Canadian specs for 2004 Mazda 3 sedan and hatchback

Not that the car will actually be called a Mazda 3 in Canada, as the Protege nameplate is to be retained due to the strong sales of the Protege in Quebec (where it outsells the Honda Civic -- something Mazda doesn't do anywhere else in the world).

Quoted from the Miata forum: http://www.miataforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=012522

As it's public record now (posted on about four boards that I can find), there's no need to hide this info...

Volvo version of the new chassis

Sounds like interesting things are afoot with the new chassis...

Volvos All-New S40 to Showcase Ford Global Synergies

By Peter Robinson

WardsAuto.com, Jul 28 2003

FRANKFURT A 220-hp T5 version looks set to head a strong lineup when the wraps come off Volvo Cars' new S40 at the Frankfurt auto show in September.

The new S40and next year's V50 wagon version are the first all-new Volvo models developed since Ford Motor Co. bought the Swedish auto maker in 1999.

Ford, Mazda Motor Corp. and Volvo all contributed to the creation of Ford's new C1 platform that, at its peak, could total a massive 1.6 million Focus, Mazda3 and S40 variants annually.

Volvo's contribution to the development of the C1 is in crash performance, safety, structural design and virtual-building technology. Ford's input is in dynamics and diesel engines; Mazda in gasoline engines, powertrain and exhaust.

Commonality reaches 60% in shared components and systems, yet each brand has sole responsibility for its own styling.

Caught during hot-weather testing, a barely disguised prototype reveals the S40's new styling, similar to the S60: strongly tapered headlights and nose, powerful shoulders and high, squared-off tail.

Where the S40 differs is in a more rounded roofline that contributes to its elegant Volvo appearance. And behind the camouflage, there is a third window in the C-pillar.

Built on the same 104-in. (264-cm) wheelbase as the Ford C-Max, up 3 ins. (8 cm) on the current model for significantly improved interior roominess, the new S40 gets a strong lineup of 4-cyl. and, for the first time in Volvo's entry-level model, 5-cyl. gas engines.

They include a 100-hp and 120-hp 1.6L 4-cyl. engine; 140-hp 1.8L 4-cyl.; and 170-hp and 220-hp versions of the 2.4L 5-cyl. At launch, the car is expected to get 107-hp and 136-hp 4-cyl. diesels. The drivetrain choice includes 5- and 6-speed manual gearboxes and a continuously variable transmission.

Volvo also plans an XC50, to be positioned under the popular XC90 cross/utility vehicle, although there has been no official announcement.

The vehicle would use the same all-wheel-drive system developed for the next-generation Land Rover Freelander, which also will be built on the Focus/S40/Mazda3 platform.

And there also are plans for a convertible in 2006.

The new S40 is to be built at Volvo's Ghent, Belgium, plant and not at the Born, Netherlands, facility shared with Mitsubishi Motor Corp, now controlled by DaimlerChrysler AG.

No. The Mazda3 will not be call Protege in Canada. I have an uncle who own's a mazda dealership around Montreal and he told me that the Mazda protege will be called mazda3, and he will receive his first order in november 2003.

gib said:
No. The Mazda3 will not be call Protege in Canada. I have an uncle who own's a mazda dealership around Montreal and he told me that the Mazda protege will be called mazda3, and he will receive his first order in november 2003.

Correct, the Mazda3 WILL BE the Mazda3 in ALL markets outside of Japan.

I just posted an article confirming this from Mazda Canada:
http://mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=124

gib said:

Correct, the Mazda3 WILL BE the Mazda3 in ALL markets outside of Japan.

I just posted an article confirming this from Mazda Canada:
http://mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=124

dugrant153 said:
Hmm... I wonder if the Mazda 3 will be that much better than the Protege?
I think so. If may or may not look better but it has more room, more power like the Mazda6 and should handle just as well. I can't wait to see and drive it.:)

I'm just wondering about reliability... is it still Japan made?
Cuz I think if it's a joint venture, then parts will come from all over... may not have that same japanese workmanship quality.

That's just my prediction.

dugrant153 said:
I'm just wondering about reliability... is it still Japan made?
Cuz I think if it's a joint venture, then parts will come from all over... may not have that same japanese workmanship quality.

That's just my prediction.

Yes, made in Japan

B.L. Zebop said:
The European-market Mazda 3s are being built in Spain...the remainder are all built in Japan.

That is incorrect, all Mazda3's are assembled in Japan.

From http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/200306/0625e.html

"To mark the start of production, a ceremony was held at Mazda's Hofu Plant in the Yamaguchi Prefecture of Japan. The official Job #1 vehicle, a European-specification, five-door, hatchback in Winning Blue, was greeted off the line by union representatives, Mazda employees and key company directors, including Hisakazu Imaki, Executive Vice President, Chief Engineering & Manufacturing Officer."

The only Mazda assembled in Spain is the Euro-spec Mazda2

Looks like it to me. But it looks too tall and narrow for my liking, like a Focus or Jetta. I like the part about being built in japan and sharing a Volvo developed platform.

Ford was the lead on the chassis design team, not Volvo. Volvo was involved in the safety aspect of the new chassis, and Mazda the motive power (though Volvo is using their own engines...only Ford will adopt the Mazda engine).

The only thing I like on the new models coming out are the way the taillights look and the projector headlights... other than that, I think my Protege 5 has much better lines than what is coming out.... oh yah, the interior is nicer as well....

Just curious,... is there a V6 available for the 3 series then?

ZiO said:
Just curious,... is there a V6 available for the 3 series then?
No...for the North American market only a 2.0L I4 and a 2.3L I4. The European market gets a diesel and a smaller I4 as well.

Back