Bluetooth does not connect every time

:
2009 Mazda 5, Grand Touring
I have a 2009 GT with the bluetooth. Last month I rear-ended a car at low speed and suffered some minor front end damage and the driver's side airbag deployed. I have gotten the body damage repaired but now my bluetooth connection doesn't always connect to my cell phone. The little phone symbol on the dashboard doesn't come on every time like it used to. I am planning to taking it in the the Mazda dealer to get it checked out but doesn't anyone have any ideas what may have gone wrong? Wiring damaged somewhere? Thanks.

Hi,

I do not own the bluetooth option - this is ONLY a logical estimate.

I think you go through the sound system when the bluetooth comes on, when there is a communication. LOGICALLY, since there are radio controls in the steering wheel, and the air bag deployed, it might have loosen a wire on the connectors, broken a connector or it simply did not get correctly plugged in when reinstalling the air bag. This could account for the intermittent problem, an intermittent contact.

Anyone out there with more experience - please comment this logical estimate.

Update

I took my Mazda 5 to the dealer last week. The damaged part is the telephone adapter, part #CE4966DHX. They suspect that the part was damaged when the airbag went off. The part is on order. So far it's been a week. Don't know why Mazda parts take so long. Is there only one warehouse of the entire US? It took them almost 3 weeks to get a seatbelt after my collision. Anyway the part is $811.51! Plus, there was a $180 charge to find the problem. I am hoping my insurance will cover it as part of the accident claim.

The pattern seems to be the bluetooth won't find the phone on the first starting the car but if I stop and restart the car or shutoff the phone and restart it, it will connect. So it's just that initial time it fails to connect.

part #CE4966DHX.... $811.51!...

At that price, I suspect they are going to change the whole bluetooth kit... not only the plug (adapter).

Would you mind keeping us updated on this - I am very curious to know if they will disassemble the steering wheel to change more parts. Other controls, such as cruise control or radio commands might be affected when a bag pops out.

Yes, this should be covered under the collision repair by the insurance company.

I had never thought about it until now, but it is scary to think about all of the little bits and pieces that could be effected by an airbag explosion in the car.(boom05)

Update

The Mazda dealer replaced the bluetooth telephone adapter this week and everything works fine now. I did lose all my phone book entries. Not a big problem, though; I didn't have very many. For those of you who may not know, the bluetooth has a "phone book" where you can call people by voice commands.

According to the invoice the adapter is mounted below the passenger airbag; however, it was only the driver's side airbag that deployed. Seems odd that it was damaged since it's on the opposite side. Probably something to do with the electronics?

Also, my auto insurance came through and covered it which was a relief.

The Mazda dealer replaced the bluetooth telephone adapter this week and everything works fine now. I did lose all my phone book entries. Not a big problem, though; I didn't have very many. For those of you who may not know, the bluetooth has a "phone book" where you can call people by voice commands.

According to the invoice the adapter is mounted below the passenger airbag; however, it was only the driver's side airbag that deployed. Seems odd that it was damaged since it's on the opposite side. Probably something to do with the electronics?

Also, my auto insurance came through and covered it which was a relief.

Hey a satisfied customer, we get that a lot around here. (wiggle)

Peace!(rei)

Another update

The problem with the bluetooth not connecting every time came back. It took my car back to the Mazda dealer and after checking everything, concluded that it's my cell phone, LG VX-5500. They said the technican's phone connected every time. Funny thing is that my cell phone used to connect every time too. So I guess I'll just have to put up with it or get a different cell phone.

The problem with the bluetooth not connecting every time came back. It took my car back to the Mazda dealer and after checking everything, concluded that it's my cell phone, LG VX-5500. They said the technican's phone connected every time. Funny thing is that my cell phone used to connect every time too. So I guess I'll just have to put up with it or get a different cell phone.

I have the same problem. I am on my third cell phone now since we purchased the 5 and the problem still exists. I don't think the phone is at fault.

I've read a few problems on a multiple auto review websites from owners regarding the Factory Bluetooth. A couple of people on Edmunds.com also mentioned having connection problems with the factory Bluetooth. While I don't have the factory Bluetooth, I do have a fully integrated Parrot CK3100 installed in my V along with the same exact Verizon LG VX-5500 and have never had a connection problem with the aftermarket bluetooth. For a cheap phone, the 5500 has been the best cell phone I've ever owned so I would look to the factory bluetooth for the problem rather than the phone.

Good luck.

I suppose your cellphone's bluetooth has been set to 'visibility=always visible'? My tomtom930 gps behaves the same way if my cellphone's bluetooth is set to 'hidden'.

Connection

I don't see that option on my cell phone. It connects most of the time, so it's not all bad. Still sucks that it was working perfectly connecting and now it's sporadic. When it does not connect, it's just a hassle to have to turn the bluetooth off and on again.

I have a 2010 GT and it has the same problem. It seems to always connect to my wife's Motorola fine (she's set as priority #1, have at it if you want ;) ) My blackberry is hit n miss and ya if I do the restart car or reboot phone it seems to connect. I've played with the "discoverable" settings on my phone a bit and didn't seem to make any changes. I'm going to bring it up to the service guy on our next visit, though I suspect they'll just say they don't guarantee every phone is full compatible.

I have a 2008 GT and have never had a problem with a very old LG VX8300. The bluetooth always connects, if the phone is in the front or second row of seats. The phone seems to be too far to connect if it is in the very back say in a duffle bag. On rare occasion my phone does mysteriously shut itself off, probably due to loose phone battery contacts, but overall I have been very pleased with the bluetooth speaker phone feature in the car.

Nokia 2720 connects

I traded cell phones with my wife since she has a T-Mobile prepaid plan and I make much fewer calls so that plan fits me better. Her cell is a Nokia 2720 and it has connected everytime in my Mazda 5. Go figure... (thumb)

My phone connects to our 5 when I'm on my phone and my fiancee pulls into the garage, regardless of where I am in the house. I've never encountered the problem. But, I only let it connect so that I hear it ring because the bluetooth is actually useless for trying to talk to people with. They all ask me to roll the windows up, even when they're up and the A/C is turned off. I don't use it to talk on anymore. Just as a ringer when I'm in the car with the stereo turned up.

Back