BSM at speeds lower than 20 mph

Is it possible to make BSM work at 0 or 1 mph speeds and above instead of 20 mph for 1st gen. CX-9? Anyone tried the modification using Forscan for example?
I think it's possible by modifying the "as built data" or I'm wrong!

Wosman, really? 0-1 MPH? If you're going that slow what can't you see by looking out the windows or using cameras or parking assist sonar? Drive safely my friend!

^^^^
That was my first thought but it occurred to me Audi, Hyundai, and others actually do use the BSM sensors when the car is parked. “Exit Assist” .... it’s alerts you when you’re exiting the car and another car is coming. ;)

At this point, I think most people with first generation CX-9's are thankful that the blind spot monitors work AT ALL, never mind at low speeds. The sensors in the bumpers on mine lasted about 10 years and I've not replaced them because they are quite pricey. The list price is over $600 for each of them and used ones go for $100 and up (and it's hard to find "newish" used ones that make spending money on them really worth it).

If you figure out Forscan and the BSM system, maybe you can teach me how to just turn the whole system off so I don't have to look at the flashing BSM light.

Thank you all for all the inputs. The case is the cx-9 is a bit higher than others sedan, so when driving at low speed and in most cases, I'm unable to spot low profile cars in my side mirror rolling at any speed. But on the other hand, when driving a M.B. ML 350 for example, BSM starts warning me even from full stop. So why not the CX-9? It's a verry similar system in both cars, and I'm thinking if I can change some parameters using forscan or any similar program, I may be able to modify it to work at lower speeds.
Hope anyone have any experience, so please advise.

Last edited:
User @enlil has tried playing with Forscan, but he was looking to enable lane centering, not modify BSM parameters. Either way, he may have come across something, or he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I do not think this can be done through Forscan.

Forscan only allows you to configure features already programmed in the car. What you're saying would only be possible if there exists some Mazda somewhere in the world that has BSM at 0mph. Otherwise, Mazda wouldn't have a reason to make the minimum speed of BSM to be configurable.

UPDATE:
Some good news: 2017 Mazda CX-5 NA/Canada/Australia models have BSM at 6.3mph+, but in Europe its 19mph+. I'll look into it more whenever I have time, but I'm thinking it may be using a different radar.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I do not think this can be done through Forscan.

Forscan only allows you to configure features already programmed in the car. What you're saying would only be possible if there exists some Mazda somewhere in the world that has BSM at 0mph. Otherwise, Mazda wouldn't have a reason to make the minimum speed of BSM to be configurable.

UPDATE:
Some good news: 2017 Mazda CX-5 NA/Canada/Australia models have BSM at 6.3mph+, but in Europe its 19mph+. I'll look into it more whenever I have time, but I'm thinking it may be using a different radar.
Thank you for the reply and hope to find a way to reduce the BSM activation speed.

Back