Best speakers?

I haven't done it on the MSP, but did on my 370Z. I went with Boston Acoustics subs and Infinity Kappa Perfect components, both powered by Boston Acoustic amps. The Infinitys are nice, but a bit harsh. if it had an active crossover I'd like it better, but it has a passive crossover with three set points. Combined with my head unit I can tune it in to how I like it, but without my head unit I would think they are too bright - almost tinny/metal sounding in the highest notes.

the Boston Acoustics I LOVE. This is a great brand that is VERY under rated. If you can afford the PRO 60SE I would highly recommend it. They are know for excellent sound quality. One thing to note, BA is stopping their car speaker development. So this will translate into lower prices while companies dump their current inventory, it will also mean replacement parts will be hard to find. I've had my set up for 3 years, pushing 500watts RMS to each sub and about 85-100watts to the components with no quality issues. And the sound quality is unmatched. Everyone who sits in my car says it sounds just like a recording studio. Every note is crisp and clear. You can hear each note, even at sound levels where you can't hear anythign else around the car. The bass shakes you, but only rattles the car a little on the outside (car has full dynomat and luxury liner from Second Skin) but isn't loud enough to hear down the block. It's perfect.

Another good company to look at would be Focal. Great stuff there, but again kind of pricey.

Last edited:
cool ill have to seeif anywhere in canada has ba. I was also thinkin about jl audio

a lot of people get caught up on brands, but i'm a firm believer that the install is way more important. find something that has a solid review rating, is made with good materials (things like rubber surrounds as opposed to foam, some sort of pole vent for cooling, etc) try and make sure you install it in a way that the baffle is strong, and you use some sound deadening to try and seperate the front wave from the back

even a $1200 set of hertz's will sound crummy if you just screw it in the stock speaker hole

Yeah brands don't always mean everything. I have some old school kenwood db9s in front, tweeters don't work, I disconnected the back door speakers, hooked up some cheap kenwoods above the back seat, set up two 12in audiobahns in ported box that fits perfectly in the stock mounting bracket powered by an old 1100 xplod monoblock. My system rocks the s*** out of most around.. Low pass filter for the bass under 120 and you can save your mids and highs for the front speakers. The amp and subs were in a car that was rolled I got them for 100 bucks and they work perfectly. If you plan on running a high powered amp, just remember the most important thing is WIRING. Get good quality wiring and you can save a lot of hassle with sound. Pay attention to the gauge, because a lot of brands will just wrap less wire with more rubber and that's not cool. I got screwed and learned this the hard way. Kicker wiring is the way to go. You want your amp to get plenty of juice, or it will get really HOT and sound crappy anyway. I just finally got around to installing my 1 farad cap because I have this nasty habit of leaving my HIDs on and don't want heavy bass hits on a battery with almost no crank amps..ha but yeah. $100 kenwood deck, $100 amp and subs, $50 wiring, $100 interior speakers, = ~$350 for some serious bumping and crisp mids and highs. Capacitor not necessary if you don't suck at life like me! ;P

I have Infinity Kappa 6x8 speakers up front and some decent Pioneer 6.5"s in the rear and it sounds pretty good. I got the Kappas for about $80 shipped brand new and they have lasted over 3 years now.

I'm running Alpine type S speakers, 5x7 front and 6x9 rear. It's plenty loud enough for my ears.

What is budget, and do you want bass or clarity, clarity or bass or in between.

Best speakers around that I've heard is focal. Amazing clarity with dec bass, but will set you back around 500-1k a pair
If your looking to spend around 100-300 Infinity is a tad bit better than pioneer or kenwood. Futureshop sell them and you can usually get them on sale for a dec price especially on sale.

But at the end of the day, they will all almost sound the exact same unless you got a good amp to wire it to.

What is budget, and do you want bass or clarity, clarity or bass or in between.

Best speakers around that I've heard is focal. Amazing clarity with dec bass, but will set you back around 500-1k a pair
If your looking to spend around 100-300 Infinity is a tad bit better than pioneer or kenwood. Futureshop sell them and you can usually get them on sale for a dec price especially on sale.

But at the end of the day, they will all almost sound the exact same unless you got a good amp to wire it to.
Im looking for nice clear base and clarity. I was thinking Jl's but i also heard focal was good. Im probabley gonna need a new amp too and might keep the stock sub.

a lot of people get caught up on brands, but i'm a firm believer that the install is way more important. find something that has a solid review rating, is made with good materials (things like rubber surrounds as opposed to foam, some sort of pole vent for cooling, etc) try and make sure you install it in a way that the baffle is strong, and you use some sound deadening to try and seperate the front wave from the back

even a $1200 set of hertz's will sound crummy if you just screw it in the stock speaker hole
I have 2 hertz speakers up front they sound nice but crackle sometimes because i think i did a bad connection. Im also worried they got water on them.

Ive been keeping a eye out in the junk yard lately for speakers and i have few choices
2012-06-04_15-03-07_886.jpg

this is a sub in an accura
2012-06-04_15-04-23_83.jpg

and check these out

click on the last picture its a video i couldnt fit in the trunk lol

I just put 6.5" Polk audios in my Honda and they sound great.

As for subs I have 2 12" Polk audios with a 500 rms watt amp in the protege and they do everything I want. Sound great but they just don't hit as hard as I would like. I wouldn't advise using their box as it weighs a good 50-60 lbs by its self

For best sound quality in high to mid range freqz go with Hertz. Alittle pricey but just like anything else u get what ya pay for. I've installed alot of car audio

New Jl w3 8" install. Keep in mind, I have never cut a trim ring in my life......

Sub was all tore up when I first looked at it. Over all it sounds pretty good for an 8" woofer. I dont need much bass anyways and I just like to have trunk space. Put some silicone in between the trim ring and the plastic so it wouldn't vibrate or leak air.

DSC_2679.jpg

DSC_2681.jpg

DSC_2680.jpg

DSC_2688.jpg

DSC_2689.jpg

DSC_2691.jpg

Rear speakers installed! Kicker KS60. Sound way better than the factory kenwood speakers, even though they were components. Had to source some new screws since kickers were like 1.5" inches and the factory were like 1/4" haha

DSC_2694.jpg

DSC_2693.jpg

I was going to put the removable tweeter in the factory tweeter pod but it is way to big, I would have to remove one of the mounting points for the panel. I don't like the way it looks but you will never see it and it sounds great! Factory speaker was 4 ohm and had the included tweeter and this component set is also running at 4 ohm so I left the factory tweeter in place. I plan on installing a JL 300/4 amp on the doors and a 250.1 on the 8".

Kicker Ks62 Component set
DSC_2727.jpg

Back