Bye Mazda 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD

:
CX-5 AWD, Touring
I just got rid of my 2017 CX-5 AWD touring. After 67,000 miles check in engine light came on.Last Thursday my engine while idle either parked starting up or at stop light the engine would rumble and shake. My mechanic worked on it for 2 days and replaced fuel injection system 4 sparks plugs and engine coils. But he also showed me and explained that 1 of my engine header valves was burnt and advised me that would need to be repaired eventually. That repair would have cost me $2800 parts alone not including labor which would have been at least 1 week and half or close to 2 weeks because it would be a complete tear down and repair. Luckily for me I got the check engine light cleared I found a couple local Honda dealers who appraised it and took it off my hands at 1K above KBB used appraisal value they paid off my car loan on the cx-5 and I did not roll over negative equity or balance on the new 2020 Honda Accord EX Hybrid I got. Mileage was ok at 26 to 28 MPG during the time I had it but infotainment system was slow and even after I bought and installed the OEM usb hardware update for Apple Car Play and updated the infotainment firmware it worked well but would crash sometimes or carplay would not recognize my Iphone 11 Pro. Before people ask I did the regular maintenance religiously through a Mazda dealer for the first 2 years and then with a high rated independent mechanic. Oil changes were done with Castrol full synthetic at Mazda dealers and then switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and still bought and used OEM Mazda oil filter. Break pads were replaced and 2 sets of Bridgestone tires were rotated on schedule and replaced.

I honestly don't like the direction Mazda is headed with the CX-50 in about 2 to 3 years and after this 2017 CX-5 I won't buy a Mazda again.

Last edited:
What kind of gas where you using? Repairs seems to be fuel related, figured I’d ask. Sorry to hear that.

Wow. Glad I got that warranty for 150K miles that everyone on here says won't pay for itself (It's already paying for $750 of its $2400, at 50K).

That said, your issues are super odd, man. I've never heard of or read of this before.

What kind of gas where you using? Repairs seems to be fuel related, figured I’d ask. Sorry to hear that.

The first repair was fuel injection system related which they clean out very well before mechanic had to replace it. I picked up my car 2 days later and still had the engine shake & rumble issue while idle. Mechanic put in STP fuel injector cleaner and filled up the gas tank. Drove home that night 35 miles home and engine & rumble shake issue cleared up but check engine light came back on. Went back to mechanic and had check engine light cleared again. Went car shopping all day yesterday to 4 different Toyota & Honda local dealers and walked away with an awesome deal on a brand new 2020 Honda Accord EX hybrid.

Extended warranty *likely* won’t pay for itself for most folks. With your past luck though I’d have gotten an extended warranty too. 8 yrs/82k miles for me but my Sport doesn’t have anything fancy. Power windows and a touchscreen head unit is as sophisticated as mine is.

Sorry OP, those are crazy bad repairs required this early. Costco gas is top tier too, can’t go wrong with that.

Oh, did you ever get the recall done to prevent the valve arm from falling off? I’m guessing it was but perhaps too late? Sounds like the mechanic may have fired the parts cannon and not actually fixed the real problem. I wonder if that valve was stuck closed due to the initial faulty oil pressure programming.

Extended warranty *likely* won’t pay for itself for most folks. With your past luck though I’d have gotten an extended warranty too. 8 yrs/82k miles for me but my Sport doesn’t have anything fancy. Power windows and a touchscreen head unit is as sophisticated as mine is.

Sorry OP, those are crazy bad repairs required this early. Costco gas is top tier too, can’t go wrong with that.
I know what you mean. Yes, I know who I am, and I plan accordingly. I have amazing luck with personal connections and so forth, and horrible luck with anything that has more than 1 moving part.

Sorry and I forgot to mention a key issue that was diagnosed and found by my mechanic is that I had a engine misfire on 1 of the 4 cylinders.

Basically this is very similar to my problem in this video:

Oh, did you ever get the recall done to prevent the valve arm from falling off? I’m guessing it was but perhaps too late? Sounds like the mechanic may have fired the parts cannon and not actually fixed the real problem. I wonder if that valve was stuck closed due to the initial faulty oil pressure programming.

I never got a email, snail mail, or phone call call from the Mazda dealer I bought it from or from the other Mazda dealer who I had it serviced for the first 2 years about the recall and found out about it on a google search.

