2016~2023 Best brake disks / pads / parts for CX-9?

Any suggestions on brake parts for a 2018 CX9 AWD?

At 45K, my rear pads are shot and I'm planning to replace rotors + pads + hardware.

I had a look at Brembo's OEM site but they only offer pads (no rotors).

Thanks.

Will you replace fronts as well? I'd try to keep both ends with about the same brake material, either very aggressive on both ends (Brembo, etc), or moderate (like OEM or equivalent). Rotors can be any good quality brand. keep the pad material equivalent to stock. I'm also a fan of flushing and renewing the brake fluid periodically with any good brand of DOT3 fluid.

Below is what I finally used on my old 2017. They worked just as well as stock. I found the OEM pads work best on the rear. I've tried Raybestos Element3 pads. I've also tried EBC redstuff pads. Both these were put on the front and they both had too much bite for my liking. I prefer more linear braking with this vehicle. The rear requires putting the caliper in maintenance mode. I also flushed the fluid.

Front
RAYBESTOS 982130
AKEBONO ACT1258

Rear
RAYBESTOS 982129
Mazda (TKY8-26-48ZB)

I found this site to be helpful:

Below is what I finally used on my old 2017. They worked just as well as stock. I found the OEM pads work best on the rear. I've tried Raybestos Element3 pads. I've also tried EBC redstuff pads. Both these were put on the front and they both had too much bite for my liking. I prefer more linear braking with this vehicle. The rear requires putting the caliper in maintenance mode. I also flushed the fluid.

Front
RAYBESTOS 982130
AKEBONO ACT1258

Rear
RAYBESTOS 982129
Mazda (TKY8-26-48ZB)

I found this site to be helpful:
Thanks E2!

Where did you source your parts from?

Has anyone tried the (OEM style) pads sold by BREMBO, Pagid, or Textar?

Last edited:
Will you replace fronts as well? I'd try to keep both ends with about the same brake material, either very aggressive on both ends (Brembo, etc), or moderate (like OEM or equivalent). Rotors can be any good quality brand. keep the pad material equivalent to stock. I'm also a fan of flushing and renewing the brake fluid periodically with any good brand of DOT3 fluid.
My fronts still have 6MM, so quite a bit of life left in them.

If I stray from the stock pad compound, I may replace all four corners. That said, not going for an option that's not going to yield at least 40K+ miles of service.

Agree re brake fluid.

Thanks E2!

Where did you source your parts from?

Has anyone tried the (OEM style) pads sold by BREMBO?

Mazdaswag for OEM. Their prices are low and they’re close to me so shipping is reasonable. RockAuto for aftermarket parts.

Ended up ordering Brembo pads and Raybestos rotors.

Front rotors: 143538-05864151; rear rotors: 143538-05864149

Front pads: P49040N; rear pads: P49062N

Will report back after they are installed.

In addition to the hardware kit that is supplied with the pads, any other parts that should be replaced (pins, etc)? Will have fluid changed out.

Last edited:
Do you always replace the rotors, or were these grooved to the point where they needed replacement?

Do you always replace the rotors, or were these grooved to the point where they needed replacement?

The edges are pretty rusty/crusty and need to be turned. I figured that for a little more than the machining work, might as well just replace. That said, my Mazda dealer told me that Mazda rotors are serviceable/turnable unlike many other makes.

The question is whether there is enough material in the discs to allow them to be resurfaced and still exceed the minimum thickness spec. Thinner is cheaper, lighter to save fuel, and throw-away. And, as you say, new discs may not cost much more than resurfacing.

Having dealer install new pads and discs Friday. $250 per axle (excluding fluid flush). Could probably have it done cheaper elsewhere but I'm pretty happy with the dealer.

After dropping car + parts off at dealer, got a call from dealer. newparts.com sent me the wrong rear pads. Super annoying. luckilly the dealer had OE pads in stock. So I've got Brembo pads in front, OE pads in rear (w/. Raybestos Element3 rotors all around). I'll swap out the pads when the boneheads at newparts get the right parts over to me.

So far, no major differences in terms of brake pedal feel or stopping power. Sadly, the CX9 does not suddenly have BMW brakes. I'll report back after a few tanks of gas.

Last edited:
Alright, so has been a few thousand miles. Quick update here.

The Brembo pad 'feels' more or less the same as the OE pad but seem to dust a bit more and longevity is unproven. Also, I've noticed some low-speed squel/squeak when cold.

I feel pretty confident saying that the factory pad is better than the Brembo NAO/Ceramic pads. I might also try the an AKEBONO product.

As for the rotors, the Raybestos Element3 rotors (which are coated) seem fine. No major difference from factory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Good info to know when I need to replace.

Back