2017~2024 Buffing Out The Scratches

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I'm coming up on the second year anniversary of ownership of my Signature turbo and ithe body is full of subtle scratches. I've gone down some narrow dirt roads with shrubbery jutting out and despite trying to be careful I've gotten scratched on those. Add to that the foliage on the main country roads I drive is often not trimmed back and sometimes juts into the main thoroughfare when you least expect it. Then there was the girl wearing a lot of rings who carelessly opened the passenger door leaving many scratches. Lastly the car wash jockies at the car wash I've used have caused some blemishes (including screwing up the outside mirror from forcing it by hand) though vehemently denying it. And not to mention potent bird droppings and falling plant material, leaves flowers and so on frying on the flat surfaces of hood and roof. As a result I'm looking at having all these issues buffed out followed by an application of carnuba wax. The cost is about $200 US. I'm of two minds since it will only be a temporary fix considering that the conditions I drive through won't be changeing anytime soon and the process will likely have to be carried out again another two years down the road. Wonder if it's worth it.

sounds like you need some PPF (paint protection film). Yes the initial price is going to be significant, but the protection is going to be MUCH better than anything from a bottle.

Of course like so many products there will be a balance between price and performance, and stating which is "best" is going to create a lengthy conversation

two products that often get mentioned in discussions such as this:

^^^ This.

Besides that, I would get the car paint corrected, but instead of a carnauba wax, I'd look into a ceramic coating. The wax likely won't last long, and a ceramic coating does provide a small amount of light scratch protection. It's also more durable when it comes to things like bugs, tree sap and bird poop.

Great tips thank you. I'm just not sure what is going to be available here in Colombia.

Got any pictures?

I agree with both of the above posts.
PPF will provide quite a bit more protection, but costs more.
Ceramic will add a tiny bit more protection, but costs less.

For the ceramic, I know a lot of companies push the hardness of the coating, but I think the big benefit is that you add a microscopic thin sacrificial layer to the paint. So, most of those fine scratches and swirls are in the ceramic coating, not the clear coat. Adds to the overall longevity of the paint.

I ceramic coated my Golf R shortly after I purchased it last year. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I've only racked up about 6k miles in 9 months. The good thing is that the ceramic coating is still gleaming and paint still looks like candy. With how much I drive and being garage kept when not driven, I'm guessing the 2 year coating will last me close to 5 years.

Back