Axle-back exhaust upgrade for CX-50 Turbo?

I see that Corksport has released their sport exhaust for the CX50. It looks nice in the photos. The sound clip based on mazda3 also sounds nice (exterior) but can't tell much about cabin sound due to wind and tire noise dominating their video/audio.

Glad they are offering this product though.

Also there are two offerings from LP Adventure that are axle back systems: one is a muffler delete and the other has twin smaller mufflers. These systems are much less money than CS (probably partly due to the CAD exchange rate). Personally I can’t attest to the sounds of any of them but my experience with other turbo 4-cylinders indicates that you are more likely to avoid any drone if you don’t change downpipe or mid/pipe-resonator configuration.

And I should add, in fairness to Corksport since I’m commenting on their product and I have no actual familiarity with it: the CS system does replace midpipe/resonator but it is fully engineered t work with the axle back portion so I wouldn’t think it would have drone either. My 2cents.

If only doing axle back, I might suggest a Magnaflow muffler welded in by an exhaust shop. Much cheaper.

On my Trans Am I had a custom system made using Magnaflow mufflers fed by a newer type of glass pack in the straight section in the middle of the car. The combination led to a very deep, smooth, powerful sound. I thought it was one of the best sounding cars in town. I wish I could remember what brand it was. It was not cherry bomb or thrush but a new kind of design.

If only doing axle back, I might suggest a Magnaflow muffler welded in by an exhaust shop. Much cheaper.

On my Trans Am I had a custom system made using Magnaflow mufflers fed by a newer type of glass pack in the straight section in the middle of the car. The combination led to a very deep, smooth, powerful sound. I thought it was one of the best sounding cars in town. I wish I could remember what brand it was. It was not cherry bomb or thrush but a new kind of design.
Magnaflow mufflers barely flow any better than the OEM muffler, yet offer only a fraction of necessary backpressure during driving, with a rattly fart of an exhaust note as the added feature. Def no.

Magnaflow mufflers barely flow any better than the OEM muffler, yet offer only a fraction of necessary backpressure during driving, with a rattly fart of an exhaust note as the added feature. Def no.
Sorry to hear. That was definitely not the case with my LS1. They were one of the best options.

For any turbo engine, the less exhaust pressure (AKA backpressure) the better! For N/A engines, this is also true, however the exhaust needs to be tuned to the engine for best scavenging and flow, so a free-er flowing exhaust may not necessarily improve power - but not because of (back)pressure, per se.

I thought we were changing exhaust for sound, not power. It's not like we're talking headers, etc.

I thought we were changing exhaust for sound, not power. It's not like we're talking headers, etc.
Yes. That.. on a CX-50 there is no meaningful power to be unleashed by an exhaust change. For power you would also need software blah blah.
This thread is really just about getting better (and a bit more) sound.

That said, I bought the Lachute Performance // LP Adventure axle back and intalled it a week ago. It is a very nicely made part. Welds are nice, it fits perfectly. Easy to Install.

Out of the box, sound is quite boomy and lots of drone between 2000 and 2800 rpm. After 300 miles, it is MUCH better, so the resonators (there are two, one on each half of the branch to the tips) obviously are breaking in and the sound is getting much more mellow without as much drone. It remains to be seen how much / how far this improving will go in time. I think the packing in the resonators needs to loosen up with use and heat cycling. I’m giving it 1000 miles or so and will then make a decision whether to go for the Corksport system which I’m confident is very good….I only tried the LP because it was much less expensive but this could end up being an expensive experiment!

Since my last post I've listened to all of the Mazda 2.5 NA and Turbo exhaust clips I could find on YouTube, and I have to say that I don't like any of them. That includes Borla, Corksport, Magnaflow, and some others I can't remember the names of.

The ONLY thing I've found that sounded good (smooth and deep with no rasp, no fart can sounds, etc) was something surprisingly simple.

Back