Cannot move to next or previous song

:
18 CX-5
Hi, I've been using the same USB stick on Mazda Connect for 2 years without issues. Upgraded to 59.00.504 NA 2 months ago, but no issues until today, so this unlikely has to do with the software upgrade.

Today, all of a sudden it keeps replaying the same song over again. Even if I manually select Next or Previous, it picks the same song again. Other issues observed:

1. Artist list is now empty!
2. Album list empty too!
3. Playlists OK, and individual playlist showing COMPLETE song list too. But if I select any song to start, it repeatedly plays the same song as described above.
4. Song list also OK, but again, replaying same song once I select any to play.

Also, while (the same) song is playing, it says Unknown Artist and Unknown Album; this problem is at least consistent with observations 1 & 2 above.

I tried unplugging the USB stick, soft restarting by holding Back+Nav+Mute, shutting off engine for an hour, but no luck still.

Anyone has experienced the same, or knows of a thread with a solution? Thx

Hate to ask the obvious but you have to start at the simple things. You don't have the repeat button pressed, right?

Good question! I have repeat on as usual, but repeating an album (forgot the proper name of this option) but not repeating a song. Now that you ask, I wonder if it's caused by the other problem I've observed, that albums are no longer detected, and, with album boundaries gone, perhaps album repeat falls back to song repeat automatically. Let me check the manual, as I cannot remember the correct icons for the two repeat modes... In any case looks like I will have to try a different USB stick in case the metadata was corrupted somehow (although Mazda is not supposed to write to it, but read only).

There's always the possibility that the usb drive went bad. They are made by the millions in China. Do you have another stick with music on it to try and see if it performs normally?
Also can you take your bad stick to another vehicle or computer and see if it does the same thing?

I for one don't expect the cheap usb drives to last forever, that's why I keep all my music backed up on my computer in case I have to rip another stick.

There's always the possibility that the usb drive went bad. They are made by the millions in China. Do you have another stick with music on it to try and see if it performs normally?
Also can you take your bad stick to another vehicle or computer and see if it does the same thing?

I for one don't expect the cheap usb drives to last forever, that's why I keep all my music backed up on my computer in case I have to rip another stick.
Excellent advice and mazdafollower Id do the same to verify if the problem is from USB stick itself or from infotainment system.

I dont think Repeat function would cause your Artist list or Album list empty or make you cant move to next or previous song.

Actually what he said makes sense. If the album tags are gone as he said and evidenced by Unknown showing on the display it would use repeat on one song. Just turn repeat off and try to skip tracks.
So either the tags are gone or the radio just isn't reading them.
You should try that reread database option on the radio, too

You should try that reread database option on the radio, too

Thanks all for your advices. More findings:
+ Turning off Repeat does allow me to move to other songs, but still showing Unknown Artists & Albums when playing. Album & Artist folders still empty as expected.
+ So the subject of my thread is not appropriate. The real problem is albums/artists not being detected, while the mysterious Repeat is just the side effect.
+ Tried new USB card with new songs, same problem! Which means something is wrong and it persists on the Infotainment unit itself.

Can you elaborate on the "reread database option" please?

Problem solved! Not the Infotainment unit, nor USB card, but somewhere in between!

Noticed the message "Reconnecting USB device to resume" several times this evening, perhaps during the day too, but I didn't pay much as it went away after a few seconds each time. I then thought, if it's not the USB stick (since I tried a new one but same problem), it must be the USB slot. So far so good, fingers crossed, after a bit of cleaning (although there's no visible dirt or dusts). Guess the biggest lesson is not to let the USB drive sits in your car for almost two years, it needs some exercise once in a while.
(Yes I'm happy listening to the same music collection for decades, so I never bothered to update the files.)

Thanks again all.

⋯ Guess the biggest lesson is not to let the USB drive sits in your car for almost two years, it needs some exercise once in a while.
I pull my USB stick every time I leave the CX-5 for different reasons. For one its wifes daily driver, she may not like the songs in my USB stick. Secondly one time I left my USB stick in my Honda CR-V just for 20 minutes under the Texas sun, the content of the stick was totally corrupted and I lost all my favorite songs saved in the stick! Thiss Kingston life-time warranty USB stick, hence I fully trusted the quality and didn't have a backup!

Just had a rental Kia Soul last week while visiting friends in San Jose. It has light surrounding the USB slot, which is so convenient than ours to see the USB slot and plug my USB stick in; whereas on CX-5 I always have to search the USB slots especially in the dark.

I pull my USB stick every time I leave the CX-5 for different reasons. For one it’s wife’s daily driver, she may not like the songs in my USB stick. Secondly one time I left my USB stick in my Honda CR-V just for 20 minutes under the Texas sun, the content of the stick was totally corrupted and I lost all my favorite songs saved in the stick! This’s Kingston life-time warranty USB stick, hence I fully trusted the quality and didn't have a backup!

Just had a rental Kia Soul last week while visiting friends in San Jose. It has light surrounding the USB slot, which is so convenient than ours to see the USB slot and plug my USB stick in; whereas on CX-5 I always have to search the USB slots especially in the dark.

I hear you about the light. It's a total PITA trying to get the USB in the proper slot. I've taken to keeping a small flashlight in the front just for that reason. A little 2 watt LED would of been perfect in that little cubby.

Mazda -- are you listening ??

! This’s Kingston life-time warranty USB stick, hence I fully trusted the quality and didn't have a backup!

ALWAYS have a backup, no matter what it is, unless you don't care about losing it!!
[Murphy's Law #2,985]

Problem solved! Not the Infotainment unit, nor USB card, but somewhere in between!

Noticed the message "Reconnecting USB device to resume" several times this evening, perhaps during the day too, but I didn't pay much as it went away after a few seconds each time. I then thought, if it's not the USB stick (since I tried a new one but same problem), it must be the USB slot. So far so good, fingers crossed, after a bit of cleaning (although there's no visible dirt or dusts). Guess the biggest lesson is not to let the USB drive sits in your car for almost two years, it needs some exercise once in a while.
(Yes I'm happy listening to the same music collection for decades, so I never bothered to update the files.)

Thanks again all.

A lil plastic safe contact cleaner on the connections of the USB drive and the reader will help as well.

I pull my USB stick every time I leave the CX-5 for different reasons.

From now on I'll remove the USB stick every now and then, if not every time. Another good habit learned from you is to disengage EPB by pressing the button instead of letting the gas pedal do the job. :)

A lil plastic safe contact cleaner on the connections of the USB drive and the reader will help as well.

Thanks, much more civilized than the way I "cleaned" the stick 2 nights ago. I basically removed and reinserted the USB stick 20 times. (Similar to the way I revived dying/99% dead batteries in my TV remotes, by rotating them in place, still inside remote, for >20 turns. I probably still have batteries due for expiry 2008 around in my remotes. I know nothing about electronics but apparently it doesn't take too much electrical current for these to spit out a bit of IR.)

A pencil eraser works great, too, and you probably have one of those. [emoji16]

Thanks, much more civilized than the way I "cleaned" the stick 2 nights ago. I basically removed and reinserted the USB stick 20 times. (Similar to the way I revived dying/99% dead batteries in my TV remotes, by rotating them in place, still inside remote, for >20 turns. I probably still have batteries due for expiry 2008 around in my remotes. I know nothing about electronics but apparently it doesn't take too much electrical current for these to spit out a bit of IR.)

Here's what you want. It's the best stuff out there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

81AYrURzAFL._SL1500_.jpg

I know what you mean about your remote batteries. A lil of this stuff on the battery terminals and you won't have to rotate them any longer.

Back