Base Model Diesel in Oz?

RichieB

:
Mitsubishi Lancer
Good Afternoon All.

A quick question to the forum. What is the likelihood of a base model diesel CX5 ( preferably FWD and manual ) being released in Australia?

I will soon be looking to buy a compact SUV, and by all reports the CX5 is the way to go, but the high price of the cheapest diesel ($AUD 39,040) takes it out of my reach.

In the UK Mazda offer a base model diesel in both FWD ( lower output ) and AWD. Their cheapest diesel is only 1,600 pounds ( $AUD 2,400 ) more than the cheapest petrol model. Add $2,400 to the cheapest petrol model in OZ and you get $30,390, for a car that returns 61mpg, which I think roughly equates to 4.7L/100km.

UK Pricing:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Mazda-CX-5/261316/

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

A quick question to the forum. What is the likelihood of a base model diesel CX5 ( preferably FWD and manual ) being released in Australia?

Hi Rich. I don't think the diesel will be released on the lowest model Australia.

Mazda's factory in Hiroshima is unique. When I was last there a while back, my tour guide was explaining that Mazda currently holds the record for vehicle variations (country and model variations) on the one production line. Very impressive. A computer system programs in hundred of variations, and delivers each of the required parts "just-in-time" to the production line.
Very impressive to see a UK bound MX-5 with a list of UK specifications followed by a completely different model bound for Mexico following it.

Other manufacturers do it slightly differently, but the system really makes it flexible.

But the system also lets the Mazda in each reason really make their delivered model which best fits the country.

To make Australian models, Mazda Australia has already selected the specifications required for the country based on statistics, market research and Australian law. An example of this is that we get the same spec transmissions as the US but the European spec steering. It really can be that different.

Market research bites us though. It seems neither of us were asked :)

Previous Australian market research has found two points I think may be flawed:
1. Diesel tends to be purchased by those wanting more options
2. Those buying more options tend to want automatic transmission

For this reason, the diesel is only found on Maxx Sport and the Grand Touring. But for example, the bluetooth and reverse camera are standard across the range.
We're the only country with our specific model naming and specifications. Likewise, the US gets the list of specifications that Mazda USA demanded.

In the UK for example, the market demands manual across the range. In Japan market research was wrong, estimating only 10% of the market would buy diesels. But so far it's been closer to 3/4's.

Mazda Australia might not deliver you a diesel for you at the price you want. But maybe in a year when so many complain, you'll get your diesel and others will get their manual transmission :)

Time will tell....

Last edited:
Hi Rich. I don't think the diesel will be released on the lowest model Australia.

Mazda Australia might not deliver you a diesel for you at the price you want. But maybe in a year when so many complain, you'll get your diesel and others will get their manual transmission :)

Time will tell....

Hi Inodes,

Thanks for the eloquent and educated reply to my question.

I'm leaning towards re-novating my current car for 12 months in the hope that Mazda Australia "see the light" and ask Japan to build some base model diesels. I may well be hoping in vain, but as good as the petrol CX5 is, I can't help feeling that I'll regret what I see as having to settle for second best.

By the way, how is the diesel? Is it as good as the reviews suggest?

Last edited:
By the way, how is the diesel? Is it as good as the reviews suggest?

Despite boats arriving brimmed with Diesel brilliance on the 5th March (Sydney), I have a feeling Mazda have held them back until their release today. Typically from wharf to dealer is damn sight quicker.

I've just been reading reviews and hearing any peeps of news through from Japan. Dealers who have done training say it's night and day between the two.
I've put down for the diesel on the basis of decent performance and extremely good fuel economy. Furthermore, the difference in price between the petrol and diesel pays for itself in resale and fuel over less than 2 years.

Watch this space.... I'll post a review when I finally do the diesel test drive (the petrol one is already posted - was great, albeit a tad slow off the line)

Despite boats arriving brimmed with Diesel brilliance on the 5th March (Sydney), I have a feeling Mazda have held them back until their release today. Typically from wharf to dealer is damn sight quicker.

I've just been reading reviews and hearing any peeps of news through from Japan. Dealers who have done training say it's night and day between the two.
I've put down for the diesel on the basis of decent performance and extremely good fuel economy. Furthermore, the difference in price between the petrol and diesel pays for itself in resale and fuel over less than 2 years.

Watch this space.... I'll post a review when I finally do the diesel test drive (the petrol one is already posted - was great, albeit a tad slow off the line)

I look forward to it.

Thanks. All the more reason to hold off I reckon.

Hopefully they change their mind. Would you consider the petrol? The fuel economy and handling are still very decent - better than the competition.

Hopefully they change their mind. Would you consider the petrol? The fuel economy and handling are still very decent - better than the competition.
Yes, I am definitely considering the manual Maxx model. The combination of light weight and manual transmission will hopefully translate to acceptable performance. My only concern is how it will perform when loaded up with 4 people and their luggage.

There's only one way to find out, so I'm off for a test drive soon. I'll let you know how I go.

What is the likelihood of a base model diesel CX5 ( preferably FWD and manual ) being released in Australia?

This was answered today:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/164246/mazda-says-no-to-entry-level-diesels/

Mazda Australia managing director Doug Dickson confirmed the brand had no plans to introduce an entry-level CX-5 Maxx diesel model, and is unlikely to offer base model diesels when it launches the next Mazda6 and Mazda3.

Then crontradicted:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/superfrugal-cx5-a-possibility-20120321-1vjg4.html

The car maker has not ruled out an entry-level version of its diesel, which in the CX-5 is limited to the more costly mid-level Maxx Sport and range-topping Grand Touring models.

Last edited:
Then crontradicted:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/superfrugal-cx5-a-possibility-20120321-1vjg4.html

The car maker has not ruled out an entry-level version of its diesel, which in the CX-5 is limited to the more costly mid-level Maxx Sport and range-topping Grand Touring models.

Mate, you are the fount of all CX5 wisdom. There may be some hope after all. 4.7L/100km would be pretty amazing.

The other option available for the CX-5 is a version tuned specifically for fuel economy, which Dickson says has the potential to get the diesel-engined CX-5’s already class-leading fuel economy of 5.7 litres per 100 kilometres down by about another 1.0L/100km — with the 4.7L/100km fuel use rate undercutting the figures for the smallest offerings in the Mazda range including the tiny Mazda2 city car and even the diesel-engined Mazda3.

We have decided not to go with any petrol CUV, we want a manual diesel. The Tiguan is too small, the nissan too ugly, so that leaves the Forestor. I read today that the next Outlander is due out this year, and it will have a manual diesel in it's range.

Mate, you are the fount of all CX5 wisdom.
I just read, listen and remember. An interested mind is like a sponge.

We have decided not to go with any petrol CUV, we want a manual diesel. The Tiguan is too small, the nissan too ugly, so that leaves the Forestor. I read today that the next Outlander is due out this year, and it will have a manual diesel in it's range.

I wish I could get manual diesel as well. As far as automatic transmissions go though, it's very smooth and has the manual mode. Naturally, nothing can replace the manual experience.

Back