Big brake upgrade (similar to brembo)

what set up is that? Please lmk. Love the wheels. Why you tease me this way šŸ˜¢šŸ˜€ lol

Tires are Falken Azeni FK510, 265/40/21, so wheels are definitely 21s. The rims look like HRE P111SC, which are monoblock wheels forged from 6061-T6 forged aluminum. I've never seen HREs with that centercap, which appears to say NEO or NSD or something along those lines. The finish also appears to be quite inconsistent, with it looking like rose gold in some areas and satin silver in others. It may just be the lighting, but I doubt it. There's a chance that these are replicas.

Not sure on brand of rotors, but they look legit (albeit way too aggressive for street use, probably). Calipers are not Brembo - if you look closely you'll see that they are just Brembo caliper covers.

In any event, the entire setup does look great! All it's missing IMO is a 1.5" drop.

Tires are Falken Azeni FK510, 265/40/21, so wheels are definitely 21s. The rims look like HRE P111SC, which are monoblock wheels forged from 6061-T6 forged aluminum. I've never seen HREs with that centercap, which appears to say NEO or NSD or something along those lines. The finish also appears to be quite inconsistent, with it looking like rose gold in some areas and satin silver in others. It may just be the lighting, but I doubt it. There's a chance that these are replicas.

Not sure on brand of rotors, but they look legit (albeit way too aggressive for street use, probably). Calipers are not Brembo - if you look closely you'll see that they are just Brembo caliper covers.

In any event, the entire setup does look great! All it's missing IMO is a 1.5" drop.

Thanks for the information. You have a good eye. The member did reply to me and sent me pics. Iā€™m not interested in his wheels though they are nice. They are NES forged 21ā€ wheels he stated.
mad for the calipers I am highly interested in that. Do not want any cover but actual calipers.
he sent me a pic of the and the mm he used. Know noting about that but Iā€™ll try to copy the pic on my tread here. Hope the gentleman doesnā€™t mind
1586024191174.jpeg

they look like legit calipers from what what he sent me. He said no special brackets are necessary. Iā€™m ready to buy A pair if I can get the correct configurations. Mazda should offer this option as an upgrade if anything. If not when I have more time Iā€™ll contact Brembo to see if they can help me

I'll recant my previous statement about the Brembos not being real. Something about them looked a bit off, but it's not like I have a ton of experience with BBKs to really know what I'm talking about šŸ¤£

Keep us posted on what Brembo says, and whether you can get a parts listing and price breakdown.

This will be an interesting thread to follow-up especially given the brake-fade issues reported in another thread.

That probably isn't an issue for most everyday driving, but I do plan on making frequent trips to Lake Tahoe so, if I do get the CX-9, it'll be nice to know if there are some brake upgrade options.

I'll recant my previous statement about the Brembos not being real. Something about them looked a bit off, but it's not like I have a ton of experience with BBKs to really know what I'm talking about šŸ¤£

Keep us posted on what Brembo says, and whether you can get a parts listing and price breakdown.

Definitely will keep you updated on all once I find out. This is so in my plans on getting this done to my cx9

Reviving this thread to see if Hhova29 was able to get in touch with Brembo and see what the results of that conversation might have been? I'm now in the hunt for bigger brakes as mine seem to fade every time I go to the mountains (it's happened 3 out of 3 times recently), although it drives perfectly in the lowlands. For me, it's just about ensuring my family's safety. For the record, the brakes have been checked (both by me and the dealer) and are fine, pads have a ton of life left (+55%) and the system seems to operate fine most of the time. I've contacted Wilwood as well, to see what they can offer and I'm waiting to hear back.

"...[brakes] fade every time I go to the mountains...."

1--downshift the engine...I know, not a lot of engine braking from out little 2.5L, but it's a help,
2--upgrade to brake pads with a higher temperature rating. (Be vary wary of the water content of the brake fluid in the car. Flush & renew the fluid every two years if you'll be in this high brake heat situation. Moisture in the brake fluid will flash to steam under extreme heat, your pedal goes to the floor, and you may crash.)

"...[brakes] fade every time I go to the mountains...."

1--downshift the engine...I know, not a lot of engine braking from out little 2.5L, but it's a help,
2--upgrade to brake pads with a higher temperature rating. (Be vary wary of the water content of the brake fluid in the car. Flush & renew the fluid every two years if you'll be in this high brake heat situation. Moisture in the brake fluid will flash to steam under extreme heat, your pedal goes to the floor, and you may crash.)
You're right on both counts.
  • I do #1 all the time.
  • Re #2, I've had the dealer check the fluid/pads, but it may be worth changing the pads myself to a more aggressive compound and flushing the fluid no matter how good it looks. At the least, that would eliminate those areas as potential failure points.

