Ways to reduce 2016 CX-9 body roll?

:
2016 Mazda CX-9
Hey everyone,

So I own a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring. Yesterday, I drove the 2023 CX-9 Signature as my local A]Mazda dealer gave it to me as a loaner. I noticed the 2023 CX-9 has significantly less body roll in the corners and I was wondering if there were any aftermarket/OEM products you guys used to reduce the body roll in your CX-9. I’d appreciate any feedback you guys have!

Best,
Shawnee

mazda returned the suspension starting in my2021 to make it firmer and more controlled. I think that's what your feeling.

I use to own a 2017 GT and recently purchased a 2022 GT. The corning and hard acceleration is definitely improved. Less body roll and correction in the corners/changing lanes and less torque steer. I think it's due to the G-Vectoring Control Plus, added to the newer Mazda's.

You could always try coilovers. I almost put them on my old 2017 but just swapped in new struts, shocks, mounts and control arms instead. The suspension wore fast in my 2017 and was losing control around 70k miles, when I changed it out.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

So I own a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring. Yesterday, I drove the 2023 CX-9 Signature as my local A]Mazda dealer gave it to me as a loaner. I noticed the 2023 CX-9 has significantly less body roll in the corners and I was wondering if there were any aftermarket/OEM products you guys used to reduce the body roll in your CX-9. I’d appreciate any feedback you guys have!

Best,
Shawnee

As @Dlcorbett mentioned, it looks like the suspension was retuned in 2021. I did a search on some online part catalogs and it appears that the OEM front and rear stabilizer bars are the exact same, but the front and rear shocks are different, as well as the front coil springs. Based on this info, by replacing the OEM parts with the newer parts or doing aftermarket upgrades of these parts, you could get close, but keep in mind that there's no way to add G-Vectoring Plus.

I found the part numbers here:

When I replaced the suspension on my 2017 GT these were the parts I ordered from Mazda Swag. I thought the price difference between the left and right strut was strange. It was an easy diy to replace. The hardest parts were removing the ball joints and I had to lift the engine up a little to fit my socket on one of the control arm bolts. I'm pretty sure all it needed was the front struts at 70k miles but I was planning on keeping the vehicle so I replaced other components as well. Then the weak head issue and the crazy used car market made me trade for a new 2022 GT.

1670004406637.png

Last edited:
G vectoring became standard on the 2018 CX9 and according to Edmunds, additional substantial suspension upgrades were also made starting on the 2019 models. I'm not aware of any suspension changes on 21 models. Also attached is an article about improving your suspension. Good luck.

Back