Blue discs at the front brakes

sykopat

:
Mazda Mazdaspeed6 2006, Mazda 3 Sport GT 2007
Hello guys,

I need your help regarding a disk issue I've been having for quite a while...

When I bought the car about 4 months ago, it had new disks and pads at the front brakes. Since I bought it, I've been having brake noises, from screeching noises while braking to constant friction noises following the wheel speed...

First, the dealership turned my disks... Obviously, it didn't fix the issue. Then, they discovered that the front pads were defective, causing an irregular contact with the discs. I was then told that the discs had heated and were getting blue-ish...

About 2 weeks later, I had to go back cause the screeching noise was gone, but I still had something always in contact with the discs... Today, they discovered that the calipers were incorrectly lubricated, they had to do a whole maintenance job on them, without replacing them, and supposedly, now the problem is gone.

My question is, I was told again today that my discs were even worst (blue) than before, and that the only possible reason was that I was too hard on them, and exploited the brakes too much...

Seriously, I've had about 8 cars in my life, from sh1tty cars to "kinda" performance compact (RSX-S, VR6, etc.) and NEVER had any blue discs before, and never was I told that I mistreated the car too much...

I do know that the Mazdaspeed6 weights a lot, but still, I'm very skeptical, especially considering that I've had only bad experinces at this dealer, but had no choice to go there since the issue had been on the car since day one, and would not have been warranted by another Mazda dealer since another dealer did the brake job.

I do not know much about mechanics, therefore I'm asking everyone's opinion. Wouldn't the fact that I constantly had something rubbing on the discs cause the blue discs issue more than the way I treat the car? I would lie to say that I never had to break hard, but not more often than any other cars I had before.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hello guys,

I need your help regarding a disk issue I've been having for quite a while...

When I bought the car about 4 months ago, it had new disks and pads at the front brakes. Since I bought it, I've been having brake noises, from screeching noises while braking to constant friction noises following the wheel speed...

First, the dealership turned my disks... Obviously, it didn't fix the issue. Then, they discovered that the front pads were defective, causing an irregular contact with the discs. I was then told that the discs had heated and were getting blue-ish...

About 2 weeks later, I had to go back cause the screeching noise was gone, but I still had something always in contact with the discs... Today, they discovered that the calipers were incorrectly lubricated, they had to do a whole maintenance job on them, without replacing them, and supposedly, now the problem is gone.

My question is, I was told again today that my discs were even worst (blue) than before, and that the only possible reason was that I was too hard on them, and exploited the brakes too much...

Seriously, I've had about 8 cars in my life, from sh1tty cars to "kinda" performance compact (RSX-S, VR6, etc.) and NEVER had any blue discs before, and never was I told that I mistreated the car too much...

I do know that the Mazdaspeed6 weights a lot, but still, I'm very skeptical, especially considering that I've had only bad experinces at this dealer, but had no choice to go there since the issue had been on the car since day one, and would not have been warranted by another Mazda dealer since another dealer did the brake job.

I do not know much about mechanics, therefore I'm asking everyone's opinion. Wouldn't the fact that I constantly had something rubbing on the discs cause the blue discs issue more than the way I treat the car? I would lie to say that I never had to break hard, but not more often than any other cars I had before.

Thanks for the feedback.

The discs turning blue would have more to do with consistent high heat conditions (the brake pads remaining on the discs for a long period of time) than heavy brake use. Pretty much the only way you could get the discs to turn blue from use is if you were riding the pedal for the majority of the time you were driving it.

Thanks for the quick answer. And what would be the impact on having blue discs, other than faster wear?

Blue rotors can quickly lead to cracked rotors. Like autoexes said, heat is the cause of the blue, but the more important question is the cause of the heat. It sounds like you've got a hanging caliper. Is it both front wheels? All 4? Just one? Do you live in a mountainous location? I ask because maybe you're riding the brakes downhill a lot, that puts extra load on the brakes as well. I would recommend replaceing the rotors with OE or better (like drilled/slotted rotors) to dissapate the heat. Also look in to ceramic pads. These really help heat issues. But I wouldn't just throw money at the car. You need to find the root cause first. It could be a number of things: from the master cylinder, to the brake pedal return spring, to the indivual calipers themselves.

Or maybe you just sleep drive and keep your foot on the brake. (friday)

Back