Blue screen of death..

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
Put the shifter into reverse today and the display turned blue just like a hard drive dying on a PC! I put it back into park and then in reverse again and the rear display showed normal again. Oh well, at 40k miles I guess I can expect these sort of things.

Last edited:
Put the shifter into reverse today and the display turned blue just like a hard drive dying on a PC! I put it back into park and then in reverse again and the rear display showed normal again. Oh well, at 40k miles I guess I can expect these sort of things.

The only thing that's ever failed on my 2013 CX-5 was the back-up camera. It went from some horizontal static lines on the back-up view to the blue screen very quickly. It took a couple of days before all it would show was blue. The dealership said it was water ingress in the camera and they replaced it under warranty with an upgraded camera from Mazda (better weather sealing). I'm guessing you've had some heavy rains recently?

MikeM... that is probably the case with madar's issue.

That TSB appears it extended into 2014 year.

http://www.mazdaproblems.com/tsbs/CX-5/2014/

BACK OVER PREVENTION: CAMERA SYSTEM

Date Reported
JUNE 04, 2014
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#09-016/14
Description: SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE INOPERATIVE REAR MOUNT CAMERA. DUE TO WATERING ENTERING THE CAMERA FROM A HIGH PRESSURE CAR WASH. 06/04/14*LJ

The only thing that's ever failed on my 2013 CX-5 was the back-up camera. It went from some horizontal static lines on the back-up view to the blue screen very quickly. It took a couple of days before all it would show was blue. The dealership said it was water ingress in the camera and they replaced it under warranty with an upgraded camera from Mazda (better weather sealing). I'm guessing you've had some heavy rains recently?

Been seeing interference lines for a few months now on and off. Yeah, has been a wet summer except for the last few weeks which have been dry. Checked the price of the Mazda direct replacement part number (KD33 67 RC0B) per the TSB available on this website and it’s in the $200 plus range. Yikes. Really miss this device. Think I’ll use the old-fashioned stick on Fresnel lens on the back window until I can get this fixed. How do you pull one of these out?

Been seeing interference lines for a few months now on and off. Yeah, has been a wet summer except for the last few weeks which have been dry. Checked the price of the Mazda direct replacement part number (KD33 67 RC0B) per the TSB available on this website and it’s in the $200 plus range. Yikes. Really miss this device. Think I’ll use the old-fashioned stick on Fresnel lens on the back window until I can get this fixed. How do you pull one of these out?

The dealer did mine under warranty. Of course you need to remove the interior cover of the rear hatch which is easy enough when you know the proper sequence of pry points (I don't).

My camera failed very early after purchase and everything else on the car has been 100% reliable the last three years. Since it failed before I ever took a car wash pressure wand to it I suspect it was due to parking in the rain pointing uphill during periods of night/day freeze/thaw. I still park in the same spot but the updated camera appears immune from this issue after three years. (2thumbs)

According to the TSB, models manufactured after 10/12 should have the redesigned camera. Redesign was a reshaping of the unit. My vehicle was manufactured in 1/13 so I should have the updated unit. The problem I have is quite intermittent so what I did was take the back panels off and sprayed an electronic cleaner/lubricant in the connectors. By the way, one didn't seem to be all the in so maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I have a solid picture now, so let's hope for the best.

According to the TSB, models manufactured after 10/12 should have the redesigned camera. Redesign was a reshaping of the unit. My vehicle was manufactured in 1/13 so I should have the updated unit. The problem I have is quite intermittent so what I did was take the back panels off and sprayed an electronic cleaner/lubricant in the connectors. By the way, one didn't seem to be all the in so maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I have a solid picture now, so let's hope for the best.

Yep, sounds like a bad connection

Resurrecting this thread as this happened to me last night. Was backing into a parking spot when the screen went blue. Shifted to Park then back to Reverse and it came back. Guess I'll be taking the panel off and checking connectors too.

Hi, i'm experiencing the same thing. I have recently installed an aftermarket camera and sometimes i see the blue image instead of the signal from the camera. Sometimes even the blue image does not appear. Hope someone can give us a clue....i have not washed the car yet, so there was not water poured into the camera.

Hi, i'm experiencing the same thing. I have recently installed an aftermarket camera and sometimes i see the blue image instead of the signal from the camera. Sometimes even the blue image does not appear. Hope someone can give us a clue....i have not washed the car yet, so there was not water poured into the camera.

You have a loose connection.

You have a loose connection.
True! A couple of hours ago i saw the blue screen again. I knocked the front panel of the radio and the image came back....i will dissamble the radio, probably the loss connection is In the rear panel of the radio. Many thanks!

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Read this thread this morning and coincidentally this afternoon our CX-5's infotainment system suddenly stopped playing music from a memory stick with a blue screen while driving. It then restarted by itself and back to music playing. This's the first time we have problem on playing music and rebooting on our infotainment system! Although our navigation has not been working for several months now but I don't think they're related.

Worse, when we came back from grocery shopping and found the edge of the rear-left bumper pop out of the position with metal body panel near gas filler cap! Don't know if the rear got hit by someone while our CX-5 parked, our the bumper simply just pop loose due to the cold weather contraction ⋯ (mad)

Back