AWR Gstock Mazdaspeed Protege

:
97camaroSS e30 318is Spicy #1348
Im starting this thread to sort of document my slow development of my Gstock MSP. Purchased this car off a member on here. I was specifically looking for a bone stock car in spicy. BTW, its getting tough finding a stock MSP these days!

started off by repainting the front bumper, adding back the stock spoiler, replacing plugs and wires, changing fluids, and cleaning up the headlights. I had to find a stock rear subwoofer/amp/enclosure, which i got off here too, and then got a stock airbox since it came with a cone filter off the airflow sensor. this is what it looked like a few days after i got it home....

I did tint the windows and added the parts back....

next was some freshening up. I had to replace the front bushings....they squeaked like crazy, and since this is technically my wifes baby hauler(i didnt mention this part?), it had to be done right away......

now came some stock class mods. I had to get a rear swaybar that i could adjust! This is a crucial part of the rules, changed a few years back, that would allow front wheel drive cars some extra rotation. I was in Dstock in a JCW mini, codriving the 2nd place car at nats, and this made all the difference in the world! I contacted Toni at AWR, his parts are no stranger to the MSP world. I was in a hurry due to my procrastination to make the first event at Lincoln air park, so Toni got me one asap, but i did have to paint it since he had no powdercoated ones finished when i called.

not only did the AWR bar cure my clunk, it also made a huge difference in stiffness driving around town. i got ahold of some wheels and used some OLD tires we had left over from the Mini, my codriver is now in a TT(it IS the only Dstock car youll ever need). I used the 225/45 Hoosiers all around. they seemed good on the 75* day i drove the OPR off of them in town, but they sucked on the windy 45* day in Lincoln! It was a terrible outting for me. I ended up adjusting the rear bar pretty stiff and ran 60psi in the rear tires, but with the age of the tires and how cold it was, i was chasing handling id never get on that day. I did however get 6runs, but never got used to the car

the next event in the car would be Spring Nationals in Lincoln airpark, a month later. I got some more of the leftover Mini tires we ran last year, BFG's 245's front, 235 rears. forgot to mention earlier that i did get an alignment before the first event, -1.2 front and -.5 rear. decided to run toe out in front 1/8 total. wish i would have tried the rear as well. the Pro went sort of well. I was lumped in a crazy difficult S3 bump class. The ex Priebe/carpenter Celica showed up with Eckert driving. It would be a good test for sure. I managed to come within .2 of it on the left side, but never got a good right side run. The 2nd day was rain, sooooo the first day standings were how it stayed. i ended up T5 out of 13, .6 away from the lead!

The car was pretty good with the AWR rear bar as stiff as i could get it with the endlinks behind the trailing arms( i will try to put the links on the inside of the trailing arms soon for more stiffness, this is the beauty of this bar). I had horrific wheel hop most runs off the line. It was bad! I new i had either a blown front strut or a torn motor mount. We checked after day 2 runs were done and for sure have a passenger side one torn. it never let me get good launches. I wish i would have just replaced all of them before tires and winning$ were at stake, haha.

a couple of random pics. i love everything about this car

740hp Godzilla

The 235's in the rear are the max tire you can run....

in grid at the tour part of spring nationals

ended up .3 out of first on day 1. It wasnt a drag race start, so the car didnt wheelhop off the line but did coming out of some of the corners...i should have changed those damn motor mounts! my best run on day 1

and of course, it rains on day 2! no rain tires, unless you consider all-season goodyear gt's competitive rain tires

i dropped to 3rd and had a terrible time driving the second day. no rain grip and a shame i couldnt have a chance to win on day 2. I have to go back to the drawing board and order all new motor/tranny mounts. Need rain tires, probably toyo's! I have to figure out how to get through a set of Pro solo runs without heatsoaking and losing boost. I could only get three of the four runs with boost. It just fell on its face and didnt wanna run. At tours and regular events i think i will put an ice bag in a pillow case and drape it over the intercooler piping while i spray the hell out of everything with water. It seemed to work on the first day of the tour. I may also try to run 235's all around too with some toe out in the rear

It was a good outing though. Huge thanks to Toni at AWR for parts and tech support and to Craig Wilcox. i think it could do very well at nationals with some new struts(working on that too) and more seat time. im gonna find out!

Last edited:
I think I saw myself working a corner in your video! :D

Nice driving, the video does no justice to the speed on that layout. And the rain on day two was ridiculous. I can't wait for midwest monsoon season to be over with :D

Front mount
20130615_160748_zpsf9ea9c5f.jpg

20130615_160759_zps00a75c2b.jpg

Did the passenger side too
20130615_162602_zps06e9b9de.jpg

20130615_162610_zps2e21fb2d.jpg

20130615_162702_zpsa907f3f2.jpg

Went for a test drive and noticed more vibration from the drivers side mount. Must be cause the others are now putting more stress on the ones that are still jacked up. Gonna do both drivers and the dreaded rear mount tomorrow. Hopefully, the car is completely different after that. I think Im going to find that both of those are bad too

The drivers side mount looked fine. I almost didn't replace it. The rear was more than done. Im surprised how that mount seems to do the most work and its also the one that feels the weakest of the big mount. The center of the mount was almost as easy to move as the front mount within its housing brand new.

I took it out and did several pro solo style launches and immediately smiled. Its also alot easier to grab second quickly and not miss a shift.

kcrscca-event7_103_zpsc36ce43a.jpg

Haven't had much time to make events in the car. Went to the Colorado match tour and ended up running RTA in Craig Wilcox's TT. Placed second in class behind Craig in a class with some good RTA drivers. Placed 11th in the match tournament.

The pic is from a local Kansas City event. The course had many power sections out of slow corners. I had some boost issues that wouldn't let me get going very well. I ordered up a new set of boost vacuum hoses, "t-hose". Part # 0000-88-c88 They don't make this anymore, so what's left in stock is what's left. Probably could have made these hoses and spend a ton less, but i didn't want an issues with the rules. $53 through the mazdaspeed motorsports support.

Ordered my tires for nationals, gonna run a square 235 BFG setup instead of the 245 fronts

Went to heartland park, former nationals site, this weekend for a divisional. Got to weigh the car, 2714#. Wish i would have taken out the random crap out of it, probably five pounds worth. Still on stock exhaust and had 3/8 tank of gas. Looks like it will dip into the high 2600's all said and done

Hey,Buddy whatever recycling you have done in your car I just loved it but I didn't get what are you trying to tell through this thread.Do reply.

Really more so i don't have to write it down, lol. This just makes it easier to have pics in with my thoughts at the time and maybe help anyone doing a msp for stock class.

Also, alot of people are afraid to go try autocross cuz they think they need X amount of power or high dollar stuff. This should show how easy it is to have a competitive car

Back