them and can tell me where to tell the mechanics to look.

I have had this happen twice now, about a month apart.

Basically, I put my car in park, turn the ignition off with the button, and put the parking break on (sometimes. This happens whether I do or don't. When I open my door, the car starts beeping at me and the ignition on warning light comes on. It won't lock behind me or with the key fob (assumedly because it thinks the car is on, the fob battery has been replaced). It does this for a few days every time I turn off my car, and then out of nowhere, it won't start. I get in the car and it continues to beep and say the ignition is on and nothing happens when I press the push to start button. No orange or blue light. It just doesn't respond even when I put the fob against the button, which is apparently it's version of a manual start.
The first time this happened, I was out camping so I decided to wait 24 hours before getting it towed and somehow it magically started on its own the next day. No tow needed. I had read on some random forum that I can no longer find, that it may have something to do with some rubber piece on the parking brake or not registering that it was in park. So, both times I tried turning the parking brake on and off bunch of times and tried pushing the shift harder to park. I didn't think it helped.

This time, trying to turn the parking brake on/off only worked every couple tries, but every once in awhile the button quickly turned blue for half a second and I was able to TRY to start it, but the battery was dead and my car started rolling backwards down my inclined driveway. The parking brake was not on, but it was in park which makes me think this whole thing is being caused because my car isn't registering that it is in park.

I had it towed to the dealer though, and they sent me a video saying the car turns on and off and isn't rolling when in park, so it's fine. Maybe jump starting the battery reset everything, but in the video they sent, the first time they turned off my car, I could see the "ignition on" light, so I feel like if I pick it up without them figuring out the problem, this is just going to keep happening.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

My 2018 Mazda CX-5 is currently at the dealership, but they say nothing is wrong as far as they can tell, so I'm hoping somebody has had experience with this happening to them and can tell me where to tell the mechanics to look.

I have had this happen twice now, about a month apart.

Basically, I put my car in park, turn the ignition off with the button, and put the parking break on (sometimes. This happens whether I do or don't. When I open my door, the car starts beeping at me and the ignition on warning light comes on. It won't lock behind me or with the key fob (assumedly because it thinks the car is on, the fob battery has been replaced). It does this for a few days every time I turn off my car, and then out of nowhere, it won't start. I get in the car and it continues to beep and say the ignition is on and nothing happens when I press the push to start button. No orange or blue light. It just doesn't respond even when I put the fob against the button, which is apparently it's version of a manual start.
The first time this happened, I was out camping so I decided to wait 24 hours before getting it towed and somehow it magically started on its own the next day. No tow needed. I had read on some random forum that I can no longer find, that it may have something to do with some rubber piece on the parking brake or not registering that it was in park. So, both times I tried turning the parking brake on and off bunch of times and tried pushing the shift harder to park. I didn't think it helped.

This time, trying to turn the parking brake on/off only worked every couple tries, but every once in awhile the button quickly turned blue for half a second and I was able to TRY to start it, but the battery was dead and my car started rolling backwards down my inclined driveway. The parking brake was not on, but it was in park which makes me think this whole thing is being caused because my car isn't registering that it is in park.

I had it towed to the dealer though, and they sent me a video saying the car turns on and off and isn't rolling when in park, so it's fine. Maybe jump starting the battery reset everything, but in the video they sent, the first time they turned off my car, I could see the "ignition on" light, so I feel like if I pick it up without them figuring out the problem, this is just going to keep happening.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?
You may just need a new battery as you indicated the battery is dead once for no reason.

But I‘d be really concerned about the car rolled when your CX-5 was in Park. That’s all mechanical and has nothing to do with a dead battery.

You may just need a new battery as you indicated the battery is dead once for no reason.

But I‘d be really concerned about the car rolled when your CX-5 was in Park. That’s all mechanical and has nothing to do with a dead battery.
I've had this issue twice now though and my battery, it has only died from it once. Do batteries really die that quickly? I have only had this car for a year-and-a-half. It has less than 25000 miles and anything left on the car turns off automatically.

I'd be concerned about the car rolling. If that's the case the system is not locking into park. They need to look at the interlock mechanism in the shifter itself. If you get no satisfaction from the dealer, I'd open a case with Mazda NA. Similar problem killed that dude in Star Trek. That was caused by the wonky gated shifter in the Jeeps.

Dealer should check the battery first. Does your CX-5 have the power liftgate? If so, you could have the defect where the liftgate drains the battery. Low battery voltage can cause wonky errors and idiot lights to come on.

You mentioned putting the parking brake on/off but what about shifting in and out of park? While the parking brake won't affect the ability to turn the car on or off, having the car in gear will. I would check that first.

Regardless of battery or not I would upgrade to a 640 CCA group 35 battery after the low CCA OEM one dies. You don't want to compromise any electronic component. That parking brake is electronic as well.

Back to OP...I think he's referring to the brake light pedal button part thingy needing to be cheked/replaced. This was discussed a few years back.

To OP:
Check the gear switch.
The car does not know it is in P gear.
It is probably on the verge of failing ... on and off.
Bad contact or switch.
That would be my guess. Does not seem like the 12V battery.

OMG identical problem

CX-5 2023 vehicle is 5 days old I'm receiving constantly ignition is on message upon turning off the car. Today car did not start. Again car is only 5 days old. I do not see peace sign switching to something else so I think Car knows it's in park.

What do I do I mean clearly I got to take it to the dealership but what is happening ?

was your battery discharged?

on my 2022 I get this msg if my door is open when I turn off the car

Back