Reviving this thread to see if Hhova29 was able to get in touch with Brembo and see what the results of that conversation might have been? I'm now in the hunt for bigger brakes as mine seem to fade every time I go to the mountains (it's happened 3 out of 3 times recently), although it drives perfectly in the lowlands. For me, it's just about ensuring my family's safety. For the record, the brakes have been checked (both by me and the dealer) and are fine, pads have a ton of life left (+55%) and the system seems to operate fine most of the time. I've contacted Wilwood as well, to see what they can offer and I'm waiting to hear back.
Apologize for the late reply to you and all members thet I have communicated with. Iā€™ve been very busy because after recovering from Covid then my fiancĆ© had it and we had to quarantine. On top of all had a very good co worker/ delegate who contracted it and is still on medical leave. Iā€™ve spoken to a few of you in private chat on what I do for a living and do you guys will fill in the rest.
Nonetheless I have been trying to enjoy life family and this cx9. I purchased summer wheels for it that I never put on them to compliment this tread about the brembos. Contacted brembo and they were not helpful in the least. One foreign member fromChina gave me some tips but wouldnā€™t share which brembos he used exactly an/ or modified to fit. However cieka has helped out the most with providing templates and measurements that will fit my options on the cx9. Ceika is very expensive especially with the options I provided with oem 20ā€™s and bigger am summer wheels. Though they Wonā€™t really give me a deal despite haggling w them, again they gave me diagram/ templates I can share with you. ( will post soon once I take pics). Now I autocrosson occasion with my hooptee nissan, lol šŸ˜† and old bmw forum buddies, and a few very mechanically knowledgeable (not as ignorant as me w cars, lol), have toldme over the summer that with these template measurements and maybe a bracket they feel a brembo caliper out their might work for the front. The 1000000 Question is which one! I hope this helps and Iā€™ll post the templates pics soon but overall I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll get back on this caliper upgrade mission until after Christmas.

Thanks for posting that. I've also had zero luck getting anyone interested in trying to make something for this car. It's just not something most people want, apparently. I even tried to get a one off Wilwood set made, but got nowhere with that.

If you got the dough to get a one off maybe you can consider the following...

Grab a set of r35 gtr calipers, get some evo x 67.1 hub size rotors, get a machine shop to mill you the adapters. For the rear, get model s ebrake calipers to keep your ebrake function

Grab a set of r35 gtr calipers, get some evo x 67.1 hub size rotors, get a machine shop to mill you the adapters. For the rear, get model s ebrake calipers to keep your ebrake function

Thank you for that info. Something to look into. Never thought the ctr caliper could work. For their price though I think cieka can through in the rotors and pads. Iā€™ll start up working on this later on the end of the yr when Iā€™ll get some off time.

what I want to know and I know itā€™s for another thread is why Mazda made that beautiful soul red crystal metallic and yet it scratches easily, šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
Might invest in clear wrap first prio to these calipers

@Silly Wabbit Is there a write up you can link to that describes how/what parts all work together? I'd be interested in at least reading up on what's involved. Thx.

Hi all and happy new year.
So Iā€™ve been in contact with a vendor who Iā€™m waiting for a reply about the bbk for the Mazda. I hope they reply prior to me returning to work from the vacation time I have to burn. They assured me they can do it for a cx9. Iā€™ll keep you posted when I know more.

Hi all and happy new year.
So Iā€™ve been in contact with a vendor who Iā€™m waiting for a reply about the bbk for the Mazda. I hope they reply prior to me returning to work from the vacation time I have to burn. They assured me they can do it for a cx9. Iā€™ll keep you posted when I know more.
Bringing this thread back from the dead as I'm also currently looking for brake upgrades. There are a few here in Australia that claim to make compatible ones, but keen to know how you folks went.

In case anyone has the means and disposable income to explore this uncharted realm.

CX-9 Specs
Genesis Specs
Evo X Specs
370z Specs

The Nissan Akebono BBKs should be a more feasible route as they are readily available and reasonably priced at sub $1k. And then pair with Evo X 350mm rotors. Hurdle #1 would be machining the adapter for the front brakes. Hurdle #2 is needing to fab an adapter to mount the rear brake and also the Tesla e-brake. Hurdle #3 is figuring out how to wire from Mazda 3-Pin (I think) to Tesla 4-Pin plug for the e-brake.

I would imagine one can piece this together for about $2.5k. Hope this post can be an encouragement for someone to turn this into a reality.

Back