AWD vs 2WD Sales

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I wonder what the percentages are for AWD vs 2WD sales up there. I know it must vary state by state according to snowfall but overall sales. I have no hard information for here in Colombia but judging by what I see in the shopping center parking lots I would guess 25 % AWD.. And by the way I see a LOT of CX-5s in those parking lots. Of course there is no snow in Colombia except for the highest mountains where there are no roads. There are plenty of rural dirt roads though that require all or more likely 4wd after rain but I'd say not many CX-5s travel those. So just curious abouts estimates for stateside.

It's going to depend on what part of the US you survey. I just did an inventory search on the Mazda USA website. Within 250 miles of Boston, there are no 2WD CX-5's for sale right now. All are AWD.

Then I tried Orlando, and there about 25% are AWD, the rest are 2WD.

AWD Mazdas used to be nearly nonexistent in Florida - the dealers did not stock them at all. This was actually pretty common here across brands - trying to find an AWD Honda Pilot a few years ago was nearly impossible, the dealers didn't want to stock them because they would sit on the lots for months.

Obviously, with the new Signature trims coming with AWD standard, it's available here now.

In Arizona I havent seen any AWD except the Signatures. And I dont see that many Signatures as well :)
I see GT models and primarily Touring FWD models. Its a strictly FWD market here for the crossover segment. Probably similar in California which is a big market.
So yes its very geo location specific. Dealers order what sells locally.
Until few years back they didnt sell lots of Mazdas here (used to be and still is truck land here) but past 2 years they sell lot more and now I see more on the road.

Last edited:
AWD Mazdas used to be nearly nonexistent in Florida - the dealers did not stock them at all. This was actually pretty common here across brands - trying to find an AWD Honda Pilot a few years ago was nearly impossible, the dealers didn't want to stock them because they would sit on the lots for months.

Obviously, with the new Signature trims coming with AWD standard, it's available here now.
The same here in Texas. When I was shopping for a 2016 CX-5 AWD in Feb. 2015, there’s nothing in the entire Texas state. I had to special order one which took 23 days to arrive.

I just checked my local Mazda dealer's website. They have 63 CX-5's on the lot and 59 of them are AWD. AWD vehicles are common in areas that get a decent amount of snow.

Back