Best CV Axle Replacement

Bted

:
Mazda Protege5
I had to replace the driver's side CV axle when I bought my P5 two years ago. We got a CarQuest axle and in the two years of owning my car, the same axle has had to be replaced twice. There's a lifetime warranty on the part so it was free both times, but the third one is now taking a dump and I'd rather have a nicer one that I don't have to worry about replacing anymore. We called the local Mazda dealer, and they told us the OEM part is no longer made. What are good aftermarket brands?

Go to O'Reilly Auto parts or Napa Auto parts. They always have good quality, never had issues with their parts. AutoZone has some shotty parts, had to swap them out several times before I got one that fit.

Got "import direct" from O'Reilly because I needed them on short notice. I'm happy with them all except for the fact that they're uncoated bare steel. So they rusted instantly, and look disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I've had the worst luck with carquest axles. Had 2 in a row that vibrated under acceleration. Got tired of it and bought a used oem axle off eBay. Same issue with the wife's car. I definitely forgot and did the same thing again. 3 carquest axles later (they all vibrated under acceleration), went with a napa axle and all is good.

Thanks guys. I've now ordered a Cardone axle. Should be here next Wednesday. I bought a TrakMotive axle today as a last-resort, temporary since I'm going on a relatively long trip on Sunday and don't really wanna be riding on a broken axle. The steering wheel is shaking at anything above 70 mph, which is what it was doing with the old axle as well. Ugh. Guess I'll just have to drive slow this weekend. But I'll let you all know how the Cardone axle works out once we get it in.

Guys...I've been driving this thing with no clip on the axle. Lol! Glad I haven't died since there was actually nothing holding it in the trans. Should be here tomorrow, so hopefully all will be well soon. Does RockAuto take returns?? Hopefully the TrakMotive will work fine now and I won't need to put in the Cardone.

Rockauto does take returns. They'll email you a shipping label and all and take shipping costs out of your refund

Rockauto does take returns. They'll email you a shipping label and all and take shipping costs out of your refund

This^^ I've made two returns with Rockauto, exactly as described above, and they were the easiest returns I've ever dealt with!

Well, axle doesn't seem to be the problem afterall. The clip was on it already, and the wobble is still there. I'll probably make a new thread about this shake and post the link here.

I'm replacing the front passenger CV axle in mine and having a time as well. Disassembled it 3 times so far and I think the problem is the CV axle I got from Oreilly, this one:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_01424_1416833_-1&pt=01424&ppt=C0362

After the first install, got everything back on, filled the tranny and ran out of gear oil, let it sit overnight so I could get more, next day I get under there and it's been leaking from the CV axle/tranny hole. I figure it's just not in there good so I pound on it as best I can in that position. Then I disassemble it all and pound on it some more in a straight position, but it still just spins in the tranny and doesn't catch the gear teeth. Reassemble thinking maybe once I get it back together and running it'll seat properly, but everythings spinning.

Then I remember seeing something on another forum about CV axles being the wrong diameter or not having the right number of teeth, so I disassemble again, and the new CV axle is a smaller diameter than the original.

Will be trying to work this out with Oreilly tomorrow as I'm sposed to take it on a trip this weekend.

Will see out it goes.

I'm replacing the front passenger CV axle in mine and having a time as well. Disassembled it 3 times so far and I think the problem is the CV axle I got from Oreilly, this one:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_01424_1416833_-1&pt=01424&ppt=C0362

After the first install, got everything back on, filled the tranny and ran out of gear oil, let it sit overnight so I could get more, next day I get under there and it's been leaking from the CV axle/tranny hole. I figure it's just not in there good so I pound on it as best I can in that position. Then I disassemble it all and pound on it some more in a straight position, but it still just spins in the tranny and doesn't catch the gear teeth. Reassemble thinking maybe once I get it back together and running it'll seat properly, but everythings spinning.

Then I remember seeing something on another forum about CV axles being the wrong diameter or not having the right number of teeth, so I disassemble again, and the new CV axle is a smaller diameter than the original.

Will be trying to work this out with Oreilly tomorrow as I'm sposed to take it on a trip this weekend.

Will see out it goes.

Oreilly's axles were the shittiest of them all for me. They'd last 6 months at best before they would start snapping and popping, even though the boots were fine.

Instead of pounding, get the axle started in the transmission and insert it all the way in the hub (with the hub assembly unbolted from the ball joint), then grab a hold of the rotor and shove the axle in from there.

Back