2017~2024 Canada Diesel CX-5 Delayed?

While at the dealer getting the 60 month scheduled maintenance done on the '13 I requested a valuation be done on it. I was looking for ballpark trade-in/sell-for numbers on it, as my brother had expressed an interest in buying if from me in the event I replaced it. I thought fair the mid-point between the two numbers; we both save. I usually keep a car 10+ years, but I'd replace early for the diesel.

Back to pick up the truck, I was told that a salesman wanted to talk to me. He told me that Mazda had told them three weeks ago that the diesel would not be coming to Canada for the next model year. No reason given. I did confirm with service that even though Mazda had previously announced the diesel for the fall, Mazda had scheduled no diesel service courses for the shop's mechanics.

My '13 is still working fine and I can keep it waaay longer. I would have liked a quieter interior and a memory for the driver seat position, but not at the expense of reduced fuel economy. Has anyone heard differently?

Brian

Two things here:
1. It would have smelled funny if he wanted you to buy the new 2.5L instead.
2. If he just gave it as an info without any sales pressure -- there might be some truth.

But if 2 is true - I have no idea why they advertised it so much. Every video I see - people discussing CX5 bring two engine options. you would think they have atleast 98% of the work done before talking to the media or the customers. This will piss off potential buyers as well.
One reason why I dont want to hear a lot about HCCI. I hope to see it in 2018 in the 3 atleast, in Japan and few select markets.

Well, here's a funny thing. Go the the Mazda USA main page and note the "Future Vehicle" mention of the CX-5 Diesel. Then check the Canadian main page - nada.

Brian

Well, here's a funny thing. Go the the Mazda USA main page and note the "Future Vehicle" mention of the CX-5 Diesel. Then check the Canadian main page - nada.

Brian

If its not coming to CA its not coming to US. Why would they miss their stronger market (CA). Makes no sense.
But then, nothing is making sense now a days - I need to check if the EPA has been scrapped and coal rollers are getting $7500 subsidy.

2. If he just gave it as an info without any sales pressure -- there might be some truth.

He didn't try to sell me anything. Just wanted to let me know that as far as they can tell, there isn't going to be one here.

Brian

Last edited:
question: buy now CX5 or wait for HCCI ?

Two things here:
1. It would have smelled funny if he wanted you to buy the new 2.5L instead.

But if 2 is true - I have no idea why they advertised it so much. Every video I see - people discussing CX5 bring two engine options. you would think they have atleast 98% of the work done before talking to the media or the customers. This will piss off potential buyers as well.
One reason why I dont want to hear a lot about HCCI. I hope to see it in 2018 in the 3 atleast, in Japan and few select markets.

If its not coming to CA its not coming to US. Why would they miss their stronger market (CA). Makes no sense.
But then, nothing is making sense now a days - I need to check if the EPA has been scrapped and coal rollers are getting $7500 subsidy.

Your first sentence may end up (sadly) proving true but they sell 5X more CX5s down here so despite a higher % take rate for the diesel up north I think they'd still move many more units here.
But OP: By telling you its not coming he's 'getting' you to not wait and just take a perfectly nice shiny petrol unit..Not saying he's lying but he may be merely bending the truth a bit- you know the whole car sales thing..:)

Last edited:
Sadly, given the CX-5 diesel's NA debut has always been coming soon, I'm inclined to believe the dealer. Not training your service workforce seems like a strong sign that it's not coming soon.

Anyway, I'm sitting on two old cars and ready to buy. My Focus ST is at ~155k, the AC doesn't work, the exhaust is borderline not going to pass inspection this fall, it sucks for winter driving and carrying kids. My wife's old Subaru is closing in on 190k and has been requiring a lot of expensive maintenance in recent years. One more thing goes wrong and it's gone. We want to have an AWD vehicle that can handle the snow and has room for the two kids, so if the Subaru kicks I'm buying... something. If there's no diesel I'm disinclined to buy the CX-5, but I'm not sure what my leading alternative is.

^^Why disinclined? Still the best driving CUV in its class..I like the 16 a bit better and would look for deals there if I was thrust into the market now..9 is surprisingly good too kinda big but doesn't drive big.

Last edited:
Sadly, given the CX-5 diesel's NA debut has always been coming soon, I'm inclined to believe the dealer. Not training your service workforce seems like a strong sign that it's not coming soon.

