CAI Choices

wolverine_man

:
2008 Mazda3 S GT Sedan
I know this has been beaten like a dead horse and then again some more for good measure. But most of the discussion has centered on the more complicated turbo chargred 2.3 engines in the Speed3.

I am wondering what regular 3 (2.3) owners opinions are on the best CAI to add for performance, durability, and the least chance of causing a CEL. I am looking at:

1). Fujita
2). Injen
3). Mazdaspeed (OEM)
4). AEM

I am not concerned with price and I will eventually add an exhaust system. Any suggestions?

with a naturally aspirated motor, you're going to get roughly the same gains with ANY cold air intake.

I saw that thread the very minute that I posted mine. I know; I couldn't believe that I actually posted a similar thread right above that one. (doh) Anyway, I have not heard too much about K&N but I suppose the SRI/CAI option would be nice. I just really don't want to mess with getting any kind of CEL light. I wonder if anyone else can vouch for the K&N typhoon.

with a naturally aspirated motor, you're going to get roughly the same gains with ANY cold air intake.
I have been impressed at how thorough Injen is before they release an intake but autoxes is right, pretty much the same for all of them. I know people with each one of those intakes an have not heard any complaints or that one is better than the other.

I saw that thread the very minute that I posted mine. I know; I couldn't believe that I actually posted a similar thread right above that one. (doh) Anyway, I have not heard too much about K&N but I suppose the SRI/CAI option would be nice. I just really don't want to mess with getting any kind of CEL light. I wonder if anyone else can vouch for the K&N typhoon.

K&N has been around just as long as Injen. I just liked the K&N due to its CAI/SRI capability. But an SRI Injen would be way cheaper than a K&N CAI/SRI.

Go get the SRI Injen in red if you can find a good deal!

I wouldnt worry about CEL, if you follow the instructions (easy install) and make sure your clamps are on tight, you wont have a problem.

IF you ever encounter a CEL, all you have to do is unhook the battery for 1min or so and your ECU, therefore CEL will be reset/cleared. (Maybe clean the MAP sensor while u r at it!)

Nothing to worry about. Go get it, you will love it!!!

check out this link, will hopefully give you all the answers you require to make a decision!

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/50A5A115A1.aspx

Last edited:
I have read that CAIs make slightly better (cooler, and a greater amount of) airflow and hp and that their main advantage comes only in extremely wet conditions due to less chance of a hydrolock. But then again, I have read that a hydrolock on a CAI is difficult to achieve and requires some serious water splashing.

So if a CAI is going to make for better air flow, I should probably just get a CAI and then a filter shield/cover for extremely wet conditions, right?

You are right!!
The difference between CAI and SRI might be 0.5-1.5 hp if I am not mistaken.
So I was willing so sacrifice that for sound!! :)

Also I live in Canada, Ontario, the winters here are harsh, lots of snow, salt, and slush. So I did not want to run the risk of getting the CAI all iced or salted up; it being right by the wheel well.

Honestly, an empty tank of gas might give you that extra 2-5 hp as well (loose ~35kg!!!)...so maybe we should always be riding around on empty? That being said, its it all up to you and how much money you are willing to spend.

Cheers

I'm not so sure about hydrolock concerns, but my cold air intake was the cause of my MAF sensor demise. I ran through a fairly deep puddle in third gear at high RPM (expressway ramp, right after merging), sucking in great amounts of air for the high-RPM demands, pulled in a bit of water, and the car immediately began running very poorly. I later discovered the MAF sensor had died. I had to get a rental, a new MAF sensor, and an ECU reprogramming. Cost: $500. I now have a Simota SRI intake with carbon fiber/Kevlar heat shield to be installed.

like mm3canuck said in the other thread his can be made into a sri or a cai my 80$ bomz racing on does the same thing i have used it as a short one yet but i have wonder how much louder it would be its just such a pain to unistall this beast or install at that matter took me a lil over 1hr n hlf to put in ive had no issuse with it and im extremly happy with mine its www.bomzracing.com check em out its the same as injen for more than half the price....good luck though

hey derek, when you get your CAI do you think you could take some pics and tell me whether or not you can turn it into a SRI? because i know with my brothers galant, he was able to turn it into an SRI in the winter because he was afraid of hydrolock

oh and one other thing, does anyone have any experience with fujita? im interest is peaked by protegegarages group buy. I know the evo's had a CEL problem with fujita so i was wondering if there were other problems

Last edited:
definitely. It hasn't been sent yet, but it should be here next week and installed next weekend (probably Sat the 15th).

well that blows balls. i think i will get the K&N intake than. i know it'll cost more, but im used to waiting...and waiting blows camel balls

F2 CAI which is suppose to be the best CAI for the Mz3 which produce the most whp and has been dyno proven but a lil bit of low end is sacrificed.

Back