I'm just glad I took action and was able to get rid of it without anymore loss financially. I know that the CX-5 I had was going down a slow death and would continue to give me more costly repairs & problems if I kept it.

I never got a email, snail mail, or phone call call from the Mazda dealer I bought it from or from the other Mazda dealer who I had it serviced for the first 2 years about the recall and found out about it on a google search.

I'm just glad I took action and was able to get rid of it without anymore loss financially. I know that the CX-5 I had was going down a slow death and would continue to give me more costly repairs & problems if I kept it.
For sure, just speculating. It’s sucks to see one of our folks get burnt so early into a vehicles life. No excuse for the car. You did everything you could do.

It was a '17 model. There is no CD on '17 models.
I got one so I should know. I believe it began with '18 models (non-turbo).

To OP. Sorry to hear the problems you faced.
I don't know what this means: " header valves was burnt "
Anyway. Good luck with your Honda Accord hybrid.

LOL

Folks, invest $20 in a basic OBD II scanner so you can check the codes the CEL is throwing and have some idea of what's wrong BEFORE you take it to a mechanic.

I didn't have time or tools to do this. This happened last Thursday while I was at work and went on my lunch break. I also was not going to make my 35 mile drive home with the problems I was having. Also if you see the youtube video I posted that's not something most people can do in their home garage.

LOL

Folks, invest $20 in a basic OBD II scanner so you can check the codes the CEL is throwing and have some idea of what's wrong BEFORE you take it to a mechanic.

You can just borrow the one they have behind the counter at the auto parts store.

Here’s the thing. You paid your mechanic to fix your car, and the mechanic gave it back to you still doing the same thing. What did you pay for?

That mechanic clearly didn’t test drive your car after “fixing it”. Forget the reviews, you have a bad mechanic.

I just got rid of my 2017 CX-5 AWD touring. After 67,000 miles check in engine light came on.Last Thursday my engine while idle either parked starting up or at stop light the engine would rumble and shake. My mechanic worked on it for 2 days and replaced fuel injection system 4 sparks plugs and engine coils. But he also showed me and explained that 1 of my engine header valves was burnt and advised me that would need to be repaired eventually. That repair would have cost me $2800 parts alone not including labor which would have been at least 1 week and half or close to 2 weeks because it would be a complete tear down and repair. Luckily for me I got the check engine light cleared I found a couple local Honda dealers who appraised it and took it off my hands at 1K above KBB used appraisal value they paid off my car loan on the cx-5 and I did not roll over negative equity or balance on the new 2020 Honda Accord EX Hybrid I got. Mileage was ok at 26 to 28 MPG during the time I had it but infotainment system was slow and even after I bought and installed the OEM usb hardware update for Apple Car Play and updated the infotainment firmware it worked well but would crash sometimes or carplay would not recognize my Iphone 11 Pro. Before people ask I did the regular maintenance religiously through a Mazda dealer for the first 2 years and then with a high rated independent mechanic. Oil changes were done with Castrol full synthetic at Mazda dealers and then switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and still bought and used OEM Mazda oil filter. Break pads were replaced and 2 sets of Bridgestone tires were rotated on schedule and replaced.

I honestly don't like the direction Mazda is headed with the CX-50 in about 2 to 3 years and after this 2017 CX-5 I won't buy a Mazda again.
Appreciate your story although it’s a sad one. People who may have similar problems on their CX-5 could learn some lessons from your story. I too feel like your mechanic is a questionable one based on your story. But in the end you’ve got rid of a potential problem, and got a brand new Accord hybrid for a peace of mind.

If you don’t mind to get a OBDII code reader, you can always go to auto parts stores such as AutoZone to read the codes and get appropriate solutions for free. Thus you can have some better ideas about your CELs and possible solutions. You won’t get fooled too easily by those indie mechanics.

Yes, no cylinder deactivation recall for OP’s 2017 CX-5. Mazda added CD feature started on 2018 CX-5 without any advanced warnings. It made me canceled my plan to purchase a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD, once I found out it was real.

It was a '17 model. There is no CD on '17 models.
I got one so I should know. I believe it began with '18 models (non-turbo).

To OP. Sorry to hear the problems you faced.
I don't know what this means: " header valves was burnt "
Anyway. Good luck with your Honda Accord hybrid.

my bad. Had to get the recall done for my mother in laws CX5. Forgot it was an ‘18, not a ‘17.

Back