Can you drive in EBP Maintenance Mode?

Is it possible to drive the car if the EBP system is in Maintenance mode? I have had a situation where my caliper failed to release all the way and was dragging. I smelled the brake getting hot and pulled over. I engaged and released the brake a few times and it freed up, and it hasn't happened again. It occurred to me that putting the system into maintenance mode might release the system all the way and clear up the issue, but if it starts to re-occur I wondered if it would be an option to just disable the EBP by putting it in maintenance mode until I could get to the mechanic. So, will the car drive and will the brakes work in maintenance mode?

Background: My calipers were replaced under warranty several months after I bought the car new in 2016 due to the known issue of the EBP not fully releasing. In theory I have the updated calipers. In both cases (then and now) it was the right caliper that was dragging. I'm wondering if the caliper and brake motor were replaced or just the caliper.

Last edited:
I would not recommend driving the car around with the car in the electronic parking brake service mode. I’m sure it does something with the ABS disabling it. I would take it back into Mazda considering it’s only been a few months since they replace the calipers so obviously whatever they did not correct the issue.f the give you Any problems, make sure to have it documented. Then call Mazda North America and explain the situation.

Back