Bad "shark fin" antenna-- Sirius not working

andyg

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Hi all-- I picked up my CX-5 GT last Saturday. Love the car.One (relatively) minor issue.The Sirius satellite radio is not working--sits on "acquiring signal" and never gets past that. The day I picked up the car and the salesman was sitting inside it with me going over all the controls, etc, Sirius was on acquiring signal but we kind of brushed it off. All the way home, no Sirius. I called the dealership and spoke to the salesman-- he seemed to think it was my fault and said I should just wait because it takes a while. Now, I have Sirius radio in our other family car and the one I traded in for the CX-5, and it locks on a signal in a few seconds, so 3 hours seemed excessive (wow)

Anyway, I had an appointment to have it looked at yesterday and they diagnosed a bad shark fin antenna-- per the tech it had very high resistance. They stated this is the first time they have seen it, and of course they didnt have another one in stock. They ordered a replacement that should be in by next week, so they say.

Just wondering, anyone else have a similar issue?

no- its not finding any signal--nothing--not even the preview channel. Cant activate it until it is done with "acquiring signal" mode

According to the dealer, the wiring is fine. The antenna itself is bad. By the way--still waiting for the part--over a week now. Was coming from Detroit, then California, now somewhere in Canada. I think they should have taken one off a car in stock, but they would not do that

There are several points where I would inspect. #1 would be the connection at the shark-fin, #2 would be at the radio connection, #3 would be to perform the preliminary sirius install/setup on the radio headunit again.

Of course since you are under warranty, you should just let the dealer do their thing. But we know how that can go sometimes...

There are several points where I would inspect. #1 would be the connection at the shark-fin, #2 would be at the radio connection, #3 would be to perform the preliminary sirius install/setup on the radio headunit again.

Of course since you are under warranty, you should just let the dealer do their thing. But we know how that can go sometimes...

The dealer seems to have eliminated everything except the antenna itself. The dont have one in stock, and so far have not been able to get one, but they did borrow an aftermarket Sirius antenna from their parts dept (the little square magnetic one) and hooked that up in place of the shark fin--radio immediaely locked on the signal and was working.

Back