Anyway, I'm sitting on two old cars and ready to buy. My Focus ST is at ~155k, the AC doesn't work, the exhaust is borderline not going to pass inspection this fall, it sucks for winter driving and carrying kids. My wife's old Subaru is closing in on 190k and has been requiring a lot of expensive maintenance in recent years. One more thing goes wrong and it's gone. We want to have an AWD vehicle that can handle the snow and has room for the two kids, so if the Subaru kicks I'm buying... something. If there's no diesel I'm disinclined to buy the CX-5, but I'm not sure what my leading alternative is.

Rav4 was being kicked and then they started giving huge discounts. Even Toyota knows an old Rav4 with some changes wont sell unless discounted.
Get an AWD Rav4. Pay 15% off sticker. Atleast it will be reliable - outdated but reliable.

Last I heard it was:

'Fall for introduction and likely end of 2017/beginning of 2018 to be actually available to purchase.'

Perhaps that's what was meant by 'next model year'?

Disinclined mainly because I don't like CUVs that much. It was the combination of good driving manners, handsome looks, and the diesel that got me excited about the CX-5. For daily driving, I really like a good modern diesel, or a turbo gasoline engine tuned for low end torque. And considering most of my miles are highway, the fuel economy of the diesel is a big draw as well. Take that away, and the CX-5 is still probably the one I would pick f I have to buy a CUV, but I would rather explore non-CUV options further.

We almost bought a CX-9 this spring, but my wife decided a minivan was more practical. For a family hauler, I liked the CX-9 a lot, loved the 2.5T and liked how it drove for the size. But we don't really need another family hauler, rather something just big enough to carry the kids and a few bags on short trips in bad winter weather or when the van is in the shop. Good suggestion though.

If not the CX-5 diesel, I'll probably have a second look at AWD wagons. I couldn't drive a RAV4, I'm bored enough as it is driving my wife's Subaru.

Last edited:
A dealer rep email that the US introduction had recently been delayed. No indication as to when.

Ironic isn't it the UK only gets a limit choice of petrol options, while every model has the dirty diesel, probably the Canadian government has decided the environment would benefit by not allowing in diesels cars, who knows.

There's a lot of Europe wide resistance now to diesel cars to improve city pollution.

Through all the years where European governments were pushing diesels, Euro NOx emissions standards were kept looser than in the US. That made it hard to bring diesel engines designed for the European market here. Volkswagen was the one who seemingly cracked that nut, but then we found out they were cheating.

It makes me wonder, hindsight being 20/20, if we all had just come together and agreed on a common, strict standard for diesel particulate and NOx emissions, Europe wouldn't have such a problem with diesel pollution and North America would have more diesel options.

In related news, Chevy has been successful in getting their diesel CUV to market. The Equinox diesel is on dealer lots now. Come on Mazda.

Through all the years where European governments were pushing diesels, Euro NOx emissions standards were kept looser than in the US. That made it hard to bring diesel engines designed for the European market here. Volkswagen was the one who seemingly cracked that nut, but then we found out they were cheating.

It makes me wonder, hindsight being 20/20, if we all had just come together and agreed on a common, strict standard for diesel particulate and NOx emissions, Europe wouldn't have such a problem with diesel pollution and North America would have more diesel options.

In related news, Chevy has been successful in getting their diesel CUV to market. The Equinox diesel is on dealer lots now. Come on Mazda.

Chevrolet, in my opinion, since the early 90's has led the front in engines, domestic and foreign. I don't really count Dodge because they use Cummins, and while excellent, Cummins is not "Chrysler" in origin. Ford lost me on diesel when they killed the 7.3L that God built for them and replaced it with a series of failures. I remember, back in 2005, I had oilfield guys coming to the lot looking for a 7.3. Had several beautiful barely used 6.0's, and they refused to even look at the pieces of s***, but would pay asking price on a used 7.3L without blinking, if they could find one.

Looks like Chevy has set that bar at 39 mpg for their diesel.
wonder what CX-5 will be rated at.

Ford does make some good small diesels in Europe.

My guess is mid-30s (highway) from the CX-5 diesel. I think it's rated at 6.0l/100km in Europe and Australia, which is equivalent to 39 mpg in US gallons. However, the US version will almost certainly use a richer map to reduce NOx.

Chevy's 1.6L plant is adequate in the Cruze, but it's not sufficient for a CUV in my opinion. I'm sure the torque will make it cruise easily, pull off the line comfortably around town, and take the hills. But I suspect that power for passing traffic on two-lane roads is going to be woefully inadequate.

Bought my CX5 last Friday. Asked the salesman about diesel.
He said, Mazda told them Oct is likely. (as a 2018)
There has been another delay recently.

Latest posts

Back