Black marks on wheels.

njerald

I was looking at my daughters new CX-9 (2 weeks old).

There are black marks in irregular patterns on all the 20" wheels.

Used some wax/cleaner but they appears to be under the clear coat. Told her to go down to the dealer and ask for new wheels.

Anyone else have this marks?

njerald said:
I was looking at my daughters new CX-9 (2 weeks old).

There are black marks in irregular patterns on all the 20" wheels.

Used some wax/cleaner but they appears to be under the clear coat. Told her to go down to the dealer and ask for new wheels.

Anyone else have this marks?
Yes, I have the marks, too. Reported my finding last week, 4 new rims are on order.
rim.jpg

Is this caused by brake dust somehow affecting the clearcoat or somehow getting underneath it?

The reason I'm curious is that I've noticed the brake dust on my wheels and have cleaned it off every so often, but haven't really paid attention to look for the marks shown in OMF's picture. I'm wondering if this is something I have to keep track of.

Were the marks there when the vehicle was purchased?
Did they appear shortly after purchase?
Or have they developed over time?
Have they gotten worse?

I've found sometimes a wee tad spot of carburetor cleaner will take off stuff like that and not hurt the clear coat. Spot remove works too, just make sure you do it, then wipe it clean.

Of course, if the spots are etched into the clear coat, that's another story.

"Of course, if the spots are etched into the clear coat, that's another story." - And they are. No cleaner can remove them, not even professional cleaner solutions... That's why my dealer decided to replace them.

Dealer tried 7 cleaners and finally came to the conclusion that the marks are under the clear coat.

They contacted Mazda and ordered new wheels.

I noticed the same thing on my wheels.. I have the GT AWD with 20" wheels. Other than ordering new ones what else can be done? Did the dealer fight you on the replacement?
Thanks,
Craig

Scheduled for wheel replacement today.

Went to the dealer and left the car. They called and said the wheels that came in were 18'sm and wanted me to leave the car overnight until the new ones came in. No way!!!!

They took new wheels and triers off an in stock CX-9 and installed on mine.

They look good ...........and new tires............

I just got mine. GT with the 20s. Mine do not have this issue. Wonder if it will develope? Maybe they fixed the problems on the more recent ones sold? Mine has manufactured date in May.

It sounds like an impurity that happened to a batchj of cx-9's during manufacturing that must have gotten on the wheel before the clear coat was applied. Strange that it affected so many though.

I wonder what it would have been caused by.

Well, guess what? I have to retract my previous statement. After washing it today for the first time I inspected closely and now see that I have some of these marks along with what appears to be paint runs under the clearcoat of each wheel. Also, I have the left drift on any road surface that I drive above 50mph. To the dealer tomarrow.

From the repeatability success rate of the rim finishing "quality" I am positive that the quality management system of the Tier 126 supplier (somewhere in China, I guess) is QS-9000, TS-16949, ISO-9001 etc. certified.(gun)

There was a thread about the drifting. Did you see it...There is a service bulitin attached to the thread

Went to the dealer for service of the TSB. Drives great now. I marked the inside of the drivers front tire and it is still on the same side so they must have adjusted the bushings as in the TSB. The service tech did not know what the mechanic did to the 9. The paper work just said that they performed the TSB. Service manager was out on vacation so Ill have to wait till next week to talk about the wheels. So far the first service visit was outstanding.

I had this problem as well.
The service guy said the rear alignment was out and they adjusted it.
Drives like a charm now.